PDA

View Full Version : chuffing

magtard13
02-16-2012, 12:10 PM
when i air up and fire my mag, she chuffs a bit more than i like. is this because i need more preasure for the gun to cycle right?

Hobbez
02-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Chuffing is usually a result of the on/off not opening and closing all the way. Either by not pulling the trigger all the way or by a poorly adjusted trigger rod/sear. Check your sear for wear and your sear rod for the right gap. Credit card between the trigger and sear rod and such.

athomas
02-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Is it chuffing on a ball or is it chuffing due to firing issues? You need to fully release the trigger between shots in order for the on-off to fully open and recharge the front chamber. When rapid firing, this sometimes doesn't happen and the gun attempts to fire with a chamber that has less air than it should have. A higher input pressure helps this situation, by increasing the flow rate through the valve. It also helps to make sure the trigger rod is adjusted properly so that your finger isn't preventing the full opening of the on-off pin. When you hold the trigger against the safety, a fully ready valve should have a trigger rod that is a credit card thickness away from the back of the trigger.

If the chuffing is due to level 10 issues, then you may need to tune the level 10. Remove all the shims when tuning the level 10. Then use the largest carrier size that does not produce a leak.

Check your detents. Broken detents or ones that are sticking too far into the breach can cause issues.

Spider-TW
02-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Give it 850 psi at least.

Is it a classic valve? L10 or not?

magtard13
02-16-2012, 04:32 PM
the chuffing is while dry firing. i hadnt yet shot paint out of it. i've got it working but it likes to chuff a bit. i perform full pull and release. usually chuffs when i try to rapid fire.
the trigger rod is actually right up against the back of the trigger when gassed up.

magtard13
02-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Give it 850 psi at least.

Is it a classic valve? L10 or not?

it's a lvl10

Ando
02-16-2012, 09:28 PM
You should have about a 1/16 gap between the sear rod and the back of the trigger when aired up. The sear rod is adj so adj accordingly and see what you get.

Shooting a mag takes practice. It's not an electro and you will chuff if your not use to firing a mag a higher rates of fire.

athomas
02-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Make sure your trigger rod is adjusted to that it isn't touching the back of the trigger when held against the safety.

After the trigger rod adjustment, if it still chuffs, you may need to adjust the level 10. It can slow down the reset if the carrier size is tighter than it should be. A slow reset leads to chuffing issues during rapid fire.

magtard13
02-23-2012, 12:42 PM
thanks for the advice guys. i'll let you know what happens next time i get some air.