PDA

View Full Version : Would this blow up my board?

sQuidvision
10-13-2011, 08:31 PM
So i have an egomag that i am building a box feed for. I am wondering if i can use the trigger microswitch to activate the halo. I want to take the halo board out of the picture so the idea would be running the battery pack (~3v) through the microswitch.

Thanks!

athomas
10-13-2011, 09:10 PM
You need to determine what voltage is available across the switch now. The circuit that you switch using the trigger switch needs to be the same voltage value. If it is higher than the trigger circuit on the ego board, then it will source current to the ego board. If it is less than the ego board, then the ego board will think that it is a permanent trigger activation.

Spider-TW
10-14-2011, 10:28 AM
I think I would rather put an opto isolator across the output to the solenoid and send it that way.

athomas
10-14-2011, 01:04 PM
An opto-isolator would be a great way to do it, but even a simple low current opamp or transistor type switch would work fine as long as it is connected properly. The down side of opto-isolators, is that they are not as energy efficient.

sQuidvision
10-14-2011, 10:42 PM
I am unfamiliar with Opto-Isolators... i will have to read up. In the mean time here is a pic of my original plan...
http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b461/sQuid-Vision/image001.jpg

athomas
10-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Without something to control the duration of the pulse, your setup won't work. The Halo also works on 9 volts, so with your switch open in the ready position, you would be supplying 9V to your trigger input circuit on the ego board. This can fry most microprocessor circuits. They are very particular when it comes to voltages supplied at the I/O. Also, the amount of time that most triggers are activated for when firing, may not be long enough to get the motor spinning, depending on your trigger finger operation. Without a pulse circuit at the motor, you can't adjust that time to be consistent. Too much time and you crush the balls, not enough and you miss-feed.

You could easily design and build a very inexpensive adjustable pulse circuit to control your halo motor.

p8ntbal4me
10-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Your better off using an online DOP-223 or SOT type MOSFET which would do the job you want while keeping the ego board circuit separate from the halo like everyone has mentioned.

But like said before, you have no way of controlling duration of the feed on the loader. With that setup.
You need another circuit with resistor delays like the warp feed or you need a hopper board with controller software.

If not, you will have an inadequate ball stack when you have a high rate of fire.