PDA

View Full Version : trigger guard replacements

GoatBoy
10-11-2011, 01:53 AM
I'm thinking about putting one of those double triggers on a classic automag grip (Intelliframe is a wee bit on heavy side), which means cutting the trigger guard off. However, I still kind of want a trigger guard on there. Has anyone ever fashioned a replacement double trigger guard? I would think you could make one out of aluminum and attach it via the grip frame screw; possibly the only caveat is the twist lock pin is kind of in the way.

Anyone ever done this?

Has anyone ever tried shortening the twist lock pin? That thing's way longer than it needs to be and is really what's complicating making a replacement trigger guard.

redlaser666
10-11-2011, 03:53 AM
I'm thinking about putting one of those double triggers on a classic automag grip (Intelliframe is a wee bit on heavy side), which means cutting the trigger guard off. However, I still kind of want a trigger guard on there. Has anyone ever fashioned a replacement double trigger guard? I would think you could make one out of aluminum and attach it via the grip frame screw; possibly the only caveat is the twist lock pin is kind of in the way.

Anyone ever done this?

Has anyone ever tried shortening the twist lock pin? That thing's way longer than it needs to be and is really what's complicating making a replacement trigger guard.

I have seen someone use an aluminium rod to make one. It was treaded on one end (the grip side) and if you leave enough overhang on the trigger part you can just insert the other end in the hole just under the twistlock pin.

2BAD4U
10-11-2011, 09:22 AM

Anyone ever done this?

The guard is there 4 A reason. with out A trigger guard, your marker is sensitive 2 fireing accidentally...

Maghog
10-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Simple enough. I used to do it a lot back in the days when double triggers were becoming a fad. Simply use the front mounting screw as a holder for your guard. You just need to get a longer screw to compensate.
Dan@Triggernomics

Justus
10-11-2011, 12:47 PM
If you're going to do this, please simply trade for or buy a CF frame with the guard already cut. The uncut CF frames are a lot more desirable.

GoatBoy
10-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Simple enough. I used to do it a lot back in the days when double triggers were becoming a fad. Simply use the front mounting screw as a holder for your guard. You just need to get a longer screw to compensate.
Dan@Triggernomics

You're probably right; I may be over complicating things. I'm just afraid in that situation the extended screw will get in the way of the trigger.

Justus: fair enough, Ill try to swap for a cut one; unfortunately those usually are attached to whole gun packages.

Justus
10-11-2011, 02:28 PM
http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=258672

Last pic in the first post has two for sale @ $10 each. That's a good price for a cut frame, IMO. Might even be able to keep your uncut frame to make sure you like the double. ;)

GoatBoy
10-11-2011, 04:04 PM
http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=258672

Last pic in the first post has two for sale @ $10 each. That's a good price for a cut frame, IMO. Might even be able to keep your uncut frame to make sure you like the double. ;)

Oh Hell... one stop shopping. I forgot to check that thread. Thanks!

C_losjoker
10-12-2011, 01:12 AM
one of the fields i played at, would not let you play if your marker did not have a trigger guard. i think i have two frames with cut trigger guards, done by someone else. i have looked at those frames, and i think there is enough room on both nubs where the guard use to be. you could drill and tap for a small screw, then shape a new guard with space for the double trigger and attach at the same points.

robertsr1811
10-12-2011, 08:17 AM
I've done it a couple ways myself.

I did one with a simple rod, and I threaded it INTO the barrel pin assembly, using the rod instead of using the worm screw to adjust the barrel pin spring pressure. Worked fine for literally years before I changed the configuration of the gun.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/robertsr1811/rainbow.jpg

This is the only remaining picture I have of it in that setup. It's the black and gold mag in the 9:00 position. The rod was bent in slightly at the bottom and tapered to a smooth conical profile. It kept every field that required a trigger guard happy, and that was really all it was there for.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/robertsr1811/100_0559-1.jpg

Here is one with an aluminum trigger guard that is secured with the body screw. I ground down the mounting point flat enough that you didn't need to use a non-standard screw. The grip-side end I machined into a point that rests securely in the meat of the rubber grips. This one was really comfy.

OPBN
10-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Not meaning to threadjack, but Robert, what is the marker in the 6 o'clock position?

GoatBoy
10-12-2011, 09:59 AM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/robertsr1811/100_0559-1.jpg

Here is one with an aluminum trigger guard that is secured with the body screw. I ground down the mounting point flat enough that you didn't need to use a non-standard screw. The grip-side end I machined into a point that rests securely in the meat of the rubber grips. This one was really comfy.

That's close to what I had in mind. Looks like it's more doable than I thought, thanks!

Not meaning to threadjack, but Robert, what is the marker in the 6 o'clock position?

I'm guessing it's an ICD Desert Fox

SocialD
10-12-2011, 11:51 AM
I drilled and tapped a hole into the front of the trigger frames and drilled another hole into the grip. I bent a piece of aluminum rod and bolted it to the front of the trigger frame and just pressed it into the front of the grip. I have used it like that for years without any problems.

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp359/Dschlossmann/RT%20Classic/IMG_5274.jpg

C_losjoker
10-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Roberts I really hate you sometimes. Love that blue cocker and the mag.

SteelSoul
10-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Roberts
I see you add a reg to you Desert Fox.
That is one of the projects I have been tinkering on for a while
Send me a PM I would love to pick your brain about that...

robertsr1811
10-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Yeah, that's a custom Desert Fox. I gutted the reg on the back and ran it off the Bob Long reg up front. Worked just peachy keen and had a HUGE air chamber behind the bolt that way so shootdown was just not a problem at all. The only problem I ever had with it was that the barrel had a habit of unscrewing under heavy fire. It's gone to Florida now.

The blue cocker is sadly in other hands as well. I had a custom shroud for it and everything.

That mag has been through a lot. It looks like this now...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/robertsr1811/IMG00236-20110617-00461.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/robertsr1811/IMG00235-20110617-00451.jpg

But to drag myself back on topic, The aluminum guard on the green gun was one of the easiest pieces I've ever done. It's aluminum flat bar stock from Lowes, bent with a torch and a vice, and shaped at the screw end and the pointy end with a grinder. All told, about 15 minutes of fiddling with it, and a spray of Duracoat and it turned out looking really nice. The customer was super happy with it as well as the double trigger conversion. The intelliframe trigger in that carbon frame worked really well.

GoatBoy
10-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Warning: hilariously crude mockup follows.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IQ-P-09meRI/TpjJ_glt81I/AAAAAAAAEwM/fu4Aja00Fig/s320/IMGP3262.JPG

I very carefully carved a mockup out of some Depron (foam) I had laying around the house just to get a feel for things. Clearly could use some modifications; if nothing else, I'd raise the bottom by about 5mm.

Anyways, while the twist lock post does in fact stick out too far on a typical cut frame, there's nothing preventing you from gluing sort of a facade on the sides of the grip frame around the twist lock area. Or if not glued, it just comes out wide around the current grip frame, then wraps back down so that the grip frame screw goes through it. So I think that attachment point will be fine.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a cutting standard for CF frames, so you get all kinds of shapes on the back end, although nobody usually cut *behind* the rubber grip. So I think the way to go is to cut a section out of the rubber grip near where your middle finger would have been and attach to the CF frame back there, then fill in the rest of the gaps.

I really like these CF frames; it's too bad AGD never saw fit to make them double trigger themselves.