PDA

View Full Version : Hardware ( screws & nuts )

maniacmechanic
08-16-2011, 06:39 PM
I'm thinking about opening " Hank's Hardware " and i'm lookin to gauge interest before I throw away a bunch of change
It would be the bolts , screws , nuts & setscrews we use every day & are allways tryin to find when building markers

I guess what i'm askin is wether you would rather buy from a forum member or home depot
The stainless product is all made in the USA , not sure where the black is coming from , there will NOT be any chinese hardware
Sizes from #4/40 up
Let me know what ya think
Thanks

mag79
08-16-2011, 07:18 PM
If mcmastercarr wasn't down the road I would by from an AO member. You can black colored hardware from them.

behemoth
08-16-2011, 08:04 PM
For a quick fix, I have an ACE with a nice big hillman fastener aisle.

For saving cash and/or specialty items, its hard to beat mcmcaster.

If you're doing a local service, it might work out. But, unless your prices can undercut mcmcaster, or you can advertise quite well, you wont give anyone any reason to shop with you vs. someone like mcmaster.

Just my theory.

BigEvil
08-16-2011, 08:33 PM
There are a lot of people who would buy common fasteners in small quantities. I bet there are a lot of people who would need bottom line or grip screws and not want to buy them in boxes of 100. I guess it would be more up to you if shipping 2 or 4 screws at a time would be worth your hassle.

sjrtk
08-16-2011, 08:54 PM
There are a lot of people who would buy common fasteners in small quantities. I bet there are a lot of people who would need bottom line or grip screws and not want to buy them in boxes of 100. I guess it would be more up to you if shipping 2 or 4 screws at a time would be worth your hassle.

Case and point 1/4x20 low head cap screws are available in just about every length from Fastenal local to me but i have to order a 100 ct box when I need 4. They also stock just about every other fastener I need though 10 min away from the house.

I just don't think it would be a worth while investment of your time unless you have alot of people looking for parts from you.

Ratt
08-16-2011, 08:57 PM
I don't see me needing any kind of these screws/nuts/bolts anytime soon, but if I did, I would rather buy from an AO member than anyone else, especially if the stuff isn't from China.