PDA

View Full Version : PTP micro emags vs regular emags

CyberKhan
08-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Could some please clue me in on the differences good/bad between the PTP micro emags and e regular emags? I thought I read somehwere that they just weren't built as well. From what I have seen they also seem to have a unibody design that does not lend itself to customization or changing the feed tubes (straight vs warp). Most I have seen are custom annoed which also means that you can't customize them. But if they are great guns that need no modification then I will take that into consideration as I am in the market for an Emag. Thanks!

OPBN
08-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Could some please clue me in on the differences good/bad between the PTP micro emags and e regular emags? I thought I read somehwere that they just weren't built as well. From what I have seen they also seem to have a unibody design that does not lend itself to customization or changing the feed tubes (straight vs warp). Most I have seen are custom annoed which also means that you can't customize them. But if they are great guns that need no modification then I will take that into consideration as I am in the market for an Emag. Thanks!
All these are is E-mag lowers combined with a PTP Micro unibody. Depending on the generation of MicroMag, some had right feed powerfeeds, later ones had vertical feeds. The last version was what is called the MM2k9 that was finalized this past spring and PTP is still delivering on the last of them. I have not heard any real complaints about quality of the earlier generations other than some possible issues with fit regarding Level X bolts and possible X valves. There is not as much versatility for feed options in the earlier models, but the MM2k9 has a breech that is changeable to accomodated left/right warp as well as center feed. There have been some substantial delays in the delivery of this latest model and apparently some issues with whether some standard Automag valves will fit without forcing them. I have not seen any complaints regarding X valves fitting.

From my understanding, the earlier models had a press fit sleeve that fit into the bodies which makes it difficult for reanodizing.

CyberKhan
08-05-2011, 02:26 PM
All these are is E-mag lowers combined with a PTP Micro unibody. Depending on the generation of MicroMag, some had right feed powerfeeds, later ones had vertical feeds. The last version was what is called the MM2k9 that was finalized this past spring and PTP is still delivering on the last of them. I have not heard any real complaints about quality of the earlier generations other than some possible issues with fit regarding Level X bolts and possible X valves. There is not as much versatility for feed options in the earlier models, but the MM2k9 has a breech that is changeable to accomodated left/right warp as well as center feed. There have been some substantial delays in the delivery of this latest model and apparently some issues with whether some standard Automag valves will fit without forcing them. I have not seen any complaints regarding X valves fitting.

From my understanding, the earlier models had a press fit sleeve that fit into the bodies which makes it difficult for reanodizing.

Thanks for the info, really helps. Seems most people want about 600 for the micro emags, but for that price I can buy some nice regular emags which I think I would rather have.

my automag
08-05-2011, 04:08 PM
I think they actually really average out to go for about the same price level.

You can customize allot more with a regular E-Mag than an X-Mag or the PTP MM2K9 because of the rail being a separate part to choose from and modify.

I recently just got the PTP MM2K9, and I really think there is a bit of an issue with the breach not having some kind of a reinforced wall surface insert/steel washer where the spring does press against and grinds/mushrooms the breach quite a bit during use. :confused:

There is a couple of other touchy issues I think it has but will have to wait for more use out of it to confirm... :argh:

If you are looking for adjusting the breach angle for warp play or whatever, go for the X-Mag, or the PTP MM2K9, best to toy with in my opinion, just again they are UNIBODY type mags.

mpsd
08-05-2011, 08:16 PM
PTP Micromag 2K9:
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x299/mpsd18/1d085a46.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x299/mpsd18/7d99d0fb.jpg

Customized Ultra ULE e-Mag (Ultra ULE because I've added several Carbon Fiber parts):
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x299/mpsd18/DSC05863.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x299/mpsd18/DSC05864.jpg

:cheers:

OneSelfLost
08-05-2011, 08:42 PM
That Ultra-ULE... WOW!

CyberKhan
08-05-2011, 09:06 PM
That is a sweet looking carbon fiber mag. I see now about the adjustable breech on the 2K9. I guess all the ones I have seen for sale are old style because none of them have a removable breech. They are all unibody with a straight feed tube, usually custom anodized, and while they look great, don't lend themselves as well to warp feed systems.

Frizzle Fry
08-05-2011, 09:52 PM
All these are is E-mag lowers combined with a PTP Micro unibody.

No, Micro Emags were a version of the centerfeed Micromag 2000 that came with a custom milled "fingergroove" frame and custom milled battery pack, as well as a unique sear that accepted traditional pins, and a bolt-on vanity plate that was installed in place of the fore grip and made the marker look more streamlined and "together". It also included a "dust shield" that was sandwiched between the frame and body. These bodies were identical to the Micromag 2000 body, but had a large milled square in place of the milled Armson Swirl logo and lettering (some later body kits were released with the milled square rather than the logo, and vice versa).

Only the Micromag 2k9 will accept a standard Emag frame setup - all other bodies require a modified sear assembly. Many MicroEmags are "kitted" guns that weren't originally electros, and many Micro 2000s started their lives with Emag lowers. I've owned around 50 Micros (probably more at this point) and the only non-2000 model I encountered with Emag lowers was highly modified. Of all of those markers, none of the Micro2000s had an issue with the level 10 - it's really only Gen2 and Gen3 that had those issues.

As performance goes, I've found that it's better than a steel-bodied Emag if only because the delrin finger detent is superior to the nubbins and springs on twistlock barrels, and the 'cocker threading makes barrel matching more convenient. It's a little lighter but otherwise it's just about the same electronics and valve. People don't buy Micromags for performance; they buy them because they're compact, fun, and unique - like a private label Angel compared to a stock model. What makes a Karta body "better" than a ULE? About $300 and the beauty/wow factor.

CyberKhan
08-06-2011, 05:54 PM
As performance goes, I've found that it's better than a steel-bodied Emag if only because the delrin finger detent is superior to the nubbins and springs on twistlock barrels, and the 'cocker threading makes barrel matching more convenient. It's a little lighter but otherwise it's just about the same electronics and valve. People don't buy Micromags for performance; they buy them because they're compact, fun, and unique - like a private label Angel compared to a stock model. What makes a Karta body "better" than a ULE? About $300 and the beauty/wow factor.

so the normal emag bodies and the xmags are still the twist lock barrels? I thought everything went threaded from emag on up.

maniacmechanic
08-06-2011, 08:32 PM
I think we on this forum have proven anything can be customized
X Mags are cocker threaded
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m156/maniacmechanic59/markers/CamoX004.jpg

Frizzle Fry
08-06-2011, 10:18 PM
so the normal emag bodies and the xmags are still the twist lock barrels? I thought everything went threaded from emag on up.

The original Emags were stainless steel bodies with powerfeeds or centerfeeds that took twistlock barrels and shipped with Emag branded SS/AL valves. As I recall the Micro Emag (produced by PTP) was the first factory 'cocker threaded Emag. SFL Emags (produced by BBT) were also 'cocker threaded. The X Mag (both styles produced by AGD) was 'cocker threaded as well.

Later in the Emag run you were able to order ULE emags. The RTP-length rail and the sleeved area of the ULE body (after the threading) make the ULE Emag longer than the Micro and make the weight difference negligible without a valve installed.

CyberKhan
08-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Cool, thanks for all this info. Other than personal preference on looks, is there any benefit to buying an xmag over a ptp Emag then? The xmags that are for sale are about 1000 dollars while the ptp emags are 500-600 usually custom milled and annoed. Right now I am having a hard time justifying the extra expense for just looks. Thanks.

BigEvil
08-07-2011, 07:24 AM
A standard emag will work right :mad:

Frizzle Fry
08-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Right now I am having a hard time justifying the extra expense for just looks. Thanks.

Again, it's more than just "looks". There are inherent differences in balance, feel, and compatibility as well as options for setup. It depends on your preferences as to whether you like a 'cocker threaded or twistlock barrel, a lighter or heavier gun, and whether you have need for a warp/q-loader setup as well as a centerfeed setup and how frequently/conveniently you'd like to be able to swap them.

BigEvil is right, a bone stock classic Emag works perfectly fine, but believe me when I say the extra expense isn't "for just looks".

sjrtk
08-07-2011, 09:00 PM
A standard emag will work right :mad:

Just ask the Texans. There were alot of Emags pounding them in the dirt.

But as long as you like the marker there is no difference between performance with a Xmag, "normal" Emag (with a ULE), or a Micro Emag. It all depends on your budget and tast.

My Emag is a custom body on a custom rail (last of its kind :D btw Mongoose has a pic of it going on his site) on a set of lowers. So it is just as unique as an X or Micro at this point, and I was able to space out the cost while ending up with what I wanted.

AutoFiend
08-09-2011, 08:17 PM
one of the reasons I got into the mag hysteria was simply for the endless options relating to customization. Simply looking around the forum, nobody's mag looks the same. Start out with a ULE body emag with standard rail, maybe beta 1.8 lowers, maybe an x valve (pay about 550 to 650 depending on condition) then customize. Customize piece by piece until you have a mag that's completely yours. Like someone stated earlier in this thread, PTPs are restricting and boring in the grand scheme of things because you just cant do much with it except maybe an ano.

CyberKhan
08-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Don't say they are boring.... I'm about to buy 2 of them buzz I can't find any decent regular emags.