PDA

View Full Version : How do I install an Emag sear lock (safety)?

Justus
08-30-2011, 09:31 PM
I got a set of Emag lowers without the safety/sear lock. I ordered a sear lock, a safety spring metal frame, and a safety ball from Tuna and just got them in today. (Thanks Tuna!)

How do I install this thing? What I've tried so far, based on the exploded view of the lowers on AGD, is to put the spring down in the tiny hole, followed by the ball. Then I pressed the ball into the spring, into the hole, and slipped the safety over top in the perpendicular hole.

It clicked in, and held. It was a TIGHT fit - it's like the ball didn't want to give, and the safety was difficult to turn on and off. Is it supposed to be that way, at least until the spring gets broken in? Or did I install it wrong?

Frizzle Fry
08-30-2011, 11:55 PM
I got a set of Emag lowers without the safety/sear lock. I ordered a sear lock, a safety spring metal frame, and a safety ball from Tuna and just got them in today. (Thanks Tuna!)

How do I install this thing? What I've tried so far, based on the exploded view of the lowers on AGD, is to put the spring down in the tiny hole, followed by the ball. Then I pressed the ball into the spring, into the hole, and slipped the safety over top in the perpendicular hole.

It clicked in, and held. It was a TIGHT fit - it's like the ball didn't want to give, and the safety was difficult to turn on and off. Is it supposed to be that way, at least until the spring gets broken in? Or did I install it wrong?

Many just.. didn't work right. At least that's what I've found.

Justus
08-31-2011, 01:32 AM
Alright, some good news and some embarrassing news...

Apparently what I described is the correct way to install the spring/bearing/sear lock, because it does work. After clicking it on and off a few times, it loosened up and feels normal-but-new (still a little stiff, but not more than expected).

That was the good news. The embarrassing news is that I just now found out that if you turn your selector switch all the way toward the grip, it also acts as a trigger lock safety. I thought it was E-mode or Mech mode only, and if you turned the switch too far to one side it might mess it up or something. I played last weekend with the battery plug/E-mode combo as my safety, with an extra measure of cutting the air on my remote line. It worked, but was a hassle. I wish I had known this a few days ago, lol.

athomas
08-31-2011, 09:15 AM
I just now found out that if you turn your selector switch all the way toward the grip, it also acts as a trigger lock safety.It works like this on some emags depending on your trigger setup. When I broke my emag safety, I actually configured my selector to provide that feature so that I had some measure of safety protection.

With the safety installed, the problem you will run into is that the spring will rust and dirt will get in it. This will gum up the safety. Combine this with the sharp edge on the safety sear lock pin and it won't want to slide back and forth easily. If it sticks, it can be hard to move, which is why a lot of emags don't have them installed anymore. Take the safety lock out and lightly file the edge where the ball slides in and out of the groove. By taking the edge off, the ball will not get caught and the safety selector will be easier to manipulate in the future.