PDA

View Full Version : Automag "people"

robander3
07-07-2011, 02:55 PM
So I was playing at a field near me a few weeks backs and when ever I take out my mag (xvalve, wl ule body, warp feed, etc) most people look at it dumb founded of sorts and a few look at and know what it is. And I started to look more into the kind of people who looked dumb founded or confused at to what it was. (yes, I've had some ppl say "is that an ion" :mad: )

They are usually the speedball (or the mil-sim/scenario) type player and they're in general my age. Or they're younger kids just getting into it or fathers taking their son out to play, they usually come up to me and ask what it is, and i tell. But then I have the field owner come up to me and say "yeah man, nice warp feed" and such or other few mag owners say nice mag and me back n such. The other people shooing the mag are either older and have been in the sport for a long time or they're my age and have the same level of difficulty of a major as I, (like law, engineering, pre-med, etc)

Background on myself:
I'm a senior at RPI (engineering school) for aeronautical engineering (my mom calls it rocket science), just tuned 22, have 1 ule mag, 1 egomag ( I built myself), 1 emag, 1 classic, and 1 sanchez machine SM-1, started playing when i when I was 16 (w/a 98c) and was asked to join a local team, silver backs, and they for the most part shot mags, so I got one. They players of the team were some "older players" who have been in the sport from the beginning and my dad, they knew my dad from work and got him into paintball and then me. And from then on i've always shot a mag (besides the sm-1), granted I've had an A4 angel (payed $50 for it) and a cocker, both of which tormented me. And now I currently mostly play at ASC in Nassau, NY as a rec player.

So back to my observation, people that shoot mags have either been in the sport back when mags and cockers were big on the scene or people like me who are of the engineering mind set (or similar) and love the simplicity on how they operate and ease of modification. Or the few who saw one once, thought it was cool, and went out and bought it w/o knowing much about it (aka; one of my friends).

So what do you all think about that statement? That mag shooters are most likely from back when they were popular (90's era paintball, i'm not saying mags aren't popular or such) or people of an engineering/technical/etc background.

Side note: is anyone doing AO jersey's or anyone have an interested in any?

bigbthebenji
07-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Well, I am 23. Definitely wasn't around when mags were the new and popular and I SUCK with tools and stuff. My brother played in the early 90's and passed down his mag to me when I was 12. I fell in love with it (autoresponse!) Since then, I've had nearly 800 guns, but I'm back to shooting mags religiously again. Haven't used anything but a mag for a year or so.

skipdogg
07-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Tom had me at hello...

captian pinky
07-07-2011, 03:32 PM
im 20 and have 5 mags(3ule,1micro,1ule pump). my local field is the only one i know of that still has mags on the wall for sale new. paintball charleston has taught me well since i was a little runt. learning that quality will always last.

ps my major is mechanical engineering ;)

robander3
07-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Well, I am 23. Definitely wasn't around when mags were the new and popular and I SUCK with tools and stuff. My brother played in the early 90's and passed down his mag to me when I was 12. I fell in love with it (autoresponse!) Since then, I've had nearly 800 guns, but I'm back to shooting mags religiously again. Haven't used anything but a mag for a year or so.

So I guess another case then is when ppl pass the guns alone...

im 20 and have 5 mags(3ule,1micro,1ule pump). my local field is the only one i know of that still has mags on the wall for sale new. paintball charleston has taught me well since i was a little runt. learning that quality will always last.

my field owner has a tac one and a few emags, lucky man

Tom had me at hello...

I would of love meet him some day...

robertsr1811
07-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Been a Mag shooter since I could afford a used one. Now most of my team shoots them after seeing mine in action. I'm 41. The youngest teammate is 20.

Dirge
07-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Nice to see another magger in the area :D What field do you usually go to?

OneSelfLost
07-07-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm 25, electronics engineering technologist, mag lover.

I have been through quite a few guns (not as many as Bigb.. Jeeze! :rofl: ) and nothing shoots as well as my mags, thats why I stuck with them. It's all I shoot now. All 4 of them haha!

I had a kid ask me a couple weeks ago (about my WL emag).. "What kind of Shocker body is that?" . . Not only was I unimpressed but a little insulted too. But still I just smiled and explained to him what it was.

38super
07-07-2011, 05:10 PM
I'm one of the "older" dudes. Bought my first Mag, a level 7, when it was new and still have it/still use it. All it has ever needed was a reg seal and some oil. It always works, shoots straight and still rocks the field. In a moment of weakness I bought an 05 Superstock Cocker and it still sits in my cabinet mostly unused. Nice gun but not a Mag. Unfortunately not worth the time to try and sell it. Bought a new RT ULE two years ago and finally did the homework to tune it to my liking a few months ago with the kind help of some AO members. I have yet to see anything else that can touch it. I have no need or interest in anything else.

robander3
07-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Nice to see another magger in the area :D What field do you usually go to?

If you're talking to me I go to Albany Scenario Club, They're having an Indiana Jones scenario this weekend i'm looking forward too

hbu?

Dirge
07-07-2011, 05:23 PM
If you're talking to me I go to Albany Scenario Club, They're having an Indiana Jones scenario this weekend i'm looking forward too

hbu?

I am. That is my regular field. I'll be there on Saturday. I'll either be running some kind of Mag or a T2. See you there!

ALF702
07-07-2011, 05:34 PM
I went out to High Velocity Paintball in Coram LI on monday to shoot some paint cause it was free admission and air, only had to pay for paint. There was well over 75 people at the field including employees but sadly... only the 1 "older" employee working the fill station trailor knew what I was holding. He then asked about the vertical feed.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/263865_10150255808628530_526213529_7298955_3703164 _n.jpg

hill160881
07-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Been shooting a mag since 92, so I guess I fall right into your category. :D Owned lots of other markers but I prefer my mags :shooting:

Edit: I forgot to mention that i like to tinker, hehe, and I am unusually mechanically inclined even though I have not completed a formal education. I learn these things very fast hands on. :D

DevilMan
07-07-2011, 08:06 PM
I only started PB in 97 or so... exact time I'm not sure... my FIRST gun was a Spyder One... I would have another if I could find one cheap enough... :D Just for kicks... But I played/practiced with a semi-pro team The Far East Dragons... and the first mag I shot was the ZBody mag that was made/patented by Yoshi of the team. That pretty much hooked me and got me set to the whole Z body kick that I've been on. I've shot all kinds of guns and still own far too many but in the end I think most that know me and have played with/against me know that more often then not I pick up a mag by the end of the day. I have plenty of them and so not one really gets used more than others...

I don't bother educating the masses... I shoot em.

DM

Joelus Morolus
07-07-2011, 08:56 PM
i am 24, have been playing since 2005.
started with a 98 custom that i modded a bit.
found it was too heavy (not too heavy) but mostly cumbersome, as well as with all the "upgrades" i was well on my way to dumping money into something without getting great performance.
joined a paintball club in cayuga ontario. guy owns a huge farm and converted the back 20 acres or so into a woodsball field, totally legit and very diverse.
used the 98 for a while there then did my research on the best mechanical marker out there (because i play hard and don't believe in electros lighting people up with lazers, ropes, etc) and came across the tac one.

bought a brand new tac from AGD in 2007 and have been loving it ever since.

i have a degree in english from McMaster and currently finishing my Operating Engineer Class B in Refrigeration, so i work on compressors and have a great knowledge of mechanical things.

so i fall into the category of engineer/mechanical tinkerer.

GEE TEE
07-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Been shooting a mag since 92, so I guess I fall right into your category. :D Owned lots of other markers but I prefer my mags :shooting:

I started playing in 87 and picked up my first mag in around 94. I shot either the Automag or cockers 50/50 for most of the 90's, and didn't shoot my first electro until 2005. I still prefer mechanical guns as they have so much tinkering potential. Modern electro semi's have become too refined and reliable, and I get bored shooting them after a while. Give me a box of old cocker/mag parts to build from and I'm in my element.

We loaned our pumps to some Xball players last month. Most had never shot one before and it took a bit of coaching before they got the hang of it. Watching them from the sidelines was hilarious, but they all came off the field saying they really enjoyed it. I noticed how much more mobile they were on pumps. The lack of paint in the air really encouraged them to move about and work the field. The 10.5bps game was a static (dull) and expensive paint fest by comparison.

cockerpunk
07-08-2011, 10:49 AM
i was a cocker guy when i was young. i remember reading the thread in deep blue about gun accuracy clutching my autococker saying "it can't be true ... i just can't be" future punkworks researcher had been grabbed, hook line and sinker by the myths.

so i came into automags a bit backwards. my first was an RT Pro in about 2003, have since stuck to RT classics because mags get to be money pits when you start upgrading a classic. first its a ULE body, then you might as well get the X valve, then you might as well get the intelli, then you might as well ... and 700 dollars later you have a bone stock classic mag, and an aluminum ULEed everything automag.

i really only came to apprciate automags as an adult. i enjoy the simplicity of function of design, i enjoy the pure engineering of each gun, its a gun that was built without regard to price point, which is ultimatly what killed it, but they are great fun. really the only complant i have on them is the effeiency is not very good, but otherwise they are great fun to play with.

i am pretty agnositc now a days when it comes to mags and cockers. i appreciate each one for what they are, and enjoy shooting both.

leloup
07-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Been playing since '94 ish, have a BA in business and masters in teaching, so I don't fall under your stereotype. :) come to think of it, I don't remember how I got introduced to mags...but I love them. Well love isn't the right word, more like addicted.

sQuidvision
07-08-2011, 12:17 PM
I am 26 and have been playing rec ball since 2002, never on a team. started off with a tippmann a5, only in the last year or so have i found automags... but i think its safe to say i am completely hooked... i now have a pumpmag, egomag, and a zgrip'd mag... i am trying to stop but i just cant help it! I have also tried some electro markers, still like and have an ego, but preffer to shoot the pumpmag.

I never did finish school but i worked as a consultant for autodesk products with architectural firms and now am an IT admin for a small local company... so i guess i kind of fall into your categories...

bound for glory
07-08-2011, 01:04 PM
i'm an old timer. i had the 3rd mag shipped to new jersey. and it had its share of problems, too. i don't know how many times it was sent back to agd. finally, i got feed up and called and said, "this think leaks like a seive, can i get a refund?" tom called me back and said, send it back, i'll go over it, and if it still leaks, i'll make sure you get a refund". (i had bought the mag from a store in nj, and back then, some people did'nt like to stand by warrentys). well, it came back with an expansion hose and a few tweaks, and it rulled the field. best gun and(as of late) company in paintball.
its byound me why its been mia these last years. a shame, if you ask me...

magtard13
07-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Ok all, THIS IS WHY I SHOOT AN AUTOMAG AND ONLY AN AUTOMAG. from this day forth....
so, i played for a semipro team for 3 years well two teams.... but while i played i shot a WGP autococker w/ palmers guts. i also shot an AKA excalibur, and a backup PMI piranha. anyway, i always meant to get a Mag, but never really got the kick in the ass. i've always thought that they hurt more when shot with one, that they were THE most accurate and that they were THE most reliable. that being said, i sold ALL of my gear. years past and i got the itch, thought about it before i started again and decided to get my $#!t together and play more affordable and "mature" so i decided to get ONLY the gear needed AND the most efficient. two markers came to mind... besides the almighty Mag, the Bob Long Timmy came to mind, so i got one, then my bigggggg project came. MY Automag. and so i built my lusty miracle machine from all new parts. and i am so satisfied and happy with my girl. although, i have still yet to gas her up, she is complete in construction. tuning and playing w/ her still is yet to come. but she is a work of art. if anyone wants to see her, i will reviel my Automag very soon. keep yer eye out... but anyway, i know for a fact that i will never need another marker. EVER. no matter how new and "cool" a "modern" marker could be, i know that my Mag is all i will want and need. because the Automag is timeless and a masterpiece of engeniering. it should always be regaurded as such and respected throughout paintball history. and i am VERY happy to have made my mind up to decide on the ONE marker that has proven itself to me and all of us. so reguardless of the month you were born in, you should know the wonders of this incredible marker.
word.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

sjrtk
07-10-2011, 06:37 PM
I am 26 and have been playing since i was about 12. Started with a Tiger shark while dreaming of owning a Minimag. Played with alot of markers mostly modded 98, Then i finally got a mag and have never gone back. Now I am a mechanic/re-engineer, with a mag addiction that just won't relent.

So yes it does look like most mag users can at least appreciate the complex simplicity that is engineered in to mags. If the whole world was designed like mags nothing would ever go wrong and i would be out of work. They are art in motion when you know how they function.

OPBN
07-10-2011, 06:50 PM
43 and came in late to the dance. While I played a few times in the early 90's, I didnt really buy gear and start playing regularly until a few years ago. Started with a 98Custom, worked my way through some A5's etc and bought a stock Mag off of Ebay for $120 with an out of hydro tank included after seeing a membe of the Tippmann forum post up some of his markers. I liked the look of the Mag and it's simplicity. When I got it though, I was a little intimidated by the valve. Took me a couple of months to work up the courage to actually disassemble it.

As far as background, I have a BA in Criminal Justice, but have worked as a salesman in the electronics industry for nearly 20 years. I have little formal technical background, but tend to be a tinkerer and DIY kind of guy. While not always successful in putting them back together, I have always been one of those guys that loves to tank stuff apart and figure out how it works.

unived micindev
07-11-2011, 07:31 AM
I am 29, playing since 2002, first marker was vm-68, but soon after I've found 68classic in czech paintball store - there is not many of them around and never was. Now I have rt/pro and most of my teamates shoots mag ;)

I'm running company focused on industrial and furniture design, but since crisis we do mostly architecture visualizations

Spider-TW
07-11-2011, 11:08 AM
I've met a few automag users that just like the way they shoot. They don't think much beyond oil or know anything about AO; they have a friend or relative to help them out.

I think most of active AO must be relatively intelligent just to have the interest, even though we sometimes appear otherwise. :rolleyes:

I have wondered about the total AO membership, including the members with less than about 10 posts ever. I would think they might water down the percentage of old and/or technical automag users showing up on AO.

balla fo life
07-11-2011, 01:33 PM
i have 5 mags 2 in parts and still collecting them i got in to mags when i was 16 like benji said the autoresponse and i am 20 now. im shorting my collection down to all mags and one boblong. yes they still make ao jerseys head over to animalpaintball.com

robander3
07-11-2011, 01:57 PM
i have 5 mags 2 in parts and still collecting them i got in to mags when i was 16 like benji said the autoresponse and i am 20 now. im shorting my collection down to all mags and one boblong. yes they still make ao jerseys head over to animalpaintball.com

Thanks for the website
:cheers:

bbotts77
07-11-2011, 02:54 PM
I started playing paintball in the late 80s or early 90s. My first marker was a splatmaster rapide, which I still have and I think it still works. I took a break for a while.

When the first spyders came out, I bought one of those and got back into the sport. I reffed at a local field for a season or two which really helped my game a lot. I also bought a 'mag somewhere around here that I actually only used once or twice.

I and a couple of friends (and co-workers) swept two amateur (corporate) tournies and were accused of being hired guns, even though we had all been working at the company for three years before the first of the two tournaments. I took another break.

About five years ago, one of my buddies had his bachelor party at CPX. This got me back into paintball again. I decided to pull the mag out and use it. I loved the way it shot but knew there was room for improvement. I ended up replacing everything but the rail and kick myself for doing the "go x-valve" valve trade-in. I never thought I'd need that old AIR valve.

I now own about 12 markers in various levels of working order. One splatmaster, one BL Millenium with all AKA internals, all of the parts from my original spyder, and a bunch of 'mags. I'm currently working on a pumpmag, a pneumag and an EP 'mag. I think the tinkering is what I love most about my 'mags.

I'm now 34. My primary is a ULE X-Valved 'mag with a bunch of ULE milling done by Luke. My backup is an Invert Mini. I don't like to waste paint, so I really only pull that out when some :cuss: is lighting up noobs with his electro.

Anyway, even though I do have a nerdy technical job, I don't think it's necessarily the engineers/nerds that shoot 'mags. It's the people who love to tinker and don't mind paying a little extra for a quality product. I believe that paying more for quality means it will last longer and I won't have to replace it as soon. I think most 'mag users are of a similar mindset.

DoubleDutch
07-11-2011, 03:10 PM
I am 38 and a mechanical engineer/programmer. I got my first classic used in 92 or so while in college, and have since acquired an additional classic, two E-Mags, and a pnue'ed RT Pro. This last weekend I played in two 2-day scenario at Wayne's World with my warped E-Mag, and got a lot of questions about it. I think I saw only one other Mag, a Tac One. When it started raining the second day, I switched to my original classic, yes the one I've had for almost 20 years. I had a primo hopper on it for no batteries, and I got just as many kills, if not more, than I was getting with my e-mag. Everything was wet, everyone had fogged goggles. At some point the paint was so swollen, it was hanging "mid-air" in the elbow until I whacked it some. Good times.

aerosaaber
07-11-2011, 06:06 PM
I play at ASC as well, got started in paintball about 2 years ago. Had a spyder and an ion, then a KP pump. The field owner (Jeff) let me play with his mag one day and after that the itch was active. I found a smokin' deal and got me an automag. since then I've monkey'd with the addons and whatnot, figured out that I really should add oil before and after play.
Now I see more and more people with Mags there. Seems the virus is spreading.

ArmyEngineer
07-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Let's face it, we're the best kind of people. :)

I would definitely be down for an AO jersey. I am still kicking myself for missing out on the Sandfreestyle Automag Army run a while back. :'( If anyone can find the template for that, I would be on it in a heartbeat. http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=243446

robander3
07-12-2011, 03:50 PM
I play at ASC as well, got started in paintball about 2 years ago. Had a spyder and an ion, then a KP pump. The field owner (Jeff) let me play with his mag one day and after that the itch was active. I found a smokin' deal and got me an automag. since then I've monkey'd with the addons and whatnot, figured out that I really should add oil before and after play.
Now I see more and more people with Mags there. Seems the virus is spreading.

Ah another ASC guy,
Ya It's always nice seeing ppl with mags there,
(I'm the one with the black Silverbacks jersey on and play with a ule mag (pewter) or warp left ule mag (black), and i'm 6'5)

And here's a link to a company making the jersey still, http://www.animalpaintball.com/cgi-bin/VirtualCatalog/CatalogMgr.pl?cartID=b-7650&SearchField=partnumber&SearchFor=automag&template=Htx/jersey_proshop.htx&hdrFile=ssi-proshop.htx thanks balla!

Nanotech
07-12-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm 20, doing degrees in computer engineering and electrical engineering. Started playing paintball around 17 or 18 with an A5, then discovered Mags compliments of a local guru. Found a deal on a level-10 classic here at the AO, and I've been rocking one ever since. Although, I must admit I'm starting a nanococker build, which might take away some field time from beloved AGD.

Seems a pretty standard story :rolleyes:

OPBN
07-13-2011, 07:49 AM
And here's a link to a company making the jersey still, http://www.animalpaintball.com/cgi-bin/VirtualCatalog/CatalogMgr.pl?cartID=b-7650&SearchField=partnumber&SearchFor=automag&template=Htx/jersey_proshop.htx&hdrFile=ssi-proshop.htx thanks balla!

If you have the patience to look through the gallery, there are several other styles as well.

Flatliner333
07-13-2011, 03:04 PM
I guess I would be with the "Old Timers", I'm 41 now and I started playing in 87'. My first gun was a mail order single shot Splatmaster (it still works) and we played in our back yards.We didn't have any local fields or shops so we got all our gear from APG magazines. Other guns I had before my Mag were a Razorback pump,a Phantom and a VM 68. My 5 man pump team was asked to "practice" with a local semi pro team from our area called the Flatliners after they saw us win a pump tourney in Temple Tx. After getting spanked on a regular basis some of us were asked to join the Flatliners to bring some new younger blood to the team. We all upgraded to Automags or Autocockers after joining the team and I have owned only a Mag ever since...I think that was around 92'. We played CPL and NPPL tourneys from the mid 90's till around 2000 and made a few World Cups in Orlando,Chicago and Las Vegas.We were lucky enough to play along side teams like the All Americans and the Ironmen.
I got out of paintball for about 8 years do to how expensive it was getting and never really new what an EMag was till I started playing again. I have 3 guns now the Splatmaster and 2 Mags that I tinker with more than I use......long live the Automag......

I do have some College education but for the most part I have been in the Non Destructive inspection field as an Industrial Radiographer for the last 20 years.

Justus
07-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Age 30 here. I'm not an engineer, but I probably should have been because I seem to tinker with and modify all kinds of stuff. Instead, though, I'm an attorney. Hey, it pays the bills. Anyway, I started playing paintball a few years back and started out with an A5. Then I was introduced to Mags by a friend of mine that I met first through paintball, and "upgraded" to an X-valved ULT Tac One. That way I get the Mag performance and get to keep my milsim-esque look that I like.

Now I'm busy customizing. It's fun. :D

anthrakz
07-14-2011, 03:51 PM
37 and an comp sci major. Noticed what looked like a shotgun in a NYC hobby shop display case back in the early 90's, turns out it was a P68 stock class paintball gun, and a week later I bought it. Played with it for a summer "outlaw" style in the Bronx. Then looked for something better, back then it was Desert Foxs, Mirages, PMI's, and F1 Illustrators. None of them appealed to me and Mags and cockers were out of my reach. Soon thereafter, I made up my mind and got a pt job to save up for a mag. Finally bought a lvl 5 mag, from some guy who had a shop in his basement behind a bagel factory in Brooklyn. It was sent it in for all the lvl6 and 7 fixes and now resides in my wifes paintball bag. I also bought a minimag which I still have as an all chromed out with autoresponse, now its too pretty to play with and sits on display.

I also did my time with a cocker, custom built for me from now the now defunct Wildside paintball. It was one of the smoothest shooting markers I've ever owned, and despite horror stories with cockers, I've never ever in the 6 years Ive had it, had a problem. A few drops of Mobil 1 ATF1 synthetic in the 3way and trigger plate, a general cleaning and it was good to go.

Had an Emag, a PTP Micromag, and an RT, all of which were sold off. And currently the only mag I still keep in the bag is an Xvalve Pneumag.

Courgar Hunter
07-14-2011, 10:56 PM
Age 30 I started playing in 1991 first gun was a Line SI Bushmaster from there I had a Promaster then I remember it so clear that christmas in 92' I asked for a automag and I got a nintendo (POS) then I got the mag in a stocking stuffer (Very large stocking) It was all over til the Smart Parts Impulse came out and I had one of those still kept my mag and later sold it off for a Shocker 4x4 and I came back to a minimag in 06' after my dad passed away and that year was the best year of paintball ever I feel that he was moving me through the field and pointing out every shot I had.

Then I went to pump play for a few years and now I'm back with a ULE mag w/Intelli frame soon X valve and ULT trigger kit or have it pnue'd out

If it wasn't for my pop being such a loyal AGD supporter I don't think I would have ever known about such a great gun.

rifleman wi
07-15-2011, 07:26 AM
im 25, been playing on and off since i was 16. been in the army for 5 years as a weapons repairman. first started with a Tippmann 98 Custom, for their reliability and durability. moved up to an RT Pro Xvalve, to an Emag and now i have a Minimag Pistol, Custom Tac One, Minimag and an 06 Cyborg. i went with a Cyborg also becasue of their simplicity, durability and consistency. it probably helped alot that i was brought up in the sport at Paintball Sams, where AGD Pride and Tom himself used to play. there were allways mags there and after i fired a few, i fell in love with them. i had an autococker, knew how to time it, but it still failed me numerous times. i love my mags. i also got to play alongside Tom at one of their last scenario games that Paintball Sams had. i would also love another AO jersey, i had one of the original runs, but it was destroyed last year, but i still have the template of it.

Ir0nExpress
07-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Seems like engineers appreciate the effort into designing a simple but working gun, that's what I've come across mostly.

Psychology major...working odd jobs not related to my major. Started in 05, always been sort of a gun whore, buying and selling all sorts of guns, but out of all the guns I've bought, I always knew I'd pick up a mag again. I went through about 6 or 7 of them, I'm hoping to snag one again this time and keep her for good instead of dumping it whenever I'm bored, their quality and simplicity is certainly unbeatable even today.

CasanovaXL
07-16-2011, 09:41 AM
I Also play at ASC, met Rob there my first time playing in like 8 years. I am 26 now and played tournaments all through high school but could never afford the emag i wanted. Got some money together and started building a mag out of boredom, got hooked on them, and now spend most days checking for a tunablade to pop up for it.

Wilko
07-21-2011, 03:58 AM
I'm 41, have a couple of bachelors and a master's degree (macrosociology, think "statistics" :-)), but also finished educations in mechanical engineering, social work and ICT.

I own three tac-ones (two warp left and one vertical feed) and a pneu-tac.

I've only been playing for 3,5 years, but the tac-one was my first buy. The friend converting me to paintball had all kinds of electronic markers that tended to have issues with electronics and were not rugged, which made me think that I could find something better.

Love the reliability and choice of full auto and semi with the RT.

I have converted that friend to the tac-one, as well as another one in our group, both also use the same q-loader setup I use.

need4reebs
07-22-2011, 05:26 AM
34, been playing paintball since 06, and just barely got into Mags this Feburary! since feburary i have owned 20 or so Mags and have narrowed my collection to 11 Mags! i saw a video of a RT classic and was like no batteries? i started playing pump so i wouldnt need any batteries, but i knew why you didnt need a battery for a pump, so i started doing research on the strange to me at the time markers and was like man i gotta shoot one! i had trade for one cause people in AZ are into the Speedballin or tactical play which is kool but not if you want to ask anyone about a AutoMag...so i spent the past few months buying trading selling Mags and they are the only markers ill actually spend money buying! some of my collection is on MCB in the picture thread...but haha i know im not done yet!!! thanks AO for helping A newb learn about the best markers out there and some education about a sport i like 2 play!!!!

one of my favorite sayings on these forums is "Dont Mess With The Old SKool!" :headbang:

james5
07-22-2011, 12:08 PM
42 and started playing in 1989 ish.
Have owned countless mags, and will always have a couple in my arsenal.
After all they work whenever I need them, when other markers need tweeeeeeking I'll be on the field playing.

Olsson
07-23-2011, 04:08 AM
37 years old, started playing 1992 when Paintball was made legal in Sweden.

First marker was a Splatmaster Rapide, followed by a SL68-II and then a Sterling STP to get a serious marker for the recently started national series.

1994 semis were made legal and I everybody who was serious bought either an Autococker or an Automag. Everything else was considered to be sub par. I bought a Micromag in 1995 and was supremely satisfied with it.

I left the competitive arena in 1996 or so, played recreational paintball for some years, and then had a hiatus for 10-12 years. Took it up again early 2009, and was amazed at what had happened during that time.

Initially I played with my Micromag, just a few drops of oil was all it needed after 10 years in the storage. After a while I bought a couple of different markers, among one was a rather old Automag Classic, which became my primary marker.

Among the questions I've gotten from puzzled youngsters are;
"Does that thing actually work?"
"What is it?"
"Did you build that thing yourself?"

Nowadays I've got a G-Force pneuframe and lvl X and an Air America valve on it, but otherwise it looks like it's from 1993 or so, not even power feeded. So most people tend to overlook me completely, since they only see what seems like an inferior marker.

There does seem to be an increase in the interest for both Automags and Autocockers in Sweden lately, due to the fact that a couple of high profile players, such as myself, prefers to play with these kind of markers.

p_bpat
07-23-2011, 07:51 PM
I have been playing for about 7? Years. I started with wal Mart junk, and "upgraded" to a bt 16 tactical. Then to a bt4 banshee, then to all manners of guns. Last year I figured that since I had 4 cockers, I might as well buy a mag.
I was suprised about the simplicity, and what I had been told of the reliability.
At the end of the day however, I must say I'm a cocker guy. (a dangerous thing to say here) I know more about them, and I actually like to go to the field and tune my guns. I'm never satisfied with something that works like it was designed all the time. But I do have 2 mags now. (one cheater ule bodied mag, and 1 classic style mag) and I will shoot them whenever I can.
I'm a mechanic by trade and I'm 25. I tinker on pb guns like a mother******.
Pat.

ricco220273
07-23-2011, 09:29 PM
I am 38
I have been playing since I was 16
My first gum to was a single shot splat master that I got from a target store
While on a trip to the united states
Years later I switched over to tipmmann
I have had many A-5 over the years and swear buy them
Just an all round good marker
I would compare it to a bulldozer
Can't really hurt them and will get the job done
I also have an auto cocker karnivior
Really like that gun
A little finicky to tune but my friend is a wizard with that one
Then my 2 millwright buddies introduced me to mags
I was impressed and eventually switched over to mags
Now I have 3 mags
By the way I am an iron worker

gimp
07-26-2011, 01:12 PM
I saved up and bought my first mag back when mags and cockers were the kings. I'm still hooked on mags. I also went to RPI, and I am an engineer. Is the club still active? We started it when I was there.

I've found that there are pockets of mag users around the country. It's nice to be close to one of those pockets.

robander3
07-27-2011, 06:47 AM
I saved up and bought my first mag back when mags and cockers were the kings. I'm still hooked on mags. I also went to RPI, and I am an engineer. Is the club still active? We started it when I was there.

I've found that there are pockets of mag users around the country. It's nice to be close to one of those pockets.

Thanks for starting the club :cheers:

and ya the club is still here, about 15 regular players, and 4 of us shoot mags too.

OPBN
07-27-2011, 07:21 AM
Seems like the average age of Mag owners/enthusiasts is higher than other brands. At least here.

TK-421
07-27-2011, 07:42 PM

You'd LOVE my home field, from when I lived in Illinois. I lived like 3 miles from Fox Paintball, in Aurora, right next to 88. It's owned by a man called Tim Glavin, better known as Sandman. And yes, he's in the Automag Vid that Tom Kaye did. He was the one who did the speed shooting. While he doesn't have any new mags on his wall, he has been using Automags as rental markers at his field since they opened, 20 years ago, and he's still using the same mags they used when they opened. He's a great guy to talk to, and loves talking about Automags and AGD.

Now, on topic, I'm one of those few people who saw an automag, fell in love, and went out and bought one. I fell in love with my buddy Watcher's warped RT Pro, and picked one up for a good price not long after that. Now Automags are all I've got, even though I've still only got my RT Pro, which I've also warped. However, I have a ULE X-Valve mag in the mail, along with another warp. I also plan on buying a 68 Classic, so I can pump it, and I want to pick up a second RT Pro, which will be warped. The ULE X-Valve will be warped occasionally, but mainly kept as a loaner, to try and get other people interested in Automags.

I love how easy to maintain they are, and how they pretty much never break. And when they do break, I love how easy it is, generally, to fix them. I also love how massively customizable they are. I don't think there's any other marker on the planet that is as customizable today, as the Automag is. If you have the money, you can make your Automag so unique, that you'll never see another one like it, which is what I love about them.

Here's my baby in action, you can see me in the last minute or so of the vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py-gGJlIQ7I

gimp
07-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks for starting the club :cheers:

and ya the club is still here, about 15 regular players, and 4 of us shoot mags too.

I didn't do much to start the club. I just played paintball. I'm glad to see it's still around and there are some mag users.