PDA

View Full Version : taking off on/off valve for hyrdotest

mogli
12-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Hey I was wondering if the old max flo bottles that were left hand threaded on the male threads into the regulator were also threaded left handed into the bottle.

sjrtk
12-19-2011, 09:56 AM
It depends is it a manifold style or the later inline? I am not sure with the old manifold style maxflo's but the later inline are standard threading to remove the bottle.

mogli
12-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Oldddd skoool two part manifold. I'll try to get a pic up later.

Ratfink
12-20-2011, 08:18 AM
I am not 100% sure, I have had every style, except the left hand, but since the cylinders were sourced form industry other than paintball, I would assume the threads are standard right. they can be very hard to remove, as a lot of the time they are loctited with red. I always use a heat gun on the neck as I turn the bottle to break the loctite

sjrtk
12-20-2011, 06:03 PM
I think only the oldest of the old school were reverse threaded. What year is the tank? Is it a SP tank or who is the maker of the tank? This can help narrow this down.

You can try soaking it (reg first) in very hot water up to the neck of the bottle to loosen the locktite befor trying to get the tank off. I highly recommend a strap wrench on the tank and clamping the reg in a vice with leather to protect it and remove the gauges befor hand.

mogli
12-20-2011, 06:20 PM
No gauge on the bottle, born on date in 98 i believe, and its marking are an interlacing CL i think for charelton industries. I should take a picture of the bottle one of these days and get it up here just gotta bother my roomate for his camera.

sjrtk
12-20-2011, 06:47 PM
If your bottle was born in 98 you can rehydro the tank but you will only get a year or so out of it. They have a 15 year service life (technically), so they may not hydro the bottle just drill a hole in it and give it back to you as it service life is basically over. But the reg is good until you can't get parts. It the bottle is attached directly to the regulator it should be a standard thread It the bottle is attached directly to the regulator it should be a standard thread, if it has what looks like a co2 pin valve that screws in to the reg then it WILL be left handed. I am doing a little more digging on it now.. I am doing a little more digging on it now.

http://www.zdspb.com/tech/mguide/regs/comparison.htm

Take a look here and see which one you have.
I think the screw in tanks were left handed.

mogli
12-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Ya looks life a beefy CO2 on/off and ya I'll have to look into the 15 yr lifespan. Damn that makes me want to get my bottles filled under the table even more.

If your bottle was born in 98 you can rehydro the tank but you will only get a year or so out of it. They have a 15 year service life (technically), so they may not hydro the bottle just drill a hole in it and give it back to you as it service life is basically over. But the reg is good until you can't get parts. It the bottle is attached directly to the regulator it should be a standard thread, if it has what looks like a co2 pin valve that screws in to the reg then it WILL be left handed. I am doing a little more digging on it now.

sjrtk
12-20-2011, 07:01 PM
If you want a newer tank I have at least one I can sell you. That is in hydro with a crossfire reg on it.

mogli
12-20-2011, 07:11 PM
well gotta bigger fish to fry than just tanks as the only asa on these guns is the current max flo left hand threaded deals. so gotta see what my options really are on this.

mogli
12-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Link is not working for me??

If your bottle was born in 98 you can rehydro the tank but you will only get a year or so out of it. They have a 15 year service life (technically), so they may not hydro the bottle just drill a hole in it and give it back to you as it service life is basically over. But the reg is good until you can't get parts. It the bottle is attached directly to the regulator it should be a standard thread It the bottle is attached directly to the regulator it should be a standard thread, if it has what looks like a co2 pin valve that screws in to the reg then it WILL be left handed. I am doing a little more digging on it now.. I am doing a little more digging on it now.

http://www.zdspb.com/tech/mguide/regs/comparison.htm

Take a look here and see which one you have.
I think the screw in tanks were left handed.

sjrtk
12-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Sorry the link didn't work but if you go through the sight you can find it. But if you change your mind let me know. Your best bet might be a scuba shop or local fire department.

mogli
12-20-2011, 10:24 PM
just not trying to spend mad loot off the bat on these guns, and i love the flexibility of the set up, just hopefully can do something about the bottles, but ya navigated and definitely first gen max flow manifold 3000 psi left hand thread style.

athomas
12-21-2011, 05:22 AM
You can get the bottle hydro tested as long as it is within the 15 year period from the born date. That will give you 3 to 5 years of service depending on the type of bottle it is. You'll have to check the numbers for that. The specs based on the numbers will also give you thread information.

mogli
12-23-2011, 11:20 PM
well gota get the pics up when i get back to NY from visiting my rents in NC but thee tanks were born in 96 :(

sjrtk
12-24-2011, 10:05 AM
... thee tanks were born in 96 :(

That is to bad your tanks are dead. Unless you can fill them your self or play some were they don't really check you ca get more time out of it but they will be decommissioned (I.E. hole drilled in them or not returned) if you send them in for hydro.

athomas
12-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Check the numbers online. The life given was based on expected life due to historical results from past products of similar construction. There was some talk about extending the life of some tanks once they reached maturity if it was found that these tanks exceeded expectations for aging.

mogli
12-27-2011, 09:07 AM
ya whats really sad is these tanks only saw four years of use before the original owner stored his equipment till he sold me all of it this year. They never even had one retest. Ya it looks like I'll be hitting up some ppl that know the local FD to see if i can get fills on the DL.

mogli
12-27-2011, 09:08 AM
also doubtful I could have a field fill these without raising interest as the only way to fill these tanks easily is to attach the to the reg setup and fill from the 1/4" nipple.