PDA

View Full Version : Why do paintballs taste so bad?

justinellery
02-15-2002, 10:54 PM
Man, I just thought man wouldn't it be easy for companies to put a little flavoring in those paintballs so they don't taste so bad when you get shot in the mouth!!!!!!! I think they must make it taste bad on purpose.:D

crakonpr
02-15-2002, 11:10 PM
because they are made out of paint

SlipknotX556
02-15-2002, 11:36 PM
paintballs are very salty i would kno cuz iv eatin enough paint to kno. LOL

DaXtremeist
02-15-2002, 11:42 PM
paintballs have fish oils in them... making them good for the enviroment.... (from what ive known thats what is in them)

nutz
02-16-2002, 01:23 AM
from what was just said.... i dont know if i even want to know what paintballs actually are made out of.... :D

Xzion
02-16-2002, 02:10 AM
To be honest, I don't think your -suppose- to taste paintballs.... if ya don't like the taste, I think the only solution your gonna see happen, is to keep your head outta the way of incoming paintballs :p :D

manike
02-16-2002, 04:21 AM
They make paintballs taste bad on purpose to stop people (kids mainly...) from eating them. I can't remember the name of the ingredient they use but it's on purpose.

manike

Additude
02-16-2002, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by justinellery
Man, I just thought man wouldn't it be easy for companies to put a little flavoring in those paintballs so they don't taste so bad when you get shot in the mouth!!!!!!! I think they must make it taste bad on purpose.:D

Actually they are not to bad with a little salt and pepper. They also go pretty good with Ranch dressing.:D

Exodus
02-16-2002, 06:29 PM
you mean to tell me you guys have never seen a paint eating contest?!?!?! if you win those things you can get angels and such. as much as i hate the compony and everything about them, brass eagle paint dosent taste to bad some kinds actualy taste like bubble gun. interesting ehh?

68 P/F
ACI 68/3
SP gadget grip
Microline
14" SP Progressive
10" Prophicy
JT Spectra Ize (Red)

The Mag Man
02-16-2002, 08:09 PM
HAHAHAHA get this fellas...I wen't to play today, and just my luck, the two most retarded newbies ever setup next to me. They tried to tell me that a paintball was made out of rotten jello. LOL! And they called an expansion chamber a combustion chamber, then I told them that its called an ex chamber and then he said "Oh this must be the combustion chamber then" and he was talking about his low pressure chamber on the front of his crappy Spyder. I had no respect for these kids at all, also they sucked monster nut at paintball haha! Oh well, it was still very funny just to listen to them talk.

sifu01
02-16-2002, 08:30 PM
Well I don't think we all started out knowing everything about paintball. I goota say I'm lucky to have started with a knowledgable friend. I do know what your saying about listening to goofy ppl talk though. I hear it all the time when ppl think they know about computer and network technology. Wonder how they got their jobs sometimes.

The Mag Man
02-16-2002, 08:34 PM
Yeah I should probably cut them a little slack...but it seems kinda dumb to me that they didn't go research the sport before they started to play, I know I sure did when I first started. For that main reason too, so when I went out to my first real field, i'd know what everybody was talking about.

tsc
02-16-2002, 08:43 PM
They make paintballs taste bad on purpose to stop people (kids mainly...) from eating them. I can't remember the name of the ingredient they use but it's on purpose.
Bitrex is the one mainly used, its in nail polish removers and bleach etc. (although I wouldn't think bleach tasted good even with out it..)

And yes, there are fish oils in it. It's because that type of oil, and food coloring, is alot easier to wash out of clothing that oil based paint a few years back was.

Hysperion
02-16-2002, 08:50 PM
i don't know about paintball tasting bad but then again i don't know about doo-doo tasting bad either....i see dogs eating doo-doo all the time and i bet if you tried it, you just might like it :D

sifu01
02-16-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Hysperion
i don't know about paintball tasting bad but then again i don't know about doo-doo tasting bad either....i see dogs eating doo-doo all the time and i bet if you tried it, you just might like it :D

haha...you go first :)

Tim Jacobitz
02-16-2002, 10:07 PM
I don't rember the name but there was a company that at on time made paintballs that tasted like bananas. I never tried one but I would rather eat a regular paintball than one that tasted like a fruit. Its more insentave not to get shot next time.

renegade2k
02-16-2002, 10:38 PM
yea i love newbies tryin to talk technical. i used to think it was a broomstick and called it that for like a year and a half

Dubstar112
02-16-2002, 11:54 PM
she speaks :)

FutureMagOwner
02-17-2002, 06:59 AM
well i had a suggestion that would prevent balls going in the mouth you wear a bandana over your mothe like a cowboy movie or something then if you get shot it hits the bandana

Rrok
02-17-2002, 01:23 PM
I remember reading somewhere that some paintballs cointain polyethylene glycol, which I'm pretty sure is some kind of anti-coolant. Although this might not give reason to their generally bad taste (As many houshold pets have passed away due to the over-consumption of anti-freeze, which I've heard tastes sweet). I'm sure paintballs taste horrible because they were not meant to be eaten, as many people have said before.

Rrok

Warmonger
02-17-2002, 11:40 PM
i dont know, I personally kinda like the taste of diablo Hellfire paint, it kinda tastes like oranges...

Maybe im just crazy

Ityl
02-18-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by renegade2k
yea i love newbies tryin to talk technical. i used to think it was a broomstick and called it that for like a year and a half

It is a broomstick...

Thordic
02-18-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Rrok
I remember reading somewhere that some paintballs cointain polyethylene glycol, which I'm pretty sure is some kind of anti-coolant. Although this might not give reason to their generally bad taste (As many houshold pets have passed away due to the over-consumption of anti-freeze, which I've heard tastes sweet). I'm sure paintballs taste horrible because they were not meant to be eaten, as many people have said before.

Rrok

Paintballs don't have anti-freeze in them, they are non-toxic. Anti-freeze will kill you, and its bad for the environment.

Magsrule3
02-18-2002, 10:07 AM
Great American makes Bannana and Apple SCENTED paintballs. They sell them at paintballgear.com , they may smell good. but I dont know about the taste.

Rahman
02-22-2002, 11:32 PM
It's not cool to be mean to newbies,but some kids out there have really stupid looking faces and makes hard not to be mean. I didn't start out knowing everything but I knew when to keep my mouth shut and when & who to ask question..

Rrok
03-24-2002, 06:24 PM
But I knew I heard something bad about polyethylene glycol somewhere:

The polyethylene glycol (pol-ee-ETH-i-leen GLYE-col) (PEG) and electrolytes solution is used to clean the colon (large bowel or lower intestine) before certain tests or surgery of the colon. The PEG-electrolyte solution is usually taken by mouth. However, sometimes it is given in the hospital through a nasogastric tube (a tube inserted through the nose).

The PEG-electrolyte solution acts like a laxative. It causes liquid stools or mild diarrhea. In this way, it flushes all solid material from the colon, so the doctor can have a clear view of the colon.

And about the temperature orientation I had with it:

As the molecular weight of PEG increases, viscosity and freezing point increase.

"Paintballs, your cheap Ex-Lax alternative."

Rrok

Mango
03-24-2002, 06:28 PM
Hey Thordic, I bought you some Severe paint to munch on!! HAHA!! Remember that stuff?? *BLECH!!!!!*

boss_automager
03-24-2002, 06:52 PM
I think paintballs kinda taste like soap and brass eagle aren't half bad.big balls taste the worst.

speedballbanks
03-24-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by crakonpr
because they are made out of paint

actually there is no paint inside of a "paint"ball they should have called the game we play food concocktion ball because everything inside of a paintball is tottally edible.

PaInTbALL zAcH
03-24-2002, 08:58 PM
ive tried the banana ones and they smell better than they taste but theyre not bad at all

magdude25
03-24-2002, 09:02 PM
My freind dard me to eat 5 kick'n green/red red fill paintballs for 10 dollers ....i ate one and nearly threw up

RaV3n_Pa1ntba||
03-25-2002, 12:15 AM
i believe paintballs ingrediants include:

(SHELL OUTSIDE)
Thin Plastic

(INSIDE)

Gelatin based
Water
DYE
Oils
and some preservative junk

speedballbanks
03-25-2002, 10:01 AM
rt 01037 has that big book of paintball and it says the outsides of paintballs are pills if you notice the outside of paintballs are sweet.

Dr.StockClass
03-25-2002, 01:55 PM
From the RPS Website (http://www.rps-paintball.com/):

What is inside a paintball?
Food dyes (pigments), the same as those in orange soda, candies, ice cream, bubblegum, mints, etc., and polyethylene glycol (not to be confused with antifreeze). The liquid fill in a paintball is non-toxic and non-caustic, water-soluble and made of biodegradable or naturally-occurring ingredients. When a paintball hits a target, the thin gelatin skin splits open as it is designed to do, and the liquid inside makes a "paint" mark on the target.

The gelatin skin is the same as is used to make gelcap pills that we take orally as medicine.

DJSOLID
03-25-2002, 02:49 PM
That's right - RP Scherer pretty much invented em. Antifreeze is propylene glycol NOT polypropylene glycol. Propylene glycol is the new "long life" anti-freeze found in construction equipment and automobiles. Havoline's tradename for it is "Dexcool" and it is deep orange in color. The flourescent green colored antifreeze that you may be used to seeing in most vehicles is ethylene glycol.

In paintballs is Polypropylene glycol and I found this:

"Polypropylene glycols have unique physical and chemical properties due to the co-occurance of both primary and secondary hydroxyl groups during polymerization, and the multiplicity of methyl side chains on the polymers. Polypropylene glycol of all molecular weights are viscous liquids which show an inverse temperature-solubility relationship, along with a rapid decrease in water solubility as the molecular weight increases. The terminal hydroxyl groups undergo the typical reactions of a secondary alcohol, including esterification by way of an alkyl halide." -Mobile Oil company

If anyone can actually understand this: I'll give you props, cause I can't. :D

DJSOLID
03-25-2002, 03:15 PM
I just wanted to apologize for that last post, as it was the fargin' nerdiest post I've ever done. (Or seen for that matter.)

Dr.StockClass
03-25-2002, 07:55 PM
No way man. Don't apologize. I understand it. Besides, not everybody on this board is a teenie bopper.

"Polypropylene glycols have unique physical and chemical properties due to the co-occurance of both primary and secondary hydroxyl groups during polymerization, and the multiplicity of methyl side chains on the polymers. "

This just means PPG (polypropylene glycol) has extra and better properties because of the way its formed.

Polypropylene glycol of all molecular weights are viscous liquids which show an inverse temperature-solubility relationship, along with a rapid decrease in water solubility as the molecular weight increases.

This means that all PPG is a thick liquid and as temperature decreases the solubility increases. As it gets colder PPG actually gets dissolves in water better. This is important for anti-freeze stuff. And as it gets more dense it becomes less soluble. (I know I substituted density for mol. weight, but for this example it's appropriate.)

Feel free to correct me. I'm trying to apply hard earned money in the way of college classes.

justinellery
03-26-2002, 06:17 PM
I haven't a clue what paintballs are made from but I believe you when you say fish oils. I have this indoor field near me that had all this beach sand brought in. Well, the smell of all the paint in there was TERRIBLE. It smelled like a combination of fish, BO, dirty socks, you know the rest. There's got to be some nasty stuff in that paint!!!!!!

SGTKennedy
03-26-2002, 06:34 PM
i would eat 5 paintballs for 10 bucks. id probably just eat them on a dare. pathetic. meh. I wonder how many paintballs have to be consumed to get an Emag...

martlet1
03-26-2002, 08:36 PM
Ok, well since the topic came up...... I was officiating a game and I had my Flex mask rolled up, and someone shot me in the mouth while it was open. The ball hit on the inside,right, top part of my mouth on my canine tooth. The taste was just like eating a handfull of yard grass. The shell fragments got stuck in my gums and roof of my mouth. If you have ever had a dorito stick in the roof of your mouth, magnify that about 10 times and thats what I got. I had to get tweezers and scrape out the shell. Combine blood, paintball, and saliva and it makes an interesting taste to say the least.:D

SPOOKI
03-26-2002, 08:42 PM
Dunno but apparently one kid who came to the field where I used to work thought that powerball tastes like mint... I can't say as I've tried them myself but you're welcome to attempt to confirm this if you want...

BTAutoMag
03-28-2002, 09:59 PM
some taste really good. i was shot in the mask once and the ball was so good i was licking it off my mask. i dont remember the brand though:(

SPOOKI
03-30-2002, 09:47 AM
I think you guys need to sit down with a nice big ribeye and a baked potato. If you're so hungry that you are LICKING THE PAINT OF YOUR MASK I'd say you need to go get some food... Just my opinion...

BTAutoMag
03-30-2002, 07:01 PM
im not saying i wouldnt prefer a ribeye but IT WAS GOOD

StuDawggie
03-30-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Xzion
To be honest, I don't think your -suppose- to taste paintballs.... if ya don't like the taste, I think the only solution your gonna see happen, is to keep your head outta the way of incoming paintballs

That's the best advice I've seen on the thread, and the only true answer to really make sense.