PDA

View Full Version : RT Classic - where do I add oil?

Hook
02-15-2012, 05:23 PM
On all of my mags, I drop a couple of drops of oil in the asa and off I go. However, my newly-acquired RT Classic has a hardline that has filters in the fittings. My question is this: if I add oil in the asa, will it go through the filters in the hardlline fittings to effectively lube the valve? If not, how can i lube the valve? The only other option I see would be to remove the banjo bolt, but seeing as how the banjo bolt on RT Classics are prone to issues, I'd rather not touch it unless absolutely necessary.

Thoughts?

DCx7
02-15-2012, 05:45 PM
On all of my mags, I drop a couple of drops of oil in the asa and off I go. However, my newly-acquired RT Classic has a hardline that has filters in the fittings. My question is this: if I add oil in the asa, will it go through the filters in the hardlline fittings to effectively lube the valve? If not, how can i lube the valve? The only other option I see would be to remove the banjo bolt, but seeing as how the banjo bolt on RT Classics are prone to issues, I'd rather not touch it unless absolutely necessary.

Thoughts?
Take out the hardline on the macrofitting closest to the valve, put some oil in there and bam!

maniacmechanic
02-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Take out the hardline on the macrofitting closest to the valve, put some oil in there and bam!

^^^ easier said than done

The filters are to catch dirt , I don't see why the oil wouldn't go through them

Ando
02-16-2012, 04:03 AM
Banjo bolt knucklehead. ;)

Oil will pass through the filters though.

I'm not a fan of oil in the ASA. After the oil travles all the way through the lines and what not. You won't be getting much to the valve. I always apply the oil right at the valve through the QD or in this case the banjo bolt.

athomas
02-16-2012, 04:25 PM
I have a QD on my valves as well for removing and it is where I add my oil. However, in the past, I have oiled through the ASA. It works fine. Quite often you add much more oil than needed. It doesn't take much to wet the orings. Any excess will easily get blown through the lines and out the front of the valve. Just remember to remove your barrel when cycling oil through to prevent wetting the inside of the barrel and causing accuracy issues.