PDA

View Full Version : Push Button on/off on Emag?

shooter311
04-19-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm working on a custom project, and I was wondering if anyone has ever put a push button on/off where the safety plug goes on an Emag. I can't seem to find a push - push (Push on, Push off) button that is small enough to fit the diameter of the hole, but flush enough where it won't be hit easily. Any help locating this button will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

TwilightG
04-19-2011, 08:11 PM
I'm working on a custom project, and I was wondering if anyone has ever put a push button on/off where the safety plug goes on an Emag. I can't seem to find a push - push (Push on, Push off) button that is small enough to fit the diameter of the hole, but flush enough where it won't be hit easily. Any help locating this button will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
You might be able to find something on mouser.com or some other small electronics parts site.

However, that plastic pin interrupts the connection between the battery and terminals in the frame. Unless you're doing something completely different, I cannot see how you would be able to fit a switch in there

shooter311
04-19-2011, 08:46 PM
You might be able to find something on mouser.com or some other small electronics parts site.

However, that plastic pin interrupts the connection between the battery and terminals in the frame. Unless you're doing something completely different, I cannot see how you would be able to fit a switch in there

I can't seem to find one anywhere. I checked Mouser.com but came up with nothing. I had about 1,000 parts to look through today, and nothing fit the bill. I might have tom come up with something else if I can't find one.

I'm planning on having two wires connecting the battery instead of the tab on top of the battery. I was hoping I could put an on/off on the battery housing so I wouldn't have to take the battery pack off to access the switch, but it seems as though I might have to just have a switch inside the battery pack.

Tunaman
04-19-2011, 09:25 PM
Finding a small enough switch that will hold the battery amperage will be impossible. That is why they used a transistor on the ace board in the Xmag. The micro switch switches the transitor, not the battery leads directly. ;)

shooter311
04-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Finding a small enough switch that will hold the battery amperage will be impossible. That is why they used a transistor on the ace board in the Xmag. The micro switch switches the transitor, not the battery leads directly. ;)

I'm trying to relay this from an electrical engineer at my job, so I may mess this up, but this is what he said:

I found a switch that would fit, and its capacity is 3 amps. Since the battery pack is .65 amp hours it wouldn't make sense for the pack to discharge over 3amps because it would only run for 13 minutes. Unless the pack releases powerful discharges for a minuet amount of time, but he didn't think that was the case.

Is the case that it will have a very high but quick discharge? Any idea what the amp range is that the battery pack discharges? Also, does anyone happen to know what the maximum voltage an Emag can handle? I'm trying to find better specs on it, but I can't come up with much. I know it operates at 18volts typically, but can operate at as low as 14v. Any help would be great, thanks.

athomas
04-21-2011, 08:23 PM
The solenoid pulse is between 15ms and 35ms depending on the software and setup. During this pulse, the amp draw is about 3A peak, if I remember correctly. You can measure it. Hook the solenoid up in series with a DC current meter and turn it on. Measure the current draw when it is on.

athomas
04-21-2011, 08:37 PM
The original emag was set to run with a 3A pulse for 35ms. This equates to ~ 0.000030A-hr per pulse. The original 650mAH battery pack would deliver 22000 shots at this rate. It was rated for 20000 shots so the numbers make sense.

The newer Xmod allows the dwell to be lowered and increases the number of shots by a lot, especially when coupled with a new higher capacity battery pack.

Hopefully this makes it a bit more clear.

shooter311
04-22-2011, 06:23 AM
The original emag was set to run with a 3A pulse for 35ms. This equates to ~ 0.000030A-hr per pulse. The original 650mAH battery pack would deliver 22000 shots at this rate. It was rated for 20000 shots so the numbers make sense.

The newer Xmod allows the dwell to be lowered and increases the number of shots by a lot, especially when coupled with a new higher capacity battery pack.

Hopefully this makes it a bit more clear.

Yes, it definitely helps, thank-you. Do you happen to know the maximum wattage that the marker can handle?

athomas
04-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Its not wattage so much as it is current capability. The high voltage switch that controls the solenoid current would have the same approximately 0 voltage when on for all currents passing through it. It would depend on the current rating of the device itself and also the wire and trace size on the circuit board. The wires are close to the switch to limit the trace size from being a factor, but the wire size feeding the board still is a factor and is probably the most limiting factor on the current capability of the gun. At only 3A, the wires currently in use are fine. If you want to increase the current capability, you need to analyze the wire size and see what the wire resistance is to determine its effect on a higher current draw.

shooter311
04-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Its not wattage so much as it is current capability. The high voltage switch that controls the solenoid current would have the same approximately 0 voltage when on for all currents passing through it. It would depend on the current rating of the device itself and also the wire and trace size on the circuit board. The wires are close to the switch to limit the trace size from being a factor, but the wire size feeding the board still is a factor and is probably the most limiting factor on the current capability of the gun. At only 3A, the wires currently in use are fine. If you want to increase the current capability, you need to analyze the wire size and see what the wire resistance is to determine its effect on a higher current draw.

Great, thanks I'll have to try to figure this out. If anyone cares I can post what I find.

Justus
06-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Great, thanks I'll have to try to figure this out. If anyone cares I can post what I find.

Necro-post. What was found out?

If this isn't a possibility due to the amperage, then what about making a drop-in pc board (in the shape of the battery pack) to do the same functional thing that is done with the switch on the X-Mag? Then the small push button switch could connect to that board, come out the battery saver pin hole, and still require no milling/modification.

I'm not an electronics expert, so I don't know if that's ^^ possible.