PDA

View Full Version : Help with a "charity" build?

punkncat
12-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Hello AO, it's been a while since I have been on and I am WAY out of touch with who is doing what nowdays. I have been in possession of a classic mag with a warp that the owner of Dan's Land Paintball here in Jackson, GA has owned since...well a LONG time. I had gotten it from him a bit over a year ago before my financial situation got so bad with the intention of bringing it back to life for him. It needs a bit of work to even operate properly, the warp feed is one of the first generation ones that had the external vibration sensor, the valve needs a spring pack and piston, and the body, etc is in awful shape and look.

Back when I used to frequent the forums there was a guy who did a "diamond mill" on classic stainless bodies and valves. I know some of the members here have some extra nicknacks laying around and was wondering if any of you would be willing to help me complete (really start) this restoration as a gift to Dan? He has been running DLP for the past 15 years, is super friendly and helpful, and runs the hands down most honorable field in this area. He has always been intrigued with his mag and used it every time he played till it quit working years ago. It has hung on the pegboard of his trailer as a conversation piece to the knowing, and unknowing alike, for years.

At this time I know the valve needs work, and the warp needs work. I have no monies and doesn't look like I am going to any time soon. Having done a lot of work in the past to organize the AO South games, as well as contacting a lot of the AGD related vendors in trying to put together some swag, coupons, and help spread the word about those services...I was kind of hoping I might "cash in" some of that goodwill in some donations/charity towards fixing this old mag back up as a gift for an awesome guy.
I wouldn't ask if I didn't have to. I can just give the marker back, but I would really like to be able to give it back in working and beautiful shape after having had it in my hands so long and not accomplishing my goal for him.

Any help that any of you could offer towards the realization of this project for him would be much appreciated. I will be happy to post pictures of the start and progression of the project and some pics of my delivering it back to Dan for his pleasure.

Thanks much for any help you could offer AO.

sjrtk
12-28-2011, 06:06 PM
pm'ed

Ratt
12-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Might I suggest you post a "wish list", then check the items off as you receive them? If you post a list, I will see what I have (if anything) that I can donate.

punkncat
12-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Ratt, I think that is a great suggestion and will take you up on it. I will update the thread here over the next few days to include some pictures and the "wish list", as it were.

I think I have already gotten the valve taken care of, pending word from the person who offered to R&R it about making that info public.

Just as a quick checklist..which I will update above as mentioned...I am in need of:

Warp repair or replacement. Current is first gen, motor may be bad, no vibration sensor at all.

Need a warp/drop/asa mount solution. Current setup is rigged up, and has a loose bolt to allow the asa to be turned, tank screwed in, and turned back. Hoping to find a lukes drop or the like

SS body needs to be polished, or prefer the "diamond" mill if someone is still doing it or has a body laying around.

Need a new set of wooden grips for the composite stock frame. The ones on it now are poor fitting homemade jobbies. I was hoping to find some old SP wood grips, or the like.

I need a vert ASA and foregrip. This is dependent on what manner of warp/drop/asa combo I can find.

I will likely need a new twistlock barrel nubbin and a couple of retainer orings. I think I can source them local if Mag79 is still holding a bunch of parts.
The marker is covered in old tape residue from some camo tape put on in the 90's sometime. I think I can eliminate that with some goof off.

Once again, thanks for the offers of help so far. If you have anything to donate please let me know here or by PM. Pics to come.

Ratt
12-29-2011, 11:33 AM
I have plastic nubbins. I also have a motor, but I can't remember if it came from a warp feed or a halo loader. I will investigate and get back to you.

Ratt
01-03-2012, 10:17 PM
To the nay-sayers:

I see your point of view. Punkncat explained the situation in his first post. If you don't agree with it, that is fine, and that is your prerogative. You expressed your opinion and concerns (which we are all entitled to). Now I think it's time to let everyone decide for themselves if they want to help these guys out, or not. If you want to help...great. If you don't want to help...in my opinion, you should go post somewhere else.

knownothingmags
01-04-2012, 01:38 AM
i c where the nay-sayers are at in there arguments/ inputs.

i have been into mags since i traded my classic valve into AGD for my x-valve i still own (back in 2002).
took me forever to get on this forum, but i have a thread if you need anything from it.
its yours.
let me know where to ship it.
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=259293

if you ware confused on what is for free just ask.

im always here to help.
being away from the era of the SFL and the x-mag disapointed me.
was out in the Navy, listening to submarines.
would have been nice to push the mag in the east coast games while i was out there

but just seems i always fall in at the last moment.
old timer here (kinda), minus the forum time.
woot.

thanks,
KNM

punkncat
01-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Thanks mods for cleaning that mess up.

I have the valve covered, sjrtk offered to rebuid it for me.
Ratt has offered a warp motor, if what he has IS a warp motor.
knownothingmags, I may take you up on your offer of some parts. I am thinking that drop setup might make an excellent way to solve the warp/tank/drop issue. I didn't notice, but do you happen to have an old style vibration sensor for a warp in there?

I will get back to each of you about the parts, and thank you so very much for your offers of help with this project.

knownothingmags
01-04-2012, 03:55 PM
I didn't notice, but do you happen to have an old style vibration sensor for a warp in there?

let me check and ill post up here if i do.(NO SENSOR SORRY)
you could also just move some jumpers and make an inteli switch.
i put one in my cf frame.
if you want you can send me a cf frame and i can make a switch for you. and get it set up.

punkncat
01-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks all. I have not forgotten this thread. We are dealing with some Insurance imposed monetary issues and I cannot ship anything out till early next month. I will contact each who have offered items or a service and get details worked out then.