PDA

View Full Version : DYE Rotor price jump

ALF702
07-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Random off-topic:
Anyone notice the price jump in the DYE Rotor?, when i checked last month it was going for 159, now its 189,

nathanjones008
07-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Random off-topic:
Anyone notice the price jump in the DYE Rotor?, when i checked last month it was going for 159, now its 189,

YES! I am so upset! :mad: I was really thinking about buying one. I wonder what is going on? Is 159 not enough?

ALF702
07-01-2011, 10:53 AM
this price jump makes me want to wait and see what VL replaces the discontinued vlocity loaders with.

BigEvil
07-01-2011, 11:56 AM
That is a total joke on Dye's part. Screw that, they can keep them all.

I hear there is a new Prophecy coming soon..hopefully its not $200

IrishRedneck86
07-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Its the economy man and also supply and demand they have what we want and they need more money to produce them cause its the same amount of money in this jump as the last one. So as shipping costs and rising costs of raw materials they have to raise the prices. It sucks for us but at the same time they have to clear the same amount of overhead otherwise we may have another company bite the dust if they bend to our demands of lower prices just to keep us happy at the moment. Besides I can also bet the price raise is due to the fact they arent selling as many loaders as they were in the past few years.

Courgar Hunter
07-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Dye is not the only company raising their prices kee is as well and a few others its due to the cost of petrol overseas where they get the material from I have customers complaining about it so your beet bet is to find one used I picked one up for 20.00 about **** my pants thought something was wrong just needed a new finger

OPBN
07-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Meh, don't really care. Chances of me buying one new were slim anyways. Chances are non-existent now. I'll buy used like I do with the rest of my gear.

going_home
07-01-2011, 01:52 PM
V1 had no way to clear jambs.
V2 upgraded with a fin to clear jambs.
I'm thinking V3 will have a small upgrade of some kind.
I too have picked up the ones I have used.
Much cheaper than new.

;)

maniacmechanic
07-01-2011, 04:30 PM
and it does make a difference in who ya know , my 1st new rotor about a year ago 110$ , the Team just bought 5 , 3 months ago @ 125$ a piece

bumbabeef
07-01-2011, 07:01 PM
might have a camo rotor for grabs in the near future

some hippie
07-01-2011, 10:17 PM
special edition prophecy dropped to 199.99- with all 3 fronts, speed feed and upgraded board. I stick with my pinnokio though

MeŠiCX
07-02-2011, 09:26 AM
I've been using Rotors since they came out. IMO best hopper ever. I've tried Prophecies, pinokios, and the new valken hopper. I'll stick with the Rotor.

I have four shooters in my fam, wife, me and two sons. All use Rotors. DYE fanboy?? Only when it comes to Rotors....

Dover
07-02-2011, 01:00 PM
i waited because i have the tendency to buy something as soon as it comes out....

in 1999 i ran out and bought an Angel LED. in 2004 i ran out and got a DM4. i remember shelling out $ 120 Cdn. for a brand new VL Revolution when that released in the '90s.

So i waited and sho nuff, got a LNIB Rotor, still in the Box with Manual and Warranty Card, for $ 100 shipped just by hunting around, still has the Retail sticker for $ 160

Gadget
07-03-2011, 05:43 PM
The Rotor is stupidly expensive now - although having said that, it's the best loader I've ever owned, bar none, utter genius design and superb build quality.

special edition prophecy dropped to 199.99- with all 3 fronts, speed feed and upgraded board. I stick with my pinnokio though

Personally I'd steer clear of the LTD Prophecies and get the standard model - our team got the LTDs and have had nothing but problems with the boards, the stock model works great.

ricco220273
07-03-2011, 07:22 PM
In Canada you can expect to pay about 200 bucks for a rotor
Yes it is exspensive but it is the best hopper I have ever used and I highly would reccommend it

bumbabeef
07-10-2011, 08:03 PM
can you use a rotor on a stock ule feedneck. Trying to sell my rotor and I've only used it on ccm feednecks.

Spazmok
07-10-2011, 08:26 PM
rotors don't fit standard ule feednecks without either grinding out the inside of the feedneck or sanding down the feedtube of the rotor.

Chronobreak
07-10-2011, 09:47 PM
dye is known for raising prices if/when demand gets short as well.

Pudgey51
07-14-2011, 12:24 AM
i got lucky, after they raised the price punishers had the white rotor for the old price still so i jumped on it...in hindsight i probably should have bought another 2 and then sold the extra ones off....

dahoeb
07-14-2011, 12:50 AM
I've been rocking a warp/revvy combo for almost a decade now so the last time I was in the market for a new hopper, the halo was the rage and cost 120ish, so I can't speak to the function of the rotor.

But $189 for a single hopper? Waaaaayyy too rich for my blood. To add insult to injury, the thing probably cost 25 bucks to make. Given Dyes market segment, it doesn't surprise me that he's going to milk them for every penny he can get. He could add 15cents of glitter to the shell, call it special edition, jump the price $40 and and many of his customers would still buy it.

OPBN
07-14-2011, 09:19 AM
To add insult to injury, the thing probably cost 25 bucks to make.
I think you're being very generous.

magtard13
07-14-2011, 01:45 PM
pinokhio all the way. i bought mine for 119.00
how can you go wrong with that?

Skeeter
07-24-2011, 08:35 PM
pinokhio all the way. i bought mine for 119.00
how can you go wrong with that?

The raw COST to manufacture a Pinokio is about $35... As told to me by Evan Estrate. $119 gives him one massive profit margin. I don't mind the simplicity of the design, but the price does not fall in line with the technology and development costs.

Not sure how much is costs to build a Rotor, but the costs to develop the technology WERE significant!!!

BenoitOWN
07-24-2011, 09:47 PM
The raw COST to manufacture a Pinokio is about $35... As told to me by Evan Estrate. $119 gives him one massive profit margin.

Nope doesn't make a massive profit margin(only if he sell one directly), distributor have their cost and dealer have their cost. Everyone make a profit so it need a massive gap to start selling something.

Newt
07-24-2011, 09:57 PM
I hope you know the guys business model well before criticizing it. Even if raw cost is that low, that's a good thing. The margin leaves a lot of room for future r&d, warranty, fit & finish, etc. I know I'd rather buy from a company with a good profit margin than one that's too dumb to factor that in. They'll be around longer when you need support.

spece108
07-25-2011, 06:23 AM
Nope doesn't make a massive profit margin(only if he sell one directly), distributor have their cost and dealer have their cost. Everyone make a profit so it need a massive gap to start selling something.

True all around, one of my mates (lucky bastard) got an Axe from one of the biggest wholesale places for warehouse cost. $189, regular dealer is a chunk higher and retail is $430ish. The power of buying in bulk. Still, the manufacturer is likely double keying from cost at least. So I'm guessing a $90-100 cost.

I'm not sold on a ton of r&d costs here. If you had a few brain storming meetings, starting with a flow chart of what standard improvements are currently popular then check off which ones can be applied to the mini without much of a cost raise. Retooling is likely the biggest cost. Eye covers were even dropped to save on cost.

hill160881
07-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Until Dye has competition they can charge whatever they want. Try this, hold a prophecy and rotor at 6' up then droop them onto the hard ground. Now you will see why they can charge so much, rotor still fine and prophecy in pieces.

Until the other companies make a hopper more tough that wont crack from regular use I will stick with the rotor.

BenoitOWN
07-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Know the name of that wholesale place? Id like to send my application there :P

spece108
07-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Know the name of that wholesale place? Id like to send my application there :P

Lol, I'll pm you.

The Crippler was the best. Rip and here's to more multiple concussion research.

Shirow
07-26-2011, 07:00 AM
Until Dye has competition they can charge whatever they want. Try this, hold a prophecy and rotor at 6' up then droop them onto the hard ground. Now you will see why they can charge so much, rotor still fine and prophecy in pieces.

Until the other companies make a hopper more tough that wont crack from regular use I will stick with the rotor.

Yes, but try this..

Take $200 and go buy yourself a hopper. If you get the rotor, you have nothing left for beer.

Skeeter
07-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Yes, but try this..

Take $200 and go buy yourself a hopper. If you get the rotor, you have nothing left for beer.

I am still selling them in my store for $155 (loaded up on them, before the price increase).

You make a good point, but if you buy a Rotor this year, it will be the best and last hopper you will ever need, so you will still have beer money next year, and the next, and the next, and the next...