PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on hydro and bottle regulations

Duke
01-06-2012, 12:38 AM
I've got a fibre wrap tank that appears to have been manufactured in Feb. 2000. I used it for a year or two and it's been sitting in a case ever since.

I read the docs on DOT-E11005 today and if I understand correctly, my bottle can no longer be certified because testing must be done every 3 years by a specific date? In the case of my bottle, by Feb. 2003?

Is this correct?

Or can I have it tested and use it (if re-certified) for another 4 years (retested in 3) until it's reached the mandatory 15 year end-of-life?

OPBN
01-06-2012, 06:13 AM
Out of Hydro tanks can be retested after they have gone out of hydro. I do not beleive there is any length of time that rehydro has to be performed within. I have a tank that was tested after it has been out of date for over a year with no issues.

xero28
01-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Out of Hydro tanks can be retested after they have gone out of hydro. I do not beleive there is any length of time that rehydro has to be performed within. I have a tank that was tested after it has been out of date for over a year with no issues.

This is correct. Also, carbon fiber tanks have a lifespan of 15 years. After that, testers will not accept them to be retested. So, your tank has only 3 more years before it is not able to be tested again. Check out http://www.hydrotester.com/when.htm for more info. I've used the tester in the link with 5 or 6 of my tanks. They are a great place to send your tanks if there isn't anything nearby.

sjrtk
01-06-2012, 03:30 PM
As stated above as long as it is with in the 15 year service life just get it rehydro'd you'll be fine just because you didn't use it doesn't mean it can't be retested. I just took a scuba tank in for hydro testing they passed after sitting for about 10 years. I bought it from a dive shop, it sat in there back room until i bought it.

Spider-TW
01-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Put your E number in the search here...

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/

for the actual document.

I sometimes take a print with me to games since the air guys tried to tell me my five year tank was somehow three year. It's still the filler's prerogative, but it helps keep the discussion focused on the real problem. :tard: