PDA

View Full Version : scuba tank or the like

kcombs9
06-12-2011, 10:21 PM
So iv found some kids to play with that have their own field and a chrono and play every weekend.

BYO paint and air, my issues is all the places I can get HPA at only fill 3k which is always under 3k by time the tank cools.

So to last a full day of play with these guys I want to look into my own scuba tank or similar so I can do my own fills. At some point ill get a shoebox I'm sure but for now I'll get a tank and fill it else where.

I have no clue what I need, Iv looked into used fireman tanks but they take different adapters that cost more then what I think go on scuba tanks, a 4.5k or 4k tank would be preferred so I get the most per a fill. what are my options and price point?

thanks!

M98Punk
06-13-2011, 07:54 AM
Check pawn shops, thrift shops (think the ones that look like they robbed Best Buy on their way to sanford and son, and any dive shops you may have around.

Craigslist is great, even put an add up saying you are looking for one (ask for one out of hydro lots of divers have one or two of those in the shed, those tanks almost never fail unless they are beat the :cuss: up.

Then it breaks your pricing up a bit because you pay for the tank then the hydro.

The fill stations can be found cheap I think IISports had some for dirt cheap last time I looked or check the pbn forums they show up dirt cheap there from time to time.

OPBN
06-13-2011, 08:14 AM
A bit in the same boat. I actually have the scuba fill adapter that screws into the scuba tank and connects to my PB tank for refills, but have yet to find a tank. The local scuba shop owner is a douche and won't sell me anything but a new one and wants $200+. I walked in and he had to have hundreds of used tanks, but won't sell any. Claims it's too much liability...? One thing he did say was that the highest pressure tank he had was like 3500. Not sure if he meant it was the highest pressure made, or just the highest pressure he had on hand. I do know his fill station only goes up to 3k or so though. He was pretty clear on that.

M98Punk
06-13-2011, 08:25 AM
ahhh he sounds like an asshat, most places now fill to 4500 if you got a 4500 steely that would be a great thing for pb.... accept carting that around! Sad really, I'd fish on craigslist lots of people get into scuba then out very quickly and have a tank sitting in the garage, and if you are in the Portsmouth, VA area I can direct you to my uncle whom I believe still has a few sitting

kcombs9
06-13-2011, 10:14 AM
so what type of filling station would i need for

http://cgi.ebay.com/Interspiro-SCBA-Carbon-Tank-Cylinder-4500-psi-/300539689426?pt=BI_Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item45f98fb9d2

OPBN
06-13-2011, 10:46 AM
so what type of filling station would i need for

http://cgi.ebay.com/Interspiro-SCBA-Carbon-Tank-Cylinder-4500-psi-/300539689426?pt=BI_Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item45f98fb9d2
Not sure. I thought for scuba there were only two types a DIN valve and a Yoke valve. The Yoke valve is the kind that you use this type of adapter for:

http://www.paintball-discounters.com/get_item_010557_hpa-scuba-fill-station.htm

Maybe the other type allows for higher fills, as this one says it's only rated for 3k.

kcombs9
06-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Not sure. I thought for scuba there were only two types a DIN valve and a Yoke valve. The Yoke valve is the kind that you use this type of adapter for:

http://www.paintball-discounters.com/get_item_010557_hpa-scuba-fill-station.htm

Maybe the other type allows for higher fills, as this one says it's only rated for 3k.

this is not a Scuba tank though, its SCBA, like your fire dept uses. its a 4500 tank so yes you need something rated to 5000.

I found this site.

http://www.deep-six.com/page100.htm

sent them an email see what they say.

kcombs9
06-13-2011, 11:08 AM
also found

http://www.scubacompressor.com/shop/paintball-adapter-p-285.html?osCsid=18325f95be36efb0b8dc9cbd6f3d3007

I think that is what I'll need.

M98Punk
06-13-2011, 05:18 PM
I'd stay away from teh scba tanks, they are by far the most beat up. maybe if they had a fresh hydro I'd think about it but usually when a FD gets rid of there tanks least round here they are ready to be brought out back and shot

rawbutter
06-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Prepare yourself. Here's the full low-down.

There are indeed two kinds of tanks: SCBA tanks (the kind firefighters usually use) and their lesser cousins, the SCUBA tank.

At first, SCBA tanks sound great. They have higher psi (4500) and they're lighter. However, this is because they are usually carbon fiber or fiberglass wrapped, which means they only have a legal lifespan of 15 years, so be sure to ask about the manufacturer date when you're shopping around. Most SCBA tank I've seen for sale are actually too old to ever be legally hydro'd again. For instance, this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/Interspiro-SCBA-Carbon-Tank-Cylinder-4500-psi-/300539689426?pt=BI_Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item45f98fb9d2) on eBay is pretty useless. Even if you buy the one he has that was manufactured in '97, that means it will be its usable lifespan in 2012.

And yes, you can get over a dozen nice fills from an SCBA tank, but even if you're lucky enough to find one that will still pass hydro for a few years, it's gonna be expensive. Like... $200+ for an non-hydro'd tank. Then, you'll have to get it hydro'd, and keep in mind that shipping a big SCBA tank is gonna cost you a LOT more than a little paintball tank. And after that, you have to spend more money buying the fittings to fill your paintball tanks, and since the fittings have to be rated for 4500 psi, they're going to be expensive too.... like, $50+.

So, when it's all said and done, getting yourself a nice SCBA setup could run you more than $400. You also need to make sure you have a place to fill it. Most SCUBA shops can't fill that high, and most fire stations won't work with civilians. But, if you have the money you want to spend, and a place to fill it, it would be really nice. Just don't kid yourself into thinking it's gonna be cheap. Unless you're a firefighter. :D

Because of the price, most people (like me) end up going the SCUBA route. SCUBA tanks are usually 3000 psi, though you can find 3300 and 3500 tanks. Yes, you might only get five or ten decent fills off the tank, but SCUBA tanks are made from steel or aluminum, which has an unlimited lifetime (as long as it passes hydro, of course). You can usually find used tanks for less than $100 (in hydro), and then you just need a cheap fitting like this (http://cgi.ebay.com/Scuba-Fill-Station-Paintball-HPA-tank-fill-Adapter-Blk-/170482073263?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item27b185feaf#ht_2521wt_1080) . So, for less than $150, you can have a portable fill station that will fill 3000 psi tanks, and you can get it filled at any SCUBA shop.

Personally, as someone who went through this whole process two years ago, I'd recommend the SCUBA tank. I found a 3300 psi tank for $160 (it came with the paintball adapter), and I can get it filled locally for $5. I play purely woodsball, and not only can I use my pneumag all day with my SCUBA tank, but I also share the tank with two other friends (one owns a Mini, and one owns a G3). It's super-easy and really convenient, and it was the best paintball investment I've ever made.

luke
06-15-2011, 09:31 AM
I have two SCUBA tanks I would sell includes a fill station. PM me if you're interested.

M98Punk
06-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Talking with my dive buddies.... after they harassed me for not doing any dives in the past 5 year they said your best bet would be to find a: Beauchat 190 apparenly they use to make a bunch of best dive tanks that could be filled to 4400psi and were 190 cu foot.... which is a hell of alot of air! Of course finding someone that will fill that beast...

kcombs9
06-15-2011, 12:02 PM
well I'm looking into scuba tanks, my FD told me they wont fill a SCBA for me (work with several FD members) so even if I got a good deal on one Id have to fill it myself (shoebox) which I cant do atm. there Is ONE scuba shop some what close to me and where I'd be playing.

thanks for the info and input guys! :hail:

kcombs9
06-16-2011, 11:46 AM
found a scuba shop about 30mins from my house, hydro 5$ + 15$ for his own inspection and Fills are free after the inspection!

two weeks to do the hydro but said he would let me use his tanks while they are away. couldn't ask for better service.