PDA

View Full Version : Powertube tip unscrewed itself

Shirow
04-16-2011, 09:21 PM
So, this is a new one for me...

Haven't played in a few months, between the winter and a new job, I wasn't able to get out to the field for a while.

Well, I'm planning on heading out tomorrow, so I went and got my tank filled, oiled my gun and made sure she was shooting good before I left to play.

Got a little carried away dry firing it after so long and played around walking the trigger a little, etc.

Suddenly, the bolt starts sticking forward a little after the first shot. I ungas it, gas it up again, shoots one shot fine and leaks. I do this 4-5 times and it keeps leaking. Look at the tank, 1200psi left so I have enough gas.

It is pneued so I wondered if there was something up with the ram. Took the grips off, took a look, everything looked OK.

So I take out the valve and remove the bolt.. the powertube tip has unscrewed itself and I can see the o-ring..

Never seen this happen before. Wasn't a big deal, screwed it back down tight and it shoots great again.. just a weird occurrence. I don't generally dryfire my gun at all other than to oil it so maybe it's common if you're ripping a tank full of air through it without any paint in it but, yeah..

georgeyew
04-16-2011, 11:00 PM
Was this on an Xvalve? If so, you can try putting a drop of loctite to keep it from coming loose int he future.

Shirow
04-17-2011, 07:08 AM
Was this on an Xvalve? If so, you can try putting a drop of loctite to keep it from coming loose int he future.

No, it's a ReTro

Drix
04-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Thats odd, there shouldn't be any twisting motion there at all. Do you have a custom cut spring that may not be applying pressure flat to the bolt?

A tiny dab of locktite will fix this no problem, but might be a pain in the ass if you have to change carriers. Teflon tape might be a bit more useful if you plan on getting in there again with ease.

snoopay700
04-17-2011, 01:32 PM
It's happened to me, i think it's just when it's only hand tightened that it happens though.

Shirow
04-17-2011, 05:48 PM
It's happened to me, i think it's just when it's only hand tightened that it happens though.

That's what I was wondering. I can't really remember when I last removed it, cranked it down tight this time.

No custom cut spring.