PDA

View Full Version : Small bore barrel kit

Shirow
04-18-2011, 07:53 PM
iFit doesn't look too good to me. Best one I've found so far seems to be the FLASC - any other recommendations? I'd like a couple of backs around .675 - .680ish.

I already have a J&J kit with massive bores so I am looking for something small and available.

Ando
04-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Ty can make brass freak backs in any size. I have a .675 and .670 and love them.

Shirow
04-19-2011, 06:33 AM
Ty can make brass freak backs in any size. I have a .675 and .670 and love them.

That is what I am tending towards right now, was just wondering if there were other/better options - haven't seen any yet.

cockerpunk
04-19-2011, 10:23 AM
the lurker is probbaly you best bet - at least in cocker threads anyway

KurtPB
04-19-2011, 12:02 PM
What about the iFit "doesn't look too good"? You can also get the backs of regular barrels milled out to take iFit, Freak and other inserts.

Shirow
04-19-2011, 12:42 PM
What about the iFit "doesn't look too good"? You can also get the backs of regular barrels milled out to take iFit, Freak and other inserts.

The fact that it is only a couple of inches long and I don't really want to add length to my barrels or have that short of a control bore.

I actually found that J&J has backs going down to .676 now and I already have a couple of tips so I just got some smaller backs for that.

Dover
04-19-2011, 05:37 PM
just curious, what do you guys shoot with such a small bore?

i find that the Total Freak kit does the job, especially since paint rarely gets that small

the biggest problem i have is Reballs, they fall through even the smallest Freak insert, .679

therefore i bought the Reball Freak insert and it works like a charm...

StygShore
04-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Last year some of the paint I shot rolled out of a .679. so far this year everything seems to be averaging about .686.

I'm wondering if the paint manufacturers kinda got called out on how small their paint was last year because even shooting the same brand of paint, the paint is slightly larger this year compared to last.

Styg

OPBN
04-20-2011, 09:15 AM
I guess I need to find something that explains how paintballs are made. Must be totally different than I thought since the way I imagined it, it would be a really big issue to reset the size.

Edit: Went on and checked and it is pretty much what I thought. I guess they would just swap out the rollers for ones with smaller pockets, but seems odd that they would keep varying the paint size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gneZc_hafDE

Dover
04-20-2011, 01:14 PM
i was sponsored by Diablo back in the '90s and their paint, especially Hellfire tournament grade, was unbelievably small...

seems to me that if you apply physics, with consideration to how they are made, wouldn't you want to boast or make claims that your balls pack the most fill ?

or you have the biggest balls in the market ? :p

spece108
04-21-2011, 12:55 AM
There was a reason for that. For a 3 year stretch the Pan-am with limited paint format had more teams than the Nppl. It was the highest participated series even though it was mostly west coast. Every player walked on the field with 2, 100rd pods for 5 man. It was 5 each for 10 man. Then you divvy up on the field. Some guys didn't even get a whole hopper per your game plan.

So we always used Brass Eagle 104s. With the ultra small hellfire you could get about 115. Sweeeeeet! There were techniques for rolling pods to stack paint just right. Your team having 15% more paint was a big deal. That difference got bigger as the games went on. After both teams shoot 700 balls your guys have 50% more. If I watched a team walk on with Indian springs pods and we had been trading paint pretty even for 2.5 to 3 minutes and we were still at 3-3, 4-4 or close I could call a tape push with a full team run through. Teams didn't lane as much but if you had an extra hopper of paint you might.

We ended up ordering the smallest barrels we could find, .681 Rekkas from england to shoot that stuff.

Rudz
04-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Tys .670/ .675/.680 Freak inserts are the way to go

Luckily for me, my Equation inserts are the same OD as the Freaks, Only difference is the Equation Bizerk inserts are 4"..Makes me wonder who came up with the idea first.. :ninja:

I picked up the .675/.680 inserts, Im debating whether or not Ill need the.670

Hobbez
04-22-2011, 08:05 AM
I'm curious as to what brand and what regions you guys run into this super small paint. I've only played in DC, VA, MA, WV area and a couple times back home in Maine the last 12 months, but I have yet to use a freak insert under .687 Out of at least a dozen different kinds of paint (several types of DXS, Marbs, gold, valken, etc.) I have yet to find a paint that will let me use my .685 insert.

zondo
04-22-2011, 11:58 AM
You can ask Mongoose when his barrel kit is supposed to come out too...

athomas
04-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Paint manufacturers can save approximately 5% on the cost of paint fill if the ball size changes from 0.687" to 0.675".

I haven't noticed small paint up here on the east coast. Most that I shoot is 0.687" or larger.