PDA

View Full Version : Longbow magazine problem

daemon512
05-16-2011, 10:01 AM
If this isn't appropriate because its an aftermarket part, let me know and I'll remove the post.

I got a longbow tac-one from someone on ebay, and am having an issue with the magazines. They go into the adapter fine, but don't "clip on" and connect. Meaning, while they will slide in and feed just fine, if the spring is released and I point the marker down (friction holds it otherwise), the magazine falls out. Has anyone else ever had this issue, or know what to do to solve it?

My thoughts are that the magazine isn't going back far enough into the adapter to get clipped on, and that if I removed a small amount of material from the back of the magazines, or some material from the inside of the adapter, it would be solved.

Justus
05-16-2011, 11:49 AM
I believe there were a couple generations of the magwells and magazines, which may not be compatible. Do a quick search on MCB in the sale threads - there was a guy selling a longbow kit a couple months ago and he described what he did to the mags to make them work. If the pic is still up you can even see where he filed them down.

daemon512
05-16-2011, 12:06 PM
So this has been seen before, that's good to know. I looked on the MCB sale forum, did a search for "longbow", but couldn't find what you are referring to. Do you remember if he filed down the mag itself or the adapter to it? If I've got a starting point, I can probably figure it out. Thanks!

doc_Zox
05-17-2011, 10:48 PM
the finger of the magazine folds out of the way as it rides down the slot
and it clicks into the hole under the button to lock it in place

pressing the button in, makes the finger fold back and the magazine slides out

the finger is a feed blocker and a magazine catch

http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox/M1AGD/lbm02.jpg

http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox/M1AGD/lbm09.jpg

http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox/M1AGD/lbm08.jpg

it's an ingenious design and the only part to modify is the catch

everything else is to valuable (always mod the cheap part)

Justus
05-17-2011, 11:58 PM
I did a search but couldn't find that thread either. It would have been in the last 6 months.

daemon512
05-18-2011, 09:34 AM
So what you're saying, doc_Zox, is that I should, if anything, slightly file down the end of the catch, rather than shortening the length of the magazines slightly?

I have 3 total (magazines), and I've found on further investigation that one works properly, one almost locks but doesn't quite (I can pull it out, but its a somewhat hard pull), and the third doesn't lock at all. Meaning, to me, file down the catch on the one that wants to lock very slightly, and file down the one that doesn't catch more so than that one.

doc_Zox
05-18-2011, 06:33 PM
i would think if the catch is a tad to long, then it will not snap into the hole

are the springs working to rotate the catch and block the flow?

could they be installed backwards?

daemon512
05-19-2011, 08:12 AM
The springs are working. I'm not sure what you mean could be backwards, but as far as I can tell, there is no difference in the way anything is between the one that does lock and the two that don't, with the exception that the one that does lock seems to have a slightly different angle when nothing is touching it than the other two. My guess is, though, that when its placed inside the adapter, that angle has no effect on anything.

I do think you're right though, removing some material from those catches will probably fix my issue, and would be much easier/less destructive than my idea of taking material from the back of the magazine (so it slides in farther). If I can get a file today, I'll probably try it tonight. Thanks!