PDA

View Full Version : Should we be able to vote to ban other members?

nak81783
02-14-2002, 09:19 PM
First off, I'd like to say that this forum has been a big help to me on many occasion. It covers just about everything for my Mag, and has lots of general paintball info.

Unfortunately, there are those out there who refuse to let a good thing go untarnished. There are certain members who post things that insult, criticize, or are just plain dumb. The moderators do a great job from the things I've seen at keeping the rules enforced. However, there are still some people that slip by somehow and get their dumb posts on the forum.

I'd like to know what everyone thinks. Should AO members be able to vote to ban other members? I have thoughts that say this is a good idea and a bad idea. I just want to know what everyone else thinks and why.

Thanks for your time,
Nathan

nutz
02-14-2002, 09:30 PM
this is the moderators job.... if u would really like to be a part of getting someone banned us the "report this post" feature at the bottom of the bad post and a mod will check it out... plus mods are usually reading all the postes anyways

Cha0tic
02-14-2002, 09:46 PM
AO is a friendly forum. it is also run by AGD. we are not the ones who decide who can be here and who cannot. it is all up to TOM, Webby, and the moderators. also, there really aren't any members that cause trouble. when we get one, they are usually taken care of fairly quickly.

FooTemps
02-14-2002, 09:46 PM
If we had voteban then maybe 1000 bad cocker, angel, spyder, etc owners could come and ban all of ao! I'm talking about those idiot players who think they're gun is the best, not those sensible players that are smart enough to not be cocky.

OldSchoolMag
02-14-2002, 10:40 PM
It's not our job.

And it gets done good as it is.

OSM

Threewheeler
02-14-2002, 11:21 PM
The forum wouldn't let me vote... But I have to say that this is not a democracy... This forum is owned and operated by AGD. It's not our say as to who posts and doesn't post.

Besides, does anyone have any trouble with the way things are run now?

Three

Phil
02-14-2002, 11:45 PM
Everytime person x gets mad at person y there will be votes to ban one or the other resulting in all kinds of negative vibes. These boards are policed by several people with far too much time on their hands. Not to mention the large number of upstanding regular members who put out small fires from time to time. It is always your perogative to IGNORE people who type stuff you find annoying.

TheTramp
02-14-2002, 11:54 PM
I hate being a snob but.....the last thing I think we should do is let people who have been here only a few months deside who gets a say here! Where do you get off desiding who to ban?

The mods here are doing a great job and how a'bout you let them do their job and you can go on reading the threads. They'll ban anyone who needs it.

MajorDamage
02-15-2002, 12:12 AM
No, I think the mods do a great job, and there arnt really any people who are "ban-worthy" on here :). I mean, there has been like 5 people who have actually been banned, or who have needed to be banned. How ofton do you see anyone flaming someone? Hardly ever. I thinks the mods can take care of it ;)

ENDO!

manike
02-15-2002, 03:35 AM
Let's just have it for a day and see what happens :D

I think there would be some carnage! LMAO

manike

shartley
02-15-2002, 05:55 AM
I say that that would cause more problems than not liking someone.. Why? Because then AO would be a big popularity contest, and nothing more. It would also be broken up into factions and that can only lead to further problems.

AO has RULES, and the RULES dictate when and IF a person gets banned.. PERIOD. Heck, if you can have Member Votes to ban another member, why not for simple Moderating as well? Nope, nope, nope… there are reasons why things are the way they are.

I think there would be some carnage! LMAO
LOL That brings to mind my thoughts on “gun control”….. :D:D:D

BEEFYSAUSAGE
02-15-2002, 06:15 AM
ok just so you all know i think the moderators are the absalute best,nicest,hardworking and most decent people i have ever had the pleasure to post on the same forum as..
oh yes and there very cool too....why change what isnt broken!!!!!
BEEFY.
oh yes us Ausies can suck up when we want to!..

Shaft
02-15-2002, 07:28 AM
Essentially we do have a vote. Tom is always talking about how important we are to him. If a member was banned and we put up enough fuss to bring them back - I'm sure they would listen.

Additude
02-15-2002, 07:29 AM
Sorry nak81783,

That's not our job here. We are guests and nothing more.

There are also moderators who monitor posts and also a way to report unwarranted posts to the moderators.

That's everything we need to be here.
:)

nak81783
02-15-2002, 08:12 AM
People, I never said it was something that should be done. I was just asking a question. I'm sorry if I offended people. Even though, I kinda knew it was gonna happen. I just wanted to know what people think. Go back to my original post. I think the mods are doing a great job too, and I said that there are good and bad ideas that go along with this idea.
I never said I should be the one to decide who gets to stay, that is far from what I meant. I know I haven't been here long, and I just wanted to get some input on the subject.
I realized the stupidity of this post as soon as the one member mentioned the "report this post" option. I totally forgot about that, and that was basically what I was trying to accomplish. My bad, and I apologize for any hard feelings I may be causing.

Sorry,
Nathan

P.S. There are a handful of people voting yes, but no one is saying why. Please let me hear your ideas. I overlooked a lot of the negative reasons that were brought to my attention. I would like to know some of the positive ideas that I probably am overlooking as well.

cphilip
02-15-2002, 09:08 AM
No problem nak81783. I think its an interesting question. Of course you are gettting sort of the response I suspected.

Relax. Breath my pasty friend! :D

Additude
02-15-2002, 09:32 AM
nak81783,

I didn't take your post or your question offensively. I took it for what you said, just a question.

I only responded with what I felt was an answer with a reason.

No offense taken and I don't really think anyone else took offense to it either.

You didn't do anything wrong.

:)

slayer
02-15-2002, 09:53 AM
an interesting idea, and I understand where you are coming from but I think it is best to allow a moderator to initiate a ban. I don't quite think it would turn into a popularity contest (although who knows...maybe I would be the first to get voted out if that were the case). Also, is shartley a moderator or not?

cphilip
02-15-2002, 10:05 AM
Shartley is not a Moderator. He did fill in as Temp Mod for a week at my request when all the others were at a tourney. I was Temp Administrator. So did Hitmanng. They both did a splendid job by the way.

I believe he is a Moderator on another PB site?

shartley
02-15-2002, 10:05 AM
Also, is shartley a moderator or not?
LOL No, I am not a Moderator.

I was a Temp-Moderator for a few weeks back this last summer/fall because I was asked to help out. I also ran Tom’s biggest contests for him because I was asked. And I also help out where and when I can… but I am not a Moderator.

I also don’t claim to BE a Moderator. LOL But thank you for thinking so. I am just part of the fabric that makes AO what it is. Am I a string? Am I a Moderator? No…… I’m a frayed knot. ;)

(added.... Phil, that WEEK ended up being just over 2 weeks. LOL And yes, I Moderate "2" other Paintball Forums currently. :D)

cphilip
02-15-2002, 10:09 AM
Felt like a month! :(

I stand corrected then...

shartley
02-15-2002, 10:12 AM
LOL And the only reason I know this, is that my Wife reminded me the WHOLE time (so don't feel bad Phil, it WAS suppose to be just a week :D)... LOL Phil, you know what I am talking about... LOL

davej946
02-15-2002, 10:29 AM
I'm getting in on this one late, but...

I don't think AO should allow members to vote to ban other members, however...

I DO think that the mods should post the IP's of the members they ban! :D

Later,

cphilip
02-15-2002, 10:36 AM
Well no we are not going to do that...we do keep a list though. And everyone that is banned is notified. Some are just temporary for a few days.

We have had to premanently ban about 12 or so IP's. Some of those may be the same person on a different computer. Thats not many realy. Mostly good folks come here. And we try and talk you into retracting or conforming before we get hard on anyone. Very few of them are obvious from the get go.

kickass68mag
02-15-2002, 03:13 PM
NO

personman
02-15-2002, 05:47 PM
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no! I would be banned in a WITE second cause Im so annoying :D

Webmaster
02-18-2002, 08:55 AM
For the record - users will never be able to "vote" someone off the forum. We have guidelines and rules and we try to enforce them to the best of our abilities. Even us as moderators dont get along with everyone on the forum very well - but it isn't "our" forum, its "everyones" forum. If we allowed the sort of "mob rule" you propose, the forum would fragment into cliches (sp) resulting in alot of politics. We would have people choosing sides on matters, ane eventually we would have people splinter off and create an "AO Sucks" forum of some sort.

So - if you someone annoys you or bothers you - just ignore them. There are people on the forum who dont contribute as much as others or act a little goofy - but its all part of having a big group of people in one place.

If you see people violating rules - feel free to report them to me or the mods.

thanks

ben_JD
02-18-2002, 10:20 AM
I say, sure. Vote to your heart's content. Vote twice, thrice, as many times as you choose....

it just won't mean anything.

danEboy
02-18-2002, 10:49 AM
I won't let you vote me off the island :p

FutureMagOwner
02-18-2002, 07:08 PM
all i have to say is the moderators seem to have kept this place clean unlike the tippmann forum where everyone gets flamed for saying one thing and same with kingman except at kingman they dont care unless if its a guy saying tippmanns rule

MajorDamage
02-19-2002, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Webmaster
There are people on the forum who dont contribute as much as others or act a little goofy
I think the latter was directed at me, lol :D:D:D

ENDO!