PDA

View Full Version : EM Ripper troubles

rawbutter
12-11-2011, 09:47 AM
I bought a Logic EM Ripper a few months ago. (I got it second hand from one of the original buyers. He never actually even assembled the gun, so it's exactly the way it was sent from CollHand.) I'm pretty handy with automags (I built my own pneumag and I've owned plenty of electric guns), so I figured I would have no problem getting the Ripper working.

So far, however, it’s been an “interesting” experience getting the gun into working order, to say the least. Most of the time, when I air up the gun, it starts firing full auto (even without the board turned on). Other times, it doesn’t work at all.

I think I’ve narrowed down the problem to the Smart Parts Max-Flo LPR provided with the gun. First of all, the LPR seems to “pulse” instead of providing a steady supply of air. I know this for sure because I tried connecting the LPR directly to my air tank (without the gun), and the air coming out indeed pulses at a very high rate, which is causing my x-valve to RT, even if the electronics aren’t turned on. (This really makes no sense to me. With the board off, why is air still getting through the solenoid and piston?)

Secondly, the LPR seems to drift significantly, and it’s SUPER sensitive. If I set it too low, the gun won’t fire. If I set it too high, the gun goes into full auto. Somewhere in the middle is the perfect range, but that “middle” area is less than a tenth of a turn, I would say. It’s really hard to hit that sweat spot where everything works perfectly. Worse yet, when I do find that sweet spot, the LPR doesn’t want to stay there. I’ll get everything set up perfectly, purge the gun, and leave it alone for a few days, but then when I come back to play with it again, suddenly the LPR isn’t outputting the right psi anymore even though the knob hasn't moved. It’s literally like I have freakin' leprechauns running around in my shop messing with the gun whenever I leave. :mad:

This has been really frustrating and disappointing, to say the least. Three times now I’ve “fixed” the gun and have everything working perfectly. Then, I’ll leave it in its case for a few days or weeks, but when I take it out for a game, suddenly it’s not working anymore. (The last time I took it out, the LPR had increased the psi so much that it burst the microline inside the gun. :cuss: My friends literally laughed at my misfortune.)

So, I was wondering if anyone has any idea what's going on. Did I just get a defective LPR, or are they all that way? The original owner never sent me a users manual for the gun (was there even one provided), so that's tripping me up too.

I'm really hoping this is a common problem with an easy fix that I don't know. Otherwise, I'm going to have to invest MORE money into buying a new LPR to replace the bogus one provided with the gun... and I really don't want to do that. I've already invested a LOT of money into this thing, and while it does indeed "rip" when it's working, it's simply not dependable. After owning it for a few months now, it's always acted up whenever I've taken it to the field, and I've been forced to use something else.

(On a related note, anyone has some spare microline they're willing to sell me for cheap? :D )

SSP REAPER
12-11-2011, 12:24 PM
BigEvil is the only guy to trust on getting that marker working as it should. He did Going_Home's and it turned out to be a ripping monster. Send BigEvil a pm here or on www.bigevilonline.com for help with your issue.

:cheers:

Nobody
12-11-2011, 12:45 PM
BigEvil is the only guy to trust on getting that marker working as it should. He did Going_Home's and it turned out to be a ripping monster. Send BigEvil a pm here or on www.bigevilonline.com for help with your issue.

:cheers:

seconded.

Big Evil is your best option with this. he does work magic with mags that are problem children.

p8ntbal4me
12-11-2011, 09:18 PM
I got the boards fixed on the Rippers,.. BigEvil figured out the issues with the rest of the front end (regs and such)

You really need to get him that gun and speak with him.

He really is the only one that can fix them.

rawbutter
12-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the replies. I did PM BigEvil, but I also got a reply back from CoolHand. He also thinks the LPR is the culprit. I'm gonna get a replacement and see what happens.

hill160881
12-11-2011, 11:04 PM
if it is not made by Palmers I wold not trust it.

rawbutter
12-12-2011, 06:15 PM
if it is not made by Palmers I wold not trust it.

I was thinking an SCM from AKA, actually.

rawbutter
12-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Just wanted to give in update (in case anyone finds this thread sometime later and wonders what happened).

Turns out the Smart Parts Max-Flo LPR was indeed the culprit. (After I replaced it, I pulled it apart and discovered that part of the piston had been installed backwards. I'm assuming it came from factory that way. Good quality control there, Smart Parts. :tard: )

Anyway.... once I replaced the SP LPR with an AKA SCM, I haven't had any issues with the EM Ripper frame. And I gotta tip my hat to CoolHand. I know there was a lot of drama surrounding this frame, but when it's working the way it should, it indeed rips. :shooting: