PDA

View Full Version : vert adaptor not fitting on am classic rail

magtard13
05-01-2011, 08:27 PM
so im getting ready to put my gun together and i find that the vertical adaptor screw is too fat to fit into the rail place for it.... so obviously, i'll need to mill out the screw hole in the rail correct? i mean i cant try a smaller screw cuz the adaptor wouldnt take it. so i'll have to alter the rail right? no way around it?
i dont see why it's not fitting properly... both of the pieces are genuine AGD parts.

Ando
05-01-2011, 09:20 PM
both of the pieces are genuine AGD parts.

But the bolt your using probably aren't from AGD.

It happens. I have a few bolt that do the same thing on some of my markers. They screw in just fine into the body but are a little tight on the rail. I just push mine through, doesn't affect anything.

Pneumagger
05-02-2011, 12:16 AM
Too fat?

The typical ASA screw is a 1/4" Low Socket Head Cap screw, I believe.
Is the through hole in the rail not at least 1/4" in diameter?
Or are you saying the head of the screw is to fat/tall?

magtard13
05-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Too fat?

The typical ASA screw is a 1/4" Low Socket Head Cap screw, I believe.
Is the through hole in the rail not at least 1/4" in diameter?
Or are you saying the head of the screw is to fat/tall?

the screw threading is too fat for the hole of the rail. it fits perfect into the asa. so the rail isnt accepting the screw. i'll have to bore it out a smidge then huh?

Pneumagger
05-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Yeah, just get a .250 drill bit from Home Depot and you can use a hand drill.
The previous hole will act as a guide and it will be easy. Make sure it's a drill fit for drilling metal.

RogueFactor
05-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Older AM/MM rails were made with a single 1/4-20 hole only, and worked with classic ASAs with single holes.

Circa ~2005 when Zupe took over at AGD, he made a batch+ of AM/MM rails with dual 10-32 holes only. These holes are meant for the AGD RT Pro ASA but can also mount the RT and RT Pro moulded style foregrip and the RPG Stick Grip. After speaking with him, he started making the rails with both the single hole and the dual hole patterns.

Before you drill anything I would suggest taking a pic of your rail first to see what you have. If you have a single holed rail then the suggestions above should work. If you have a dual-holed rail only, then the back hole of the dual holes even if drilled out will not accomodate the ASA due to the spacing. Drilling the front hole will make the ASA overhang the front of the rail.

magtard13
05-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Older AM/MM rails were made with a single 1/4-20 hole only, and worked with classic ASAs with single holes.

Circa ~2005 when Zupe took over at AGD, he made a batch+ of AM/MM rails with dual 10-32 holes only. These holes are meant for the AGD RT Pro ASA but can also mount the RT and RT Pro moulded style foregrip and the RPG Stick Grip. After speaking with him, he started making the rails with both the single hole and the dual hole patterns.

Before you drill anything I would suggest taking a pic of your rail first to see what you have. If you have a single holed rail then the suggestions above should work. If you have a dual-holed rail only, then the back hole of the dual holes even if drilled out will not accomodate the ASA due to the spacing. Drilling the front hole will make the ASA overhang the front of the rail.

i have a dual unfortunately.... so what, now i need to get a different rail?

audioSLAVE
05-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Or an RT ASA depending on your set up, you wouldn't be able to attach a bottle directly to the RT ASA if you needed to. The overall fore grip length will be a tad shorter as well.

Pneumagger
05-02-2011, 01:37 PM
You could enlarge the center hole to accomodate a 1/4-20 screw.
Or you could buy an approiate ASA tat works with those holes.

RogueFactor
05-02-2011, 01:49 PM

You have a few options:

1) If its a dual-only, and you want to modify the rail, then you will have to both drill and countersink the hole for the low-head 1/4-20 bolt. If you cant do this, send it to a custom shop like Lukes Customs who can do it for you(for a fee Im sure).

2)If its the dual AND single hole combo, youll use the center hole

3)Buy an ASA with dual holes and use that instead.

4)Sell your rail and buy one for the ASA you want to use.

magtard13
05-02-2011, 05:03 PM
well thankyou for all your help, guys... i'll post up a WTB thread in misc. parts.

Pneumagger
05-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Are you near ann arbor? I go there occasionally - got a couple of buddies I visit.
If you're not in a hurry, I could mill it for you, no charge and get it back to you in person sometime.

Otherwise, cover shipping to/from 44223 and I can take of it for you.

magtard13
05-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Are you near ann arbor? I go there occasionally - got a couple of buddies I visit.
If you're not in a hurry, I could mill it for you, no charge and get it back to you in person sometime.

Otherwise, cover shipping to/from 44223 and I can take of it for you.

not really near ann arbor, but that definately be cool of you. :headbang:

matto235
05-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Might I suggest the link below if you are down for the raw color. Can't beat the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AGD-Automag-Vertical-ASA-Regulator-Reg-Tank-Adapter-FS-/300545364314?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f9e6515a#ht_1931wt_1035

magtard13
05-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Might I suggest the link below if you are down for the raw color. Can't beat the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AGD-Automag-Vertical-ASA-Regulator-Reg-Tank-Adapter-FS-/300545364314?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f9e6515a#ht_1931wt_1035

sorry matto, i already have that vert asa... and it wont fit. it's the rail, not the asa. thanks though