PDA

View Full Version : Back Bottle

BEEFYDAN
11-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Anyone out there have a good or somewhat easy procedure for properly drilling the holes for a back bottle without using a drill press?

athomas
11-13-2011, 05:54 PM
What rail are you drilling? Emag/RT rails don't go well with back bottle arrangements. Automag rails do.

BEEFYDAN
11-13-2011, 07:35 PM
What rail are you drilling? Emag/RT rails don't go well with back bottle arrangements. Automag rails do.

It will be a stock automag rail. I know there is one indexing mark tapped into the topside of the rail already, mainly I was wanting to see how someone else did it before i try it on my own.

DevilMan
11-13-2011, 09:24 PM
I have a few rails that are already drilled... if you wanna swap I think we could work something out...

DM

athomas
11-14-2011, 05:43 AM
If the indexing mark is near full depth, then all you need to do is knock it out with a punch. If you are afraid of rough edges drill it out using a drill bit that is the same size as the index hole that is there now.

DevilMan
11-14-2011, 11:21 AM
The marks aren't full depth.. they are only maybe a 1/16" deep. They are only little small punch marks. On the front they are almost all the way through, but on the back that are just dimples. at least on all of mine like that.

DM

BEEFYDAN
11-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Yeah the front hole for the ASA just needs to be punched out, but the dimples in the back need to be drilled. Anyways, as an update, I came across a drill press I can use, so I'll just do it that way.

DevilMan
11-17-2011, 01:14 PM
To do it proper you'll need a flat end mill bit. To put the step into the hole. To drill all the way through a standard drill will work, but to put the step in to where you can use the flat style bolts you'll need a mill bit. If you use a regular drill bit you'll have to go way deep or end up using an countersunk style bolt.

DM

athomas
11-17-2011, 03:51 PM
I would suggest the regular drill bit followed by a counter sink bit. Then use a countersunk style head. That way, you can use easy to find bits that are available at the local hardware store.

BEEFYDAN
12-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Cool thanxs for the tips guys