PDA

View Full Version : MM2K9 and Check It detents?

OPBN
05-24-2011, 08:26 AM
I finally got the nerve up and took out my VER framed MM2k9 this weekend. Seemed to work pretty well, had some issues with the frame as I can't seem to consistenly turn the frame on and off properly, but that seemed to be typical user error. One thing I noticed was that I was getting some barrel breaks and I am pretty sure they were from double feeding past the Check It detents. I have a levelX that I believe is tuned pretty well and the paint didn't seem to be in the breach, so nearly certain it was from double feeding. Anyone else had the same experience? Has anyone tried any other dentents besides the stock ones that came with it? (BTW, Yuck) Would it help to put the metal balls that came with it in instead of the plastic ones? I don't actually get a lot of opportunities to play, so i don't always have time to try various detents to see which ones work the best. Any suggestions would be helpful.

PS. I was using a freak kit and not underboring. Didnt seem to be having these issues with the Emag the day before.

SSP REAPER
05-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Toss the Check It Detents because those shouldn't even exist. The spring is too light and wont make a difference if you use the delrin ball or the metal one. If you can find a similar spring that is stiffer then I would suggest trying that. I used the CI detents in my Cyborg and I couldn't stop it from double or triple feeding down the barrel. Whoever thought those would work was hugely mistaken...

I'd try a different stiffness spring or even a different detent. I know the stock ones are ugly but at least they work. System X makes (or used to) a rebuildable ball detent that looks similar to the check it and it works!

OPBN
05-24-2011, 08:52 AM
I had thought about trying to somehow stiffen the spring up, by adding o-rings or something inside to put more pressure on the ball. I also have them on my Dallara bodies mag and they don't seem to protrude as far into the body as some other detents. I was afraid of screwing them in too much for fear of having them too far in and the bolt striking them, causing damage to the bolt. I"ll see if I can find any of the system X ones. I really just am not in the mood to dump $45/set for two sets of Kila's.

Anybody try the CP ones?

While doing some scraping around. I found a site that lists some detents as cocker/cyborg detents: http://www.onlinepaintball.com/ab1038101equick/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=846&cat=Kila+Gear. I also found on the MacDev website that they sell Cyborg detents in packs of 10 for $20.00. http://macdev.net/store/product_info.php?products_id=103. Can anyone confirm that Autococker/Cyborg detents are the same?

vf-xx
05-24-2011, 12:19 PM
OBPN: I'm going to be doing the trial run of my CHeck it detents this weekend. Will bring shim material with me. I'll let you know how it goes.

OPBN
05-24-2011, 03:41 PM
OBPN: I'm going to be doing the trial run of my CHeck it detents this weekend. Will bring shim material with me. I'll let you know how it goes.
Yeah, I had thought about doubling up on the o-rings or something to see if that would help.

SSP REAPER
05-24-2011, 09:49 PM
I had thought about trying to somehow stiffen the spring up, by adding o-rings or something inside to put more pressure on the ball. I also have them on my Dallara bodies mag and they don't seem to protrude as far into the body as some other detents. I was afraid of screwing them in too much for fear of having them too far in and the bolt striking them, causing damage to the bolt. I"ll see if I can find any of the system X ones. I really just am not in the mood to dump $45/set for two sets of Kila's.

Anybody try the CP ones?

While doing some scraping around. I found a site that lists some detents as cocker/cyborg detents: http://www.onlinepaintball.com/ab1038101equick/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=846&cat=Kila+Gear. I also found on the MacDev website that they sell Cyborg detents in packs of 10 for $20.00. http://macdev.net/store/product_info.php?products_id=103. Can anyone confirm that Autococker/Cyborg detents are the same?
The 06 Cyborg does indeed use autococker detents, the 10 pack you listed is for 07 and RX model borgs that use the eye cover plate as a detent cover also.

Ditch the double o-ring idea, it doesnt work...

vf-xx
05-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I had thought about doubling up on the o-rings or something to see if that would help.

I'm thinking about cutting up a big eraser to use as a thick shim. I'll fiddle with it this weekend.

SSP REAPER
05-25-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm thinking about cutting up a big eraser to use as a thick shim. I'll fiddle with it this weekend.
That may work! Let me know how it goes Frank.

OPBN
05-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Along the same lines, what about some sort of foam? I have some pieces left over from a gun case project. Essentially it's one of those foam mats they sell at an auto parts store for diy oil changers.

OPBN
05-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Or what about an additional spring like from a pen?

BigEvil
05-25-2011, 07:04 PM
I had the same issue. The Check Its are way too weak, and meant for a closed bolt cocker. Switch back to the stock ones that PTP supplied, they seem to work well.

OPBN
05-25-2011, 08:04 PM
I had the same issue. The Check Its are way too weak, and meant for a closed bolt cocker. Switch back to the stock ones that PTP supplied, they seem to work well.While I respect your opinion, I would really like to figure out a way for these to work. The stock detents are fugly.

Ando
05-25-2011, 08:38 PM
While I respect your opinion, I would really like to figure out a way for these to work. The stock detents are fugly.
Just tell him to go pack sand. He'll understand ;)

Hit a hobby shop. They should have all sorts of small springs or thin gauge wire to make one. I found a spring that was used for the intenna on a RC car/truck I think. It took about 3 min worth of work but I shaped it into o pretty nice detent spring. Never thought about a pen spring, might work.

The foam you mentioned will probably work for a little while but do to it being foam, it'll lose it's sponginess after a while. It should be good for a week at the least.

BigEvil
05-25-2011, 08:44 PM
..or gut the stock ones for their springs :wow:

OPBN
05-25-2011, 08:46 PM
..or gut the stock ones for their springs :wow:
I have several AGD springs. Maybe it would be worth popping a couple of those open.

vf-xx
05-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Ok,

So I can't say that this 100% works, because I was testing on poor quality paint, and my intellifeed on my warp failed (sigh).

Anyway this seems to work:

1) Using teflon tape or lock-tite, set the barrel of the detent to the proper depth.
2) Remove the exterior o-ring that usually goes between the cap and the body, retain interior o-ring
3) Cut a pencil eraser to about 1/8th in and put it between the spring and the cap.
4) Tighten cap down.

Seemed to work just fine for me. You can fine tune it by changing the thickness of the eraser that you use.

OPBN
09-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Sorry to bump my old thread, but for anyone interested I finally got around to trying my idea on using a pen spring to stiffen the detent and it seems to work. It took me a couple of trys to get what seems like the proper resistance, but after trimming both ends of the pen spring I did not have any misfeeds or double feeds in a hopper or so of paint. It was larger paint though, so not sure if that had anything to do with it. The reason for cutting both ends of the spring were to eliminate the tight coiled part that is typical of most pen springs. It can't compress any more if it is touching.

For clarification, I used the stock springs as well as the pen springs that I set inside the detent springs. Essentially a spring inside a spring. One issue I could possibly see happening thoug is the pen spring slipping to one side of the other since it is significantly smaller than the stock spring that came with the detent as well as the ID of the detent.

Curious if VF-xx had a chance to test his out anymore?

Also, any ideas on how to get the spring out of a stock AGD detent? I realized this is easier said then done.