PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Barrel MicroMag Barrel qustions

M98Punk
01-25-2012, 01:14 PM
SO I'm not back yet! I resisted the urge to poke around on the BST at all nor did I read current news, I took at the end of last summer, bought a house has a former family members wedding all that life crap and had to sell some of my living museum.

BUT the good part was I can say 100% that limited paint pistol play is my new way to go. Loved being able to move that much of the break, sneak that quietly and holy low profile batman. At the end of one game I was trading paint 1 on 1 with someone shooting a hyperMag and I was able to literally play around a standing corrugated tube. He tried to bunker me and I just kept the tube between me and him slipping out for a quick shot and gogged him for the win :shooting:

My reminiscing aside after I have reduced my debt by a significant level (hopefully by May) I want to dive back in and finish my micro pistol. THE co2 feed is 90% there I think if I had a powerlyte frame I could make it perfect... and that would look pretty baddass.

The springfeed will be radical (no no pictures, nothing concrete is done but it will be innovative when it works).

But the big problem is something of a big bore literally. The barrel is wanting 1990's paint and that ain't something I can get these days. more then once I was having paint roll down the barrel, almost made me want to twiddle my rock. SO I was wondering has anyone thought about putting a freak insert (or the non sp equivalent) into a fixed barrel gun? I'd rather not have to machine the gun (because it's my baby) so I was thinking can't I just get some SS tube made up that would slide in as a custom insert kit?? I was thinking about making a collar to go around the front so I can add a front sight (it is odd to be looking down the top of a paintball gun!) and use it to lock an insert into place. Anyways I searched and didn't find anything so I posted. :cheers:

C_losjoker
01-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Check with super stanchy on mcb under custom airsmith. He bores out barrels for freak inserts, might be able to do something for you.

M98Punk
01-25-2012, 02:04 PM
I'll have to ask him a question I don't need help doing it I just wanted to problem solve with the community to see what everyone comes up with.

kcombs9
01-25-2012, 02:31 PM
so you would bore it from the front back and have to have something hold it there and have a even larger front bore. (I don't know how long fixed barrels are)

anything is possible, I would be worried about that weakening the fixed barrel considerably and could snap off from the rest of the body.

Boring normal barrels for inserts requires them to be fairly thick walls to begin with

M98Punk
01-26-2012, 08:47 AM
That is why I was wondering if I could just make ultra thin barrel inserts. I figured something like stainless could hold up even it if was ultra thin

OPBN
01-26-2012, 08:58 AM
I wonder if the barrel is the same ID all the way from front to back? Arent some progressively larger? If it is the same ID, you may be able to get inserts custom milled, have the end of the barrel threaded and make some sort of cap that would fit over the barrel like a suppressor. Or you would have to have the tip bored to accept a WWA tip or similiar. I dont see any other way of having inserts safely in your barrel. Just sticking them in without some sore of mechanism to keep them in place would be hazardous at best, and stupid. By the time you are done though, it seems like you would have waaaay more money than you are ever going to get back out of it and destroyed a fixed barrel Micro to boot. You might be better off just buying a non fixed barrel micro and using a freak back and wwa front.

russc
01-27-2012, 04:31 PM
If the gun is getting good velocity, leave it! Isn't it the detent that is the issue if you're getting rollouts in an open bolt gun!

athomas
01-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Yes, make some sort of customized detent to compensate for the smaller paint rather than alter the barrel. It would definitely be easier.

M98Punk
01-30-2012, 08:23 AM
The goblins ate my post... let me paraphrase... I will be buried with this gun... true story. I want to go all in with pistol play next season... yes pb is a season in Upstate NY. SO I want to get the efficency up for my pistol one of the ways it to cut down on the air leaking around the paintball. And having a tighter paint fit will help with consistency some. I'm going to get the barrel ID checked out in the near future so we shall see...

athomas
01-30-2012, 03:45 PM
To sleeve an existing big bore barrel would require quite a thin walled sleeve. Most large bore barrels from that era were about 0.693" id. If you take the inner diameter down to 0.683" would require a sleeve with a thickness of 0.005" which is the thickness of a ULT shim. It would work, but would require you to be really careful with it out of the barrel. Actually, the outer diameter would probably have to be slightly smaller or you would never get it into the barrel. That would make it even thinner.

It would be doable though.