PDA

View Full Version : RT history

brycelarson
04-21-2011, 06:06 AM
hi guys,

I'm not much of a mag guy - I'm looking for a bit of info on this gun. I picked up a chrome RT locally for a pretty low price. It came with an Air America reg - the tank appears to be a 3 year hydro - born on date of '97. The serial on the valve is 1594. Does that serial jive with the tank born on date? Would this all have come as a package? Does '97 sound right for that serial #?

here's a quick vid. It's a basic, shiny RT mag - Lv7 bolt. It appears to be all stock to me, but I'm no mag expert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huifjUk_syc

ManInBlack
04-21-2011, 07:41 AM
The gun looks to be original, but I don't think the barrel is and I'm not sure about the tank either. Nice find though.

mpsd
04-21-2011, 09:58 AM
The Mag is original but it's missing the sight rail and the barrel you have there is a Dye one, instead of the Crown Point it originally came with.

Although heavy, this is a very nice Mag to play with. You'll certailnly enjoy it on the field.

kcombs9
04-21-2011, 10:21 AM
don't think the born date of the tank and the # on the valve have anything in common...

Frizzle Fry
04-21-2011, 11:45 AM
don't think the born date of the tank and the # on the valve have anything in common...

I think he's trying to ascertain the age of the marker using the serial and age of the tank for reference.

It's been in a closet for a long time, and the reg is about that vintage. I have two classic RTs - 3370 and 1275, and the latter was purchased in late '96. Based on the guys story, the tank, and the serial #s, I'd guess you're looking at a '96 or '97... Now its time to slap a Flatline on there and take it out on the field, I've got a few barrels I'd donate to the cause.

brycelarson
04-21-2011, 12:54 PM
I think he's trying to ascertain the age of the marker using the serial and age of the tank for reference.

It's been in a closet for a long time, and the reg is about that vintage. I have two classic RTs - 3370 and 1275, and the latter was purchased in late '96. Based on the guys story, the tank, and the serial #s, I'd guess you're looking at a '96 or '97... Now its time to slap a Flatline on there and take it out on the field, I've got a few barrels I'd donate to the cause.

correct - I was guessing that if the tank and gun were purchased at the same time I could use the tank date to estimate the total package age. based on 1275 being 96 I would guess that the tank and gun were purchased together.

thanks!

Spider-TW
04-21-2011, 01:23 PM
What pressure is your ninja tank at? It looks like it is around 850.

Frizzle Fry
04-21-2011, 10:11 PM
correct - I was guessing that if the tank and gun were purchased at the same time I could use the tank date to estimate the total package age. based on 1275 being 96 I would guess that the tank and gun were purchased together.

thanks!

Two things to keep in mind:

1) TK has said time and time again that many valves/guns were released to the public in no particular order. Some people may have bought #1000 when the guy before them got #1400, and so on. Not sure that would apply to classic RTs but I would guess it does to some degree.

2) Stuff sits on shelves, especially at small pro shops. There are plenty of "new" DM8s and Ego9s on the walls of my local pro shop, and it's one of the largest on the east coast. I actually bought a "new" Minimag for $125 at the "Outdoor Store" in my town last year. Tanks sit too, but not for as long due to the nature of the hydro stamp, so that'd be a better gauge of age.

Anyway the earliest RTs were all Euro Hi-Rise PF bodies so I'd guess it's lat '96 or early '97, though I'm sure the '97 and '98 models were basically the same thing as the rest of'em but with a later serial #. Now we just need to get you a barrel and a flatline for that thing and you'll be good to go.