PDA

View Full Version : What is the best oil?

OneSelfLost
06-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Hey,

So I am wondering if there is one oil that may be better than another. I oil my mags about once a week, and before and after every day of play. Today, before playing, I pulled out my on/off to oil it, and it was BONE DRY. I only oiled it a week ago, took a few shots to cycle it through, and left it. A good oil, I feel, should not leave my O-rings dry after a few shots and a few days of sitting.

Any suggestions?

georgeyew
06-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Many players considered KC Trouble Free one of the best oils in the old days. They have gone under but there is another company that bought the formula and is producing it, the name escapes me.

I have some KC left. But I am also using Superlube PTFE in some of my markers without any issues.

OneSelfLost
06-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Actually K-C trouble free is what I am using..

georgeyew
06-26-2011, 11:46 PM
And it is dry after a week? I've gone months without oiling my mags with KC and there is still oil on the valve parts.

IrishRedneck86
06-26-2011, 11:54 PM
I personally use AKA extreme lube and it works great in my mags.

Dover
06-27-2011, 01:06 AM
i can't get a lot of these name-brand oils up here in Canada, or more specifically my small town of Penticton BC

I work as head tech and senior ref / coach at an indoor reball facility, and i am very dissappointed that we have a rental fleet of about 40 PMI Piranha markers which run great, but every once in a while need a couple drops of oil in the ASA like the Manual sez.

Unfortunately when you are teching 40+ markers you want more than a little dropper bottle of oil, so i also read that light machine oil like sewing machine oil will work?

Ultimately what i am doing right now, instead of running these guns dry, is putting a few drops of air compressor oil in the ASA. The formula appears to agree with o-rings, which is is very important; my boss bought a spray-can of lube to spray into the ASA's and i think it ate the o-rings instead...

i used to own a car but don't anymore so i can't remember how to choose the lightest motor oil, would that work ?

redlaser666
06-27-2011, 01:17 AM
Air tool oil is OK, but some are a bit thick. Motor oil is not good since most petroleum products damage o-rings.

I have used KC for a long time with no problems. The planet eclipse oil seems ok as well.

Chrome
06-27-2011, 07:11 AM
Here is the URL of the company selling the KC formula:

http://www.candcsynthetics.com/

I've ordered direct from them before and had a good experience doing so.

Hobbez
06-27-2011, 07:50 AM
I use air tool oil for my mags, have for years. I've had classic valves stay oiled literally for months in storage using this stuff. Its cheap, works good, and comes in huge bottles. Its my understanding that air compressor oil is a different animal than air tool oil, so I've never used it.

Ando
06-27-2011, 07:55 AM
I been using Tri-Flow for the last 6+ years. It's easily purchased at any auto parts store, walmart..ect and 100% safe on the orings. Won't swell or brake them down one bit.

Most oils if left sitting for long periods of time will turn green/brown usually and gel up. The oil that came with the automag is one example of that and the reason why I stopped using it.

They have a whole Youtube channel on the stuff if you want to ck it out.

Pneumagger
06-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Hey,

So I am wondering if there is one oil that may be better than another.

Snake Oil.
Makes just about any marker shoot flatter, further, straighter & more quiet.
From the 90's and early 2000's, autocockers used this exclusively.

skipdogg
06-27-2011, 10:04 AM
I use autolube on my automags... :ninja:

Bear_Claw
06-27-2011, 11:08 AM
I just use hopes #9 gun oil. Always have its easily available cheap and has served my old ass guns for years without issues.

maniacmechanic
06-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Snake Oil.
Makes just about any marker shoot flatter, further, straighter & more quiet.
From the 90's and early 2000's, autocockers used this exclusively.

I was thinkin he was lucky he lived in Canada ; lots of bears ; rendered bear fat makes the best oil :rolleyes:

Shirow
06-27-2011, 08:38 PM
I've been using AKA oil for a while, I haven't really noticed any functional diff between any oil I've used over the last 10 years though

Dover
06-27-2011, 10:50 PM
I was thinkin he was lucky he lived in Canada ; lots of bears ; rendered bear fat makes the best oil :rolleyes:

no no no, killer whale blubber makes the best oil ! :spit_take

pedro13
06-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Is 3-in-one the same as tri-flow? I was just in Walmart, but they only had 3-in-one..

OneSelfLost
06-27-2011, 11:47 PM

HAHAHA, what am I gonna do? Put on my parka and go club a baby seal? Sell it on the black market as "paintball oil" LOL :rolleyes:

Edit: if that joke crossed any lines, please just give me a warning and I will delete it.

All joking aside, I got a bottle of Gold Cup, any arguments there? I'll lube 'er up and take 'er for spin, see what happens.

Shirow
06-28-2011, 06:14 AM
I used Gold Cup for years, it's fine

Ando
06-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Is 3-in-one the same as tri-flow? I was just in Walmart, but they only had 3-in-one..
No sir. I think WD-40 makes that stuff.

SockMonkey
06-28-2011, 10:43 AM
I love my bottle of KC-trouble free. found a new bottle of it in my uncles old paintball stuff.

cockerpunk
06-28-2011, 11:07 AM
go to the hardware store and buy some pnumatic air tool oil.

magtard13
06-28-2011, 11:28 AM
racheal ray would say evoo

OPBN
06-28-2011, 12:38 PM
I used Gold Cup for years, it's fine
My biggest issue with GC is that every bottle I have gotten has leaked. I throw them in my tool box, they fall over and leak all over everything. Sad that the cheap little bottles of Extreme rage oil don"t do it, but the $6.00 bottle of GC does.

Justus
06-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Like Ando, I'm a fan of Tri-flow after using it for awhile. I was using Hoppes #9 before that, but found that it left a dirty-gray film that almost looked like corrosion. Granted, that was on my Tippmann rather than my Mag, and it was pretty easily wiped off, but I'd rather the oil stay the same consistency. The Tri-flow hasn't let me down.

Whatever you end up using, just make sure it's synthetic.

BiNumber3
06-28-2011, 04:26 PM
I've always used Gold Cup as well, and also run into the leaky bottles, every single one of em... ah well though lol

bound for glory
06-28-2011, 09:28 PM
gold cup.

Newt
07-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Gold cup seems to mess with the urethane orings. They turn brown and go nasty.

Has anyone tried synthetic motor oil? I don't see any reason that wouldn't be an excellent choice.

reckid1986
07-02-2011, 08:43 PM
i use air tool oil with a couple drops of transmission fluid, it has stopped leaks in many of the markers that i bought used. Been using this for about the last 6 years or so.

as for gold cup oil if anyone gets a bottle mailed to them and half of it has leaked out in the package just get a hold of them and complain about, they sent me out a new bottle for free and between the 2 I got 1 full bottle lol. This was a long time ago I think that I still have them sitting in a couple zip lock bags somewhere and last time I came across them the bag was soaked with oil...

Joelus Morolus
07-02-2011, 08:53 PM
yea i use gold cup and i have always had problems with them leaking! haha

Redic
07-02-2011, 09:04 PM
yea i use gold cup and i have always had problems with them leaking! haha

The old bottles that were like eye drop bottles never leaked on me. However the new twist caps are junk.

KurtPB
07-04-2011, 07:13 PM
I use that cheap, thin, Extreme Rage gun oil. Actually haven't oiled my 'mag in 4 or so months and no problems.

OneSelfLost
07-04-2011, 09:02 PM
I oil my mag religiously, I have been using gold cup since I initially posted this and it hasn't dried out on me.. yet.. I won't let them dry out. :)