PDA

View Full Version : Barrels

Calvinator
02-14-2012, 09:02 PM
What is the most accurate barrel for the 68 automag classic?

maniacmechanic
02-15-2012, 04:52 AM
:rofl:

RST
02-15-2012, 05:46 AM
What is the most accurate barrel for the 68 automag classic?

Check:

http://www.automags.org/resource/tech/tomstech/index.shtml

athomas
02-15-2012, 06:34 AM
A barrel is just a round tube that allows the valve to propel a paintball in the general direction that it is pointed. As long as the paintballs are round, they will fly in a somewhat straight direction from any barrel that fits the paint you are using. The more variety of ball sizes you get, the more inconsistent the flight path becomes due to velocity fluctuations. This can be exaggerated by barrels that do not fit the paintball properly. You want a barrel that fits the outside diameter of the largest paintball that you are shooting (ie; it can touch the inside of the barrel in no more than 2 spots opposite each other at one time). Misshaped paintballs create another issue. The more out of round they get, the more inconsistent the flight path becomes because the side friction on the barrel walls becomes inconsistent from ball to ball.

As a general rule, use the largest barrel you can use. It will give you the most usable range with accuracy. A barrel that is overly large will work well but reduce your efficiency. A large barrel will also reduce your chances of barrel breaks.

Frizzle Fry
02-15-2012, 01:45 PM
:rofl:

+1

rawbutter
02-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Yeah.... you totally opened up a whole can of worms. It's actually a fairly complicated matter.

All science and whoopla aside, I can tell you that I've had a twist-lock Dye Boomstick on my 68 classic for about five years now, and I can't help but think it's the most accurate barrel I own (and I've used multiple barrel kits, J&J ceramics... you name it, I've probably owned it or at least tried it). If I have decent paint, I can hit long shots that make my friends stare in wonder. :D

I had a Smart Parts All American barrel too.... that wasn't bad. The Lapco Bigshot is another solid barrel (that's one of those BIG bore barrels that will shoot anything). There's one on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smart-Parts-All-American-Barrel-Twistlock-Automag-Minimag-AGD-/220954704953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3371ed3c39#ht_500wt_1287) right now, though I would ask about the inside of the barrel before bidding.

Like athomas alluded to, though, paint quality is actually MUCH more important than barrel quality. I mean, having a good barrel is definitely a plus, but stick crappy paint in there and it won't do you much good. You don't need to go top of the line, but spending a little extra for quality paint goes a long way. I often find that with the "more expensive" paint I actually spend less money because I'm not wasting so many shots. Nice paint goes where I want it to go and breaks when I hit someone. Cheap $30 Wal*Mart paint? Not so much.

Calvinator
02-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Thanks that's the info I really need. It makes sense :hail: :hail: that consistant paint is really the key.

athomas
02-16-2012, 04:31 PM
I often find that with the "more expensive" paint I actually spend less money because I'm not wasting so many shots. Nice paint goes where I want it to go and breaks when I hit someone. Cheap $30 Wal*Mart paint? Not so much.That is economics at its best right there. The cheapest paint is not necessarily the least expensive in the end.

Henchman
02-17-2012, 01:23 AM
So far, I've never been disappointed by a palmers brass.