PDA

View Full Version : SEAR-iously

stimpysan
09-29-2011, 01:50 PM
I've been messing around for the better part of the day and have given up. Are classic sears the same as an RT sear without the bushing?

I have a bunch of extra classic sears and bought some bushings so they would fit an RT Pro rail. They fit perfectly. The only problem is when you air it up it's like an auto response trigger. Fires on the pull and release. I don't have an RT sear to compare it to so I have swapped out valves from known good guns and the same thing happens.

I started with a Retro valve with a .750 on/off pin then went to a classic. I know the RT Pro valve is supposed to have a .765 pin. I also know I have put x-valves and other RT valves on these rails with an RT sear and they worked fine. Am I missing something here or do I just need the RT sear? Any help would be great. Thanks

sjrtk
09-29-2011, 07:07 PM
As far as I know they are not interchangeable. Regaurdless of weather or not you use a bushing in the classic sear. But some oe wo has measured everypart of them would know better. What does the very tip of the sear catch look like? If it is rounded over at all that may cause you problem.

stimpysan
09-29-2011, 07:23 PM
As far as I know they are not interchangeable. Regaurdless of weather or not you use a bushing in the classic sear. But some oe wo has measured everypart of them would know better. What does the very tip of the sear catch look like? If it is rounded over at all that may cause you problem.

I tried 2 brand new classic sears. I guess I'll just get another RT sear and answer my own question.

athomas
09-29-2011, 08:24 PM
The outline of the retro sear and the classic sear have the same shape. The holes are a different size where the sear axle pin goes through. You can shave the bushings down on a retro sear and drill out the hole and it will work fine in a classic rail. If you could find/make a set of bushings for the classic sear, it would work in a retro rail as well. With the bushing in the the classic sear, you need to fit a bushing into the hole and then drill it out the correct size for the axle pin. Then you need to use additional spacers on the bushings on each side of the sear to keep the sear centered in the rail.

The retro valve takes a 0.750" pin, which is the same as the classic. Don't worry about using a 0.765" pin, even if you have an old original RT Pro valve.

stimpysan
09-29-2011, 09:07 PM
The outline of the retro sear and the classic sear have the same shape. The holes are a different size where the sear axle pin goes through. You can shave the bushings down on a retro sear and drill out the hole and it will work fine in a classic rail. If you could find/make a set of bushings for the classic sear, it would work in a retro rail as well. With the bushing in the the classic sear, you need to fit a bushing into the hole and then drill it out the correct size for the axle pin. Then you need to use additional spacers on the bushings on each side of the sear to keep the sear centered in the rail.

The retro valve takes a 0.750" pin, which is the same as the classic. Don't worry about using a 0.765" pin, even if you have an old original RT Pro valve.

I ordered bushings that are .125 inside diameter, .188 outside and ,250 wide. They fit perfectly. There is no play what so ever. A little spot of solder from the sear to bushing and it's centered perfectly.

athomas
09-30-2011, 05:53 AM
You should be fine then. Make sure your rail bushing isn't missing or that one of the two top on-off oring isn't missing. When changing on-off assemblies around on different valves, sometimes the additional larger outer top oring gets left out since it isn't used on the older retro valves.

stimpysan
10-04-2011, 02:01 PM
I took an RT sear out of a gun I had on the wall that I forgot I had. It works fine now. The classic and RT sear are not the same. If you put the pin through both of them there is a noticably difference. Solved my own problem. Thanks everyone

athomas
10-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Except for the bushing, the two sears are identical in their operational shape and their pivot points. The classic sear has a larger hole without a bushing and uses a larger axle pin. The retro sear has a brass bushing with a smaller hole for a smaller axle pin.

georgeyew
10-07-2011, 11:14 AM
But look at it this way, you just found a cheap way to build a response trigger :headbang: