PDA

View Full Version : Very slow hissing in x-valve

nathanjones008
12-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Good day team. I played a few weeks ago and my mag is was working spot on, no leaks no resetting/bolt stick issues ( i changed the carrier) But today when i gassed it up to test out did not hear anything. Then i put my ear near the chamber and i hear an ever so quiet hiss. I dont think its a level x carrier.

thanks team :)

Justus
12-03-2011, 07:42 PM
I know you say it's not the carrier, but double check it. Pull and hold the trigger. If the slow, quiet hiss stops, then it's something in the powertube. Chances are your carrier is just slightly large, or your carrier o-ring has finally broken in a bit. As the carrier o-rings break in, you'll need to switch out to a smaller carrier to stop the LX from leaking.

athomas
12-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Make sure all the shims are removed from the powertube.

Why did you change the carrier before? Was there a previous issue?

nathanjones008
12-03-2011, 10:20 PM
yes i had to change it out because after several shots the bolt would not reset. so i changed carrier size. This slow subtle hissing sound could have been going the whole time after i changed the carrier the first time

why remove shims?

Note: this is a brand new valve has only been through 1000 shots.

CasanovaXL
12-04-2011, 08:46 AM
I know you say it's not the carrier, but double check it. Pull and hold the trigger. If the slow, quiet hiss stops, then it's something in the powertube. Chances are your carrier is just slightly large, or your carrier o-ring has finally broken in a bit. As the carrier o-rings break in, you'll need to switch out to a smaller carrier to stop the LX from leaking.

+1

always easier to do adjustments without the shims too

athomas
12-04-2011, 10:42 AM
The shims can cause false leaks by causing the sealing surface of the oring to be too close to the bolt stem vent hole. You shouldn't ever need shims to be installed anyway.

nathanjones008
12-04-2011, 01:01 PM
i will return and report :)

nathanjones008
12-04-2011, 04:36 PM
I changed out the powertube oring. I kept in the shims. The hissing is gone I hope this is FINALLY tuned up :mad:

Thank you so much everyone! :)

athomas
12-04-2011, 06:30 PM
The carrier size is designed to change the inside diameter of the oring. That is why they come in different sizes. When you change the oring, you need to adjust the carrier size for the new oring. You should always remove the shims when you do this to reduce the possibility of false leaks. Then use the largest carrier size that does not produce a leak for the oring you are using.

nathanjones008
12-04-2011, 08:43 PM
:cheers:

Spider-TW
12-05-2011, 11:12 AM
About 1000 shots will often break-in a new L10 o-ring. Don't be surprised if it does it again with the new o-ring. When it starts again, go down a carrier size with the same o-ring. Once you get past the break-in, they behave for a long time.