PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

1stTarget
06-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Found these mods for Ion/Vibe:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dealers-forum/158844-closed-bolt-ion-conversion-kits.html

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dealers-forum/164237-y0da900-deathwish_dws-mech-ion-mod-drop-kit-pre-order.html

If these mods are done, what type of gun would it be(pneu, mech, in line)?

Drix
06-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Well, It'd be an pneumatic spool valve. Essentially you've added another dump chamber of sorts to allow the bolt to travel foreward, but it doesn't constitute redefining the gun like say a MQ would do to a cocker.

Honestly, this looks like a bit of a gimmck and just another part to add on to your "$1200" ion, but hey, maybe it'll put some kids gun over the top can get a straight up trade for a NT or something. :ninja:

1stTarget
06-29-2011, 09:31 AM
Well actually I had my RT classic stolen. As I fell in love with auto mags I am replacing this. But this Ion conversion looks like a project that seems to employ some mag type mechanics. I am looking for a grip and frame to build my own.

Newt
06-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Just avoid any of those cheap Smart Parts ion components.

Drix
06-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Well actually I had my RT classic stolen. As I fell in love with auto mags I am replacing this. But this Ion conversion looks like a project that seems to employ some mag type mechanics. I am looking for a grip and frame to build my own.

Absolutely(ish).

The design of the ion lends it self to pneumatics quite well- I've literally seen someone dump a small autococker 3 way in the frame and get rid of the whole electronic board. I've stolen this picture from SpyderPB819 at that other popular paintball sight :argh: for another idea just using an mpa-3 instead of a cocker 3 way. This would give your ion the old school autococker pneumatic feel, while keeping the standard bolt design:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305/xluben211/paintball%20-%20mech%20ion/MechIonAssemblyPic.jpg

1stTarget
06-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Drlx thank you for the diagram. As this is my first attempt at such a project, could you provide the link? I am no sure if I can use the standard reg, or need to replace, and other points. Thank to all for info.

redlaser666
06-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Absolutely(ish).

The design of the ion lends it self to pneumatics quite well- I've literally seen someone dump a small autococker 3 way in the frame and get rid of the whole electronic board. I've stolen this picture from SpyderPB819 at that other popular paintball sight :argh: for another idea just using an mpa-3 instead of a cocker 3 way. This would give your ion the old school autococker pneumatic feel, while keeping the standard bolt design:

How is the dwell controlled in the example you posted? A mech valve would have a varied dwell depending on how long you push it ????

1stTarget
06-30-2011, 08:12 PM
This 3-way valve is popular as a trigger valve in Pneu Mag conversions. From ASP web site.
Apparently it is a "fast" response value, it is used in auto mag,ion, and other pnue set ups. But as for direct knowledge not sure how it will do.

Drix
06-30-2011, 09:08 PM
It will be "interesting" in an ion. Problem you'll run into is when the trigger is pulled air can go straight from the regulator down the barrel offshooting your FPS and giving inconsistencies. Mag's go around this with their firing pin design. The best way to change up that setup is to be able to seal the dump chamber from the Air in source. This would be achived with a bolt similar to a DM bolt with dual o-rings on the tail, I'd bet if you looked at the hundreds of after market ion bolts you could find one that does this.