PDA

View Full Version : Stolen RT

1stTarget
06-04-2011, 07:09 AM
From locked store room in my house, Binghamton NY, suspect daughters boyfriend.Pictures of snow flake:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_MdUkc0fa0l8/Smsadlp3AqI/AAAAAAAAACQ/ibFgIFMX4wI/s800/bday%20023.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_MdUkc0fa0l8/SmsaaHZbT_I/AAAAAAAAACE/-WMpyQfZ1Tg/s800/bday%20021.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_MdUkc0fa0l8/SmsafePUgnI/AAAAAAAAACU/AqG1SFtdrzs/s800/bday%20024.JPG

Sc0
06-04-2011, 08:19 AM
Well, you know who it is... so maybe call the police and press charges before it gets out of "his" possession?

Skeeter
06-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Well, you know who it is... so maybe call the police and press charges before it gets out of "his" possession?

Or just kill him, recover the Mag, and discard the body... The Robert Moses Causeway seems to be a popular place for disposal...

Frizzle Fry
06-04-2011, 10:37 PM
It's a fairly unique marker, and would have been even back when there were at least a couple R/Ts on every field... The best place to unload it is here on AO or MCB, It'll show up. In the mean time, use ELITEDEALSEEKER.COM to see if it's posted on the other forums.

paint magnet
06-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Damn man, sorry to hear about this. Hope they catch this bum so you can get your gun back and smack him in the head with it.

Don't forget to check pawn shops; not everyone who steals paintball stuff knows what they're getting and would probably not bother to go to the trouble of researching it and listing it online.

1stTarget
04-02-2012, 09:52 AM
It is found, but. If I take possession:
!. Have to buy it back from insurance company.
2. Kid who worked and saved to buy a good marker looses both money and marker.
3. I have recently come into a Bench Mark framed RT.
4.Weeks of hassle.
Or :
1 Sit down with Dad, let him know the story.
2. Leave, leaving marker with it's new owner.
3. Realize there are more important areas of life other then things.
4. Trust God to sort it out.
5. Be the kind of man I saw in my Dad when I was a kid.

Guess which choice I have to make.

OPBN
04-02-2012, 10:10 AM
It sucks for the kid who bought it, but honestly, I would go the first route. Sometimes you have to learn lessons in life and one of them would be not to buy stolen goods from shady characters on CL.

Actually, the more I think about it, this sounds odd. If the marker has been recovered, wouldnt the police have it? If this is the case, is the kid going to get it back or will they police sell it at a public auction? I've never heard of the police finding stolen goods and leaving them with the person who buys them.

If you're saying you just know who has it, and the police havent been contacted yet, I would totally disagree. The a-hat that stole the marker should be punished. Not calling the police gives him a green light to continue the wrong behavior.

My .02.

Frizzle Fry
04-02-2012, 11:47 AM
If you're saying you know who has it, and the police havent been contacted yet, I would totally disagree. The a-hat that stole the marker should be punished. Not calling the police gives him a green light to continue the wrong behavior.

I've heard this one before - "It's stolen? I bought it off Craigslist for cash! I knew that guy was sketchy... Shame there's no record of it." How old is this kid? How'd you find the marker?

I would go talk to them; at least let them know about what happened. If the kid is nice about it, it's a good warning about the risks of future transactions on Craigslist, and leave him the the gun. If the kid is a cocky little ****head, tell daddy you want the marker back and maybe just maybe you won't call the cops.

It's always good to be a good person, but there are times when you need to be firm about things and when it comes to lies and theft, I'm sure your father wouldn't think less of you for taking the time to evaluate the situation a little bit more depth before you make a final decision.

halB
04-02-2012, 01:38 PM
4.Weeks of hassle.
Or :

Way to be a victim buddy. Way to make everything easier for the thieves.

Do you HONESTLY believe that the purchaser of your gun did not know that the gun was stolen? Of course he did! Your daughter's boyfriend is, in all likelihood, some rat who steals all sorts of stuff, and is known for selling his crap off for cheap.

When you buy stolen merchandise, you know it's stolen merchandise. This innocent "kid" who purchased your marker bought stolen property - that's a crime. Hell, if it wasn't for this purchaser, your marker might not have even been stolen. Boosters often take orders, go out, and steal for their customers, at their customer's direction.

Turn the purchaser in, turn the kid in. Full penalties. Your house was violated. Your daughter was made to look like a fool. Discord and disharmony has been forced into your house. If this thief and this purchaser aren't dealt with harshly now, their lives are not going to be improved.

I have no patience with thieves, nor those who buy from them. When I was in highschool some of the more scabberous persons I associated with would approach me and ask me if I wanted to buy such and such, and it was a great price. I knew it was stolen. Only a moron wouldn't know. Your thief had to sell that gun quick quick quick - I bet he flipped it for just 50 or 75 bux. And this purchaser didn't know?

Seriously buddy, don't be a rollover. Don't make this world worse for everyone else. Do the RIGHT thing, and report all of them. Hell, I'd take a good hard look at your daughter - do you really think she didn't see that punk walking out of YOUR house with YOUR marker?

halB
04-02-2012, 01:41 PM
4.Weeks of hassle.
Or :

Oh - and you would only have to purchase it back from the insurance company if the insurance company already cut you a check for it, which would be odd, because the value would be less than your likely deductible. If you want to get it back, file a motion in replevin. (Although paying whatever finder's fee there is to the insurance would probably be a whole lot cheaper and quicker. It's just a motion in replevin is a wonderfully fun motion, evoking images in the filer of pregnant cows.)

Justus
04-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Based on the info the OP gave us, I'm not so sure I can a) jump to the conclusion that the kid with the marker now knew that it was stolen - I mean, it surfaced 9 months after it was stolen, and b) jump to the conclusion that the OP wouldn't press charges against the thief if he could prove who actually stole the marker.

I think what he's saying is that he's fairly sure that the kid is a bona fide purchaser, having not known of the conversion of property. If the kid cooperates in helping find the thief, great. If the OP already has a new RT with Benchmark frame paid for by insurance, then great. We're just missing too many pieces of the story to make any real conclusions about this stuff.

Remember, it's not about what you know, it's about what you can prove.

1stTarget
04-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Frizzle: did not show up on Craigs list. Person who has it is a player at a nearby(60=miles) field. As to type, he listens, plays well and is a standup no matter who he is with. Dad is a local to that area farmer, on a 3rd gen farm.
Op: Thief is upstate in a secure max, so he is paying. And a police report on the marker is on file.
halB: See above. And deductible was under $300. Received $1385 from theft, many multiple items missing. Insurance valued marker at $400 after depreciation. So no it all you need to learn to tone down you responses. So you are batting 0 so far. If found I would need to buy it back. Approximately $250. So cost is a factor. Still batting 0.

Drix
04-02-2012, 02:55 PM
I think what he's saying is that he's fairly sure that the kid is a bona fide purchaser, having not known of the conversion of property. Remember, it's not about what you know, it's about what you can prove.

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse; Get your gun back, teach a kid an invaluable lesson, offer to pay him to mow your lawn for the summer.

With that being said there are a lot of missing pieces to this puzzle I agree, but this kid should be able to provide details of from whom and when he purchased this gun, and technically should have a written reciept for it.

Justus
04-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Ignorance of the law is not an excuse
Yeah, except we're not talking about "ignorance of the law", we're talking about a bona fide purchaser (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bona_fide_purchaser) who buys a piece of property for appropriate value. Under common law, the BFP is protected from third party claims.

And as for a written receipt, how often do you get a receipt for something purchased second-hand at a garage sale? It's generally not required in that type of situation. Now, some States/municipalities are enacting ordinances and laws that require documentation of all purchased property, but it's not everywhere.

Drix
04-02-2012, 03:51 PM
And as for a written receipt, how often do you get a receipt for something purchased second-hand at a garage sale?

Anything I'm paying over $100 I get some form of reciept unless I've done my homework on who's owned it (rare paintball pieces I usually do my homework to find its forum trail)

BiNumber3
04-02-2012, 03:59 PM
If the kid bought it at a reasonable price from someone who he thinks isn't a shady character, how can you blame him for being "ignorant of the law". I've bought and sold from people I don't know, at very low prices (here even), does that mean there is something fishy with that and we should investigate the origins of whatever is being sold?

To try to say the kid is at fault for paying for something is silly in my opinion, especially with no proof, and from what it looks like, months after the theft occured. As for reciepts and such, few people bother with them, let alone a kid who just wants to play....

Why attack the kid who paid for an item, rather than the kid who stole the item and sold it.

Tunaman
04-02-2012, 05:08 PM
It doesn't matter that the kid bought it unbeknowst. It is stolen property, and the law says anyone in possession of it is at fault. If the op already got paid from the insurance company for his loss, then it is up to him to tell the insurance company where it is so they can recover it. The marker belongs to them now. Everyone involved in the theft and resale of stolen merchandise is liable and should be prosecuted.

sQuidvision
04-02-2012, 07:23 PM
It doesn't matter that the kid bought it unbeknowst. It is stolen property, and the law says anyone in possession of it is at fault...
According to that wikipedia article justus linked (and its on wikipedia so it MUST me true ;) ) it DOES matter that he didn't know it was stolen.

Justus
04-02-2012, 07:40 PM
According to that wikipedia article justus linked (and its on wikipedia so it MUST me true ;) ) it DOES matter that he didn't know it was stolen.
Yeah, that's apparently not commonly known. But it is true. It's a nugget of common law designed to protect the rights of an innocent buyer. Of course, without documentation I guess there's no reason the original owner couldn't just point the finger at the kid and accuse him of theft and lying about being a BFP.

Frizzle Fry
04-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Frizzle: did not show up on Craigs list. Person who has it is a player at a nearby(60=miles) field. As to type, he listens, plays well and is a standup no matter who he is with. Dad is a local to that area farmer, on a 3rd gen farm.

There ya go. I was just posing a hypothetical.

Tough situation, though.

vf-xx
04-02-2012, 08:05 PM
I dunno. I think 1stTarget is being pretty stand up about it.

Theoretically 1stT was made whole by the insurance (at least as much as is possible). From a moral perspective, if he knows the local kid and does not believe that he acted in bad faith, I see no reason why he can't choose to let it go.

As for the legal status of that option, I suspect it varies state by state. Overall the value is low enough (in grand adult terms), that I don't see any moral complications by not informing the insurance company.

A reasonable, adult conversation with the kid's dad to let him know that it was stolen is a good idea. The kid should learn to be more careful, but given the time delay, there's no saying that it didn't pass hands a couple of times.

At least there's some form of closure.

Tunaman
04-02-2012, 08:33 PM
It does vary state to state. In some states it does not matter if the guy knew it was stolen or not. He can still be charged. "Bonafide Purchaser" only relates to legally obtained items. You cannot be a "bonafide purchaser" of stolen goods. But I am not a laywer, hence my research and findings on these matters does not amount to much as there are exceptions to the rule for sure.

halB
04-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Op: Thief is upstate in a secure max, so he is paying. And a police report on the marker is on file.
halB: See above. And deductible was under $300. Received $1385 from theft, many multiple items missing. Insurance valued marker at $400 after depreciation. So no it all you need to learn to tone down you responses. So you are batting 0 so far. If found I would need to buy it back. Approximately $250. So cost is a factor. Still batting 0.

I'm only batting for 0 in your eyes because you apparently have never dealt with these "boosters." They have a description, they have a job, and they have customers.

But sure, if the kids so stand up, what do you have to lose by asking his help in getting closure about who he got the marker from? Hell, maybe it wasn't your daughter's boyfriend.

I have had several items stolen from me. I have always gotten them back. Because I know what I am doing in this seedy world. And the thief always pays the full price. I have no patience for thieves, and much less for victims who make it easy for thieves to continue being thieves.

And I was correct, your insurance cut you a check, which would be the event I said would require you to buy it back (they subrogated your claim, so the gun became theirs). So, it appears you can't even compute baseball statistics.

Oh, and since it IS the insurance company's gun, your knowledge of where it is and not telling them would be very close to accessory after the fact for insurance fraud. So, if you want to be a stand up guy and do the right thing, you gotta get that gun back to the insurance company. edit: And that would teach the "innocent purchaser" a valuable lesson about dealing in stolen property.

Seriously, you don't even know how much this kid paid for the gun, and you're willing to roll over and make it easy for him to rob you.

edit2: Actually, now that I think about it, you are really making yourself liable for insurance fraud. The gun is yours. The gun is now in the kid's hands. You know, but you do nothing. This, to the whole world and the courts, looks like you made a gratuitous transfer to the kid. You gifted it to the kid. But wait, you've collected insurance money because it was "stolen." That's fraud. You gave this kid a gift, and got some money. This wouldn't look good in court.

halB
04-09-2012, 02:12 PM
It does vary state to state. In some states it does not matter if the guy knew it was stolen or not. He can still be charged. "Bonafide Purchaser" only relates to legally obtained items. You cannot be a "bonafide purchaser" of stolen goods. But I am not a laywer, hence my research and findings on these matters does not amount to much as there are exceptions to the rule for sure.

To speak of this in grand general terms, and this is possible because of the uniform commmercial code, the courts will protect an "innocent and bona fide purchaser." Kind of the same thing, because it's a measuring of the transaction.

First of all, if you buy a marker, used new or whatever, from a merchant who is in the business of selling that item (building, business permit, you know, a real store) then the innocent purchaser gets to keep the item, and the original owner's remedy lies in suing the store for the value. But the marker stays with the innocent purchaser. So when you buy a car from a used car dealer (but NOT a car rental place, or a guy who runs a car dealership but is doing it on the side) you're safe, you get to keep the car. At some point, the title MUST be good. Most things cannot be traced back to a patent (a patent is a government's granting of property to a person. All land can be traced back to a patent. The sovereign has the best claim to all property.) To state it most powerfully, if you buy something stolen from an antique shop, you get to keep the item, even if the original owner finds it.

Now then, as to an innocent bonafide purchaser who does not purchase from a merchant in the business of selling that item, the innocent purchaser loses the item, it goes back to the owner, and the innocent purchaser has a case against the person that the item was purchased from.

Finally, a purchaser is innocent and bona fide based upon the nature of the transaction. If you meet a guy on craigslist and buy a bike, and he shows you a receipt, and the price isn't ridiculously low, then you're probably innocent. It looks legit (receipt) and you aren't mulcting the situation (you're not paying a price so low that it looks like you're benefiting from theft). But if you are walking down the street at three am, and a guy whispers "want a bike? 20 bux!" and you buy it, then you sure as hell are guilty of dealing in stolen property. You are not innocent because of the context, and you are not bona fide because you aren't paying anywhere close to the true value of the bike (assuming it's not a crappy bike).

Which makes this whole situation more hilarious, because OP has nooooooooo idea how his marker came to be in the hands of this kid, and yet he is willing to stand up for him. He doesn't know! It could've been bought in a back alley at three am, or it could have been purchased from a brick and mortar paintball store or field.

Drix
04-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Since gloves are coming off in this thread I have a question I've been rolling in my head for quite some time and would like cleared up:

Source:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3783178

Last weekend Snow Flake showed up. Do not know how or who. Not gonna ask. Local mag owners are a tight group.No visible dings, airs up, and fires well. Just need to re chronograph.

!. Have to buy it back from insurance company. Guess which choice I have to make.

I am confused here but, with the such blaring inconsistancy I don't see any reason to be fighting over this story at all. When the owner wants to tell us what REALLY happened (Cops recovering it versus it showing up on his doorstep by a fellow baller) then I believe we can begin yelling at eachother about details. Until then save your breath for something worth fighting about, like wheres your PTP and how to best squeek efficiency out of your xvalve.

1stTarget
04-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Insurance company because of value would not involve themselves. Across state lines. It was in my hands for a few moments. Friend asked to borrow it for the next weekend for a game. Because of his rep, father allowed loan. After seeing my marker, I had him return it. Honor takes some odd trails. If I get it back (any numbers of ways) I will need to negotiate with Insurance company to buy it back as scrap cost. I have another RT that was a gift, and then I upgraded. Sales thread shows some of the dealing. As much as I want it back, paying for it again, and having two RT mags is a little over the top. Much involved. Oh and cops when asked said some one would be charged with receiving stolen goods if they became involved. Words from some one who knows family said Dad was looking for a marker for his son. Word traveled. He had a few offers, and choose the RT(showed good taste). Dad runs a family farm, son is good student, works for his extra's. Kind of neighbors we would all like. If cops brought charges dad would probably take the blame, until court. And i believe he would be found innocent. Meanwhile person who sold it to him is now known by my friend. Word is out to the regulars to watch him/ keep kids from buying from him. He is the type that always has an extra gun for sale. Local County sheriff has been given an anonymous tip on things(worked for local cops as an auxiliary for 18 years, so know the way to get info into right hands). Friend of friends are easier to deal with, especially if you were both a Lt. and unit chaplain. Oh and our local swat team plays paint ball to relax. Is father innocent? Probably. Is kid? Yes. Is fence being set up? ... . Going top take a little trip to that field. Meet the kid and play a few games. Hopefully other will be there when my crew is. Can some one say bonus ball? And as posted on different forums at different times, the post are made in the rough order of info. Friend will remain unnamed ( to protect the "innocent"). Is there a truly innocent party, God knows. Is justice being done? In time yes. Dad will probably find out, hope fully son will never, as he is probably the most innocent of all in this. Do I want snow flake back? Yes. At what cost? I have kids, would I want to do any thing to embarrass them.? No. Do I want to bring shame to a good man? blank no!
And for the rest of us. Can every thing we have bought been traced to make sure it is legal? So this would make a great Perry Mason episode. I can follow the law and be satisfied. Or I can be an example of honor and integrity, and smile. Or I can walk away, and let justice take it's course. He who is with out sin, of any kind, make the first negative post.

OPBN
04-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Headhurtstryingtoreadthat.

Seriously, if you're happy with the way it is panning out, just go to the first post, delete the thread and move on. Stop looking for input when you really don't want it.

my automag
04-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Glad you found it in one piece... good luck sorting it out too. :)

halB
04-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Insurance company because of value would not involve themselves. Across state lines. It was in my hands for a few moments. Friend asked to borrow it for the next weekend for a game. Because of his rep, father allowed loan. After seeing my marker, I had him return it. Honor takes some odd trails. If I get it back (any numbers of ways) I will need to negotiate with Insurance company to buy it back as scrap cost. I have another RT that was a gift, and then I upgraded. Sales thread shows some of the dealing. As much as I want it back, paying for it again, and having two RT mags is a little over the top. Much involved. Oh and cops when asked said some one would be charged with receiving stolen goods if they became involved. Words from some one who knows family said Dad was looking for a marker for his son. Word traveled. He had a few offers, and choose the RT(showed good taste). Dad runs a family farm, son is good student, works for his extra's. Kind of neighbors we would all like. If cops brought charges dad would probably take the blame, until court. And i believe he would be found innocent. Meanwhile person who sold it to him is now known by my friend. Word is out to the regulars to watch him/ keep kids from buying from him. He is the type that always has an extra gun for sale. Local County sheriff has been given an anonymous tip on things(worked for local cops as an auxiliary for 18 years, so know the way to get info into right hands). Friend of friends are easier to deal with, especially if you were both a Lt. and unit chaplain. Oh and our local swat team plays paint ball to relax. Is father innocent? Probably. Is kid? Yes. Is fence being set up? ... . Going top take a little trip to that field. Meet the kid and play a few games. Hopefully other will be there when my crew is. Can some one say bonus ball? And as posted on different forums at different times, the post are made in the rough order of info. Friend will remain unnamed ( to protect the "innocent"). Is there a truly innocent party, God knows. Is justice being done? In time yes. Dad will probably find out, hope fully son will never, as he is probably the most innocent of all in this. Do I want snow flake back? Yes. At what cost? I have kids, would I want to do any thing to embarrass them.? No. Do I want to bring shame to a good man? blank no!
And for the rest of us. Can every thing we have bought been traced to make sure it is legal? So this would make a great Perry Mason episode. I can follow the law and be satisfied. Or I can be an example of honor and integrity, and smile. Or I can walk away, and let justice take it's course. He who is with out sin, of any kind, make the first negative post.

I explained in my other post how we know when something is yours, when you buy it from a walmart. Actually, the question is never "how do we prove that this is ours," for possession is really 9/10ths of the law in this, the question is, if the original owner can prove that it was stolen and that it got into that person's hands, then does the property return to the original owner, or does the property stay with the innocent bona fide purchaser, in which case the original owner would have to sue the seller to be made whole. That is always the question with stolen goods.

BTW OP, nice job finally posting the story :clap: You've been making it seem like the kid bought the marker. So... now the dad bought the gun?

halB
04-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Since gloves are coming off in this thread I have a question I've been rolling in my head for quite some time and would like cleared up:

Source:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3783178

I am confused here but, with the such blaring inconsistancy I don't see any reason to be fighting over this story at all. When the owner wants to tell us what REALLY happened (Cops recovering it versus it showing up on his doorstep by a fellow baller) then I believe we can begin yelling at eachother about details. Until then save your breath for something worth fighting about, like wheres your PTP and how to best squeek efficiency out of your xvalve.

Drix, you should work for Dateline or 60 minutes!

spearmint
04-10-2012, 01:03 PM
:cuss: !§ä!(§ää(/**fu**uking**/ thieves
nice RT . . . I hope you will find it soon.

maniacmechanic
04-10-2012, 05:33 PM
:cuss: !§ä!(§ää(/**fu**uking**/ thieves
nice RT . . . I hope you will find it soon.

:rofl: :rofl:

my automag
04-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Hey, 1st Target you should edit and leave an update in your first post too... :ninja:

Ando
04-11-2012, 08:09 PM
and having two RT mags is a little over the top.
Now that **** is funny :rofl:

knownothingmags
04-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Now that **** is funny :rofl:
start posting out collections:D

oh wait there is a picture thread for that

1stTarget
04-12-2012, 05:35 AM
I have one auto cocker, A RT, A 68 classic, various tippmanns, a MG7, 2 vibes, 1 ion, a tiger shark, i stingray and about 9-12(?) spyder clones. I run the paintball club at a local college. So adding markers is not necessarily a bad thing, but bring out the gang for a practice is causing some fun with packing and transport. As it is I pack according to if woods ball or speed ball. Yes, I know an RT is great for either.