PDA

View Full Version : Overtightened X

OPBN
06-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Got an X valve in today and can't get it apart. Checking the bottom I see that the two lines don't line up. Looks like it was overtightened about 1/16 of an inch. Tried a strap wrench, but no go. Main concern is if I do get it apart that it will be jacked up due to the overtightening. Any suggestions?

KC
06-03-2011, 06:15 PM
2 strap wrenches / 2 people? Maybe clamp the air fitting in a vice to secure the reg and use the strap wrench on the front section? I doubt its damaged. Ive come across a few that were overtightened and they all worked fine after.

Good luck man. :cheers:

georgeyew
06-03-2011, 06:16 PM
If it is just slightly over tightened, it should be fine as long as it is not cross threaded...I don't see how you can do that on an Xvalve though.

OPBN
06-03-2011, 06:41 PM
2 strap wrenches / 2 people? Maybe clamp the air fitting in a vice to secure the reg and use the strap wrench on the front section? I doubt its damaged. Ive come across a few that were overtightened and they all worked fine after.

Good luck man. :cheers:
I have two strap wrenches and they slip before the halves come apart.

justincredible
06-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Plasma cutter!!!!!!!!!

athomas
06-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Bolt the front section to something solid using a 10-32 machine screw. It can be a piece of wood or metal. With that held firm, use a strap wrench on the back half. The z pin will prevent slipping to allow adequate grip.

Algae198
06-05-2011, 05:27 PM
When my Hyper 3 was stuck together, I took a propane torch to it for a few seconds, waited for it to cool for a few more, and then was able to unscrew them with a pair of wrenches.