PDA

View Full Version : Bad bolt spring

Algae198
06-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Hello AO,

I'm starting to notice an issue with my mag. After I go to clean/oil the valve, I will have serious issues the next time I go to play with it. The bolt will fail to completely reset itself, and has very low velocity over the chrono.

If I pull out the valve and turn the spring around, it'll have no issues. It'll chrono and cycle absolutely fine. Is it time to replace my spring? The gold finish is really starting to degrade, and it is beginning to show a bit of wear.

sjrtk
06-06-2011, 08:15 AM
the bolt spring should stick past the bolt when you have the valve out of the body. Try stretching the spring out and see if the problem goes away. If it does order a few springs and any other parts you are thinking about getting. What type of valve is is and how much/type oil are you using?

Algae198
06-07-2011, 09:55 AM
I'm running with an LX RT Pro and usually have between 4-7 drops of oil inside of the ASA. It finally might be time to just purchase some spares from AGD...

sjrtk
06-08-2011, 05:12 PM
put a few drops of oil directly in to the macro fitting on the valve. skip the asa.

athomas
06-11-2011, 06:49 AM
A worn spring could cause your problems. They do wear out and are a consumable item that should be replaced periodically.

Is the bolt system level 7 or level 10?

Ando
06-11-2011, 07:37 AM
That's weird. It should have the same effect no mater which way the spring was turned. You might have one of those quirky issues with the thumb screw being too tight or loose. It does happen.

Algae198
06-11-2011, 10:47 PM
A worn spring could cause your problems. They do wear out and are a consumable item that should be replaced periodically.

Is the bolt system level 7 or level 10?

Its a Level 10 RT. Seems like if the spring isn't set "right" it'll chuff/reset when the bolt hits the detents.

That's weird. It should have the same effect no mater which way the spring was turned. You might have one of those quirky issues with the thumb screw being too tight or loose. It does happen.

The thumbscrew?

athomas
06-12-2011, 06:27 AM
The act of moving the bolt itself will free it up, so switching the spring probably isn't the reason it started working. It sounds like your bolt spring might be weak or your carrier is one size too small.

The field strip screw can cause problems if it is too tight because it puts too much torque on the valve in one location. If the body or rail has any tolerance issues or there is a piece of dirt anywhere, there will be a miss-alignment due to the extra tension. Essentially, the valve pulls itself to the top/bottom of the body instead of allowing an alignment with the middle of the body.