PDA

View Full Version : Benchmark RT Questions

1stTarget
02-26-2012, 01:11 PM
My gift to me RT has a double benchmark frame. Trigger has tremendous side to side slop. New trigger or shim? If shim which side should I put punch on to drive pin out.

Spider-TW
02-26-2012, 04:30 PM
I happen to have mine out right now, working on a few changes.

I drove the pin out from the right/starboard/passenger side of the frame. The left side of the pin is knurled.

I chopped the bottom off and shaped the remaining top, with a little Triggernomic-ish contouring. It's not easy since the trigger is solid stainless. I'll take it as a slight Steyer AUG look. :rolleyes:

The other thing I did was to fill in that little semi-circle recess in the top with some silver solder. The trigger rod rides up there in a cam effect, resulting in longer and lighter trigger pull. I'm after raw RT, so I'm keeping the rod low and straight.

The pin is 1/8" diameter, and I'm just now starting to look for an easy shim.

I was looking at Luke's triggers as an alternate, but it would take some filing at least. I have an intelliframe trigger to compare with. The pin hole looks right, but the safety/trigger arm is not the right shape. The top of the Intelli trigger needs to be thinned a bit to fit in the benchmark slot, but I don't know what the rest of it will look like.

Wiscoballer
02-26-2012, 06:06 PM
I happen to have mine out right now, working on a few changes.

I drove the pin out from the right/starboard/passenger side of the frame. The left side of the pin is knurled.

I chopped the bottom off and shaped the remaining top, with a little Triggernomic-ish contouring. It's not easy since the trigger is solid stainless. I'll take it as a slight Steyer AUG look. :rolleyes:

The other thing I did was to fill in that little semi-circle recess in the top with some silver solder. The trigger rod rides up there in a cam effect, resulting in longer and lighter trigger pull. I'm after raw RT, so I'm keeping the rod low and straight.

The pin is 1/8" diameter, and I'm just now starting to look for an easy shim.

I was looking at Luke's triggers as an alternate, but it would take some filing at least. I have an intelliframe trigger to compare with. The pin hole looks right, but the safety/trigger arm is not the right shape. The top of the Intelli trigger needs to be thinned a bit to fit in the benchmark slot, but I don't know what the rest of it will look like.

If you need an easy 1/8" shim, you can use macro

Spider-TW
02-26-2012, 07:53 PM
If you need an easy 1/8" shim, you can use macro

As far as I can remember, I think I need a shim that is about 0.010" thick. How it wobbles so much with that little gap is amazing.

Wiscoballer
02-26-2012, 09:41 PM
for each side, or just one? I can see what I can do for you.

Spider-TW
02-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Just the one I think, and that's pushing it. You can't make it too tight, it will hang the RT.

Wiscoballer
02-27-2012, 12:57 PM
let me see what I can do tonight, if I can get one, ill PM you for your address. 1st Target, same to you, if you can tell me if you need one or two.

Wiscoballer
02-27-2012, 06:00 PM
pm'd both of you, got 2 .010" spacers made today.

Wiscoballer
02-28-2012, 01:13 AM
I will attempt to send them out tomorrow.

athomas
02-29-2012, 05:33 AM
I used shim stock and punched my own shims. Shimming any trigger frame makes it much more crisp.

Spider-TW
02-29-2012, 09:44 AM
I used shim stock and punched my own shims. Shimming any trigger frame makes it much more crisp.

I should get a set of hollow punches someday. On soft stuff I'll sharpen some brass, but it doesn't last long.

Spider-TW
03-04-2012, 11:29 AM
I will attempt to send them out tomorrow.

That macro line shim fits well! I was surprised. I didn't think it would hold up in that thickness. I had to peel off my aluminum HVAC tape to get the 10 mil shim in there, and fish it in with a probe from the inside. It stood up to the pushing and pulling, so I have hope that it will stand up to some RT action. A nice side effect is that even though the trigger isn't completely tight, it can't "rattle" on the macro line shim.

Wiscoballer
03-19-2012, 03:01 PM
good to hear it worked!

1stTarget
03-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Classes, term papers, and book reports have me swamped right now. I am working on my masters in education. Will report when get some breathing space.