PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing Rubber

pbjunky99
10-24-2011, 02:55 PM
I have a bike grip and I and to change the color of the rubber grip from black to red. Has anyone tried this using rite dye or and other type of dye? I realy want t to be a bold red to match the othe small red parts on the marker.

athomas
10-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Since black is a combination of all colors, in order to dye a black item, you need to bleach the black out of it first. The amount of lightening you can do is dependent on the penetration of the bleach into the rubber. If it can't penetrate very far, then the best you will do is a dark grey, it it touches it at all.

pbjunky99
10-24-2011, 08:36 PM
Since black is a combination of all colors, in order to dye a black item, you need to bleach the black out of it first. The amount of lightening you can do is dependent on the penetration of the bleach into the rubber. If it can't penetrate very far, then the best you will do is a dark grey, it it touches it at all.

so soak it in a bleach/ water mix then go through the dyeing process?

audioSLAVE
10-24-2011, 08:51 PM
You're probably better off trying to track down one that is already red and going from there. You can either try dying a red one even more red or if the metal part of the grip isn't already annoed red you can put some sort of red tape on the metal base and you will see it through the transparent red grip. There's a chance it may look pinkish though.
Here's a pic of a red one Fatalis sold recently.
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp346/GotSmilodon/DSC00797.jpg

pbjunky99
10-24-2011, 10:00 PM
I have thought about tring to find a one to buy but finding just the rubber part alone my be a problem(dont know i havnt looked yet). If anyone knows or has one for sell let me know.

audioSLAVE
10-24-2011, 10:07 PM
I have thought about tring to find a one to buy but finding just the rubber part alone my be a problem(dont know i havnt looked yet). If anyone knows or has one for sell let me know.
I believe I have seen one at a shop near where I live, it was either red or blue. I think they were asking between $20-$22 for it, but it was the complete grip not just the rubber part. It looked like the one in the pic I posted. If you're interested I'd be willing to do the leg work.

athomas
10-25-2011, 04:32 AM
Red tape under a red rubber grip will probably yield your deepest red color.

Ando
10-25-2011, 09:07 AM
If I'm not mistaken, bleach will deteriorate rubber. Once it dries out, it will crumble. If left in bleach too long it will turn into a soft mush. I also believe that's what they use/use to use to make tires sticky at drag races when they do burn outs.