PDA

View Full Version : Machining a Mag Mainbody

Nanotech
06-21-2011, 07:17 PM
I've got access to a few reasonably comprehensive sets of machine tools for the next month and a bit, so I'm looking to machine my own mainbody. Nothing fancy; while I do have a few small CNC mills around (a LittleMachineShop, plus 3 others in various stages of operability), I know approximately nothing about programming them, so it would have to be simple cuts at best. Easiest case, I stick with manual machines, probably end up with just an aluminum block with the proper threads, holes, and slots cut, then filed down by hand to how I want it.

There are several pictures floating around of projects like this, as well as all the awesome bodies produced by our local magsmiths. Any comments, warnings, considerations I should take into account? My Google-Fu must be lacking, as I can't find any How-To-type threads. Has no one done a writeup on this before? If so, I might document it along the way and make my own guide.

Is 6061 necessary, or can lower-grade aluminum work? I'd prefer to make an integrated body-rail, as that looks to eliminate a number of problems with keeping the body bottom flush with the rail, as well as letting me mess around with a variety of ergonomics.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

aerosaaber
06-21-2011, 08:22 PM
what about getting a slug body and work from that?

Newt
06-21-2011, 09:34 PM
7075 aluminum. 2024 would work from a strength standpoint, but have fun anodizing it.

Don't forget the steel ring.

Nanotech
06-22-2011, 09:11 PM
I was considering getting a slug body, but would prefer to start from scratch. Rather than finding one, picking up the tooling now would let me do some work in the future as well, which I'm sure will come up eventually.

Any advice on the easiest way to cut the internal grooves? I have the slug body files, so measurements aren't an issue. Can they just be cut square and flat, instead of contoured?

my automag
07-15-2011, 11:49 AM
I was considering getting a slug body, but would prefer to start from scratch. Rather than finding one, picking up the tooling now would let me do some work in the future as well, which I'm sure will come up eventually.

Any advice on the easiest way to cut the internal grooves? I have the slug body files, so measurements aren't an issue. Can they just be cut square and flat, instead of contoured?

Curious how you are coming along, and if you were able to make any progress?

Trying a few things myself here... :ninja:

Good luck with everything. :cheers: