PDA

View Full Version : Pros and cons of various electronic 'Mags?

magfan
05-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Anyone here have any experience with multiple electronic Automag variations? I want an electro 'Mag, and the eMag and Hyper frames are both very attractive. But what are the pros and cons of each? Or any other frame/modification out there?

I'd really appreciate the input.

OPBN
05-15-2012, 01:53 PM
EMag
Pros: It's a Mag. High BPS, good battery life, customizable, reliable, good resale.
Cons: Heavy(compared to modern electros), rechargeable battery eventually has to be rebuilt, inefficient, expensive compared to other electros with simliar options.

I don't own, nor have I ever owned a Hyperframe, so really can't give much on these.

However, I do have a VER framed Mag that I like quite a bit. I can offer pros/cons on it:
Pros: Various modes, HighRoF, nice trigger feel, capable of having eyes, uses 9V battery, uses off the shelf board and parts, pretty much a "bolt on".
Cons: Expensive. At $400+, if you can find one, they are not cheap. Programming is confusing as it is a single flashing LED system.

You also have the option of an Ego Mag. Again, I don't have one, so maybe someone else can offer pros/cons on those.

rawbutter
05-15-2012, 04:42 PM
I think OPBN perfectly summed up the Emag and VER framed mags. I had one of Logic's EM Ripper frames for a while (which is pretty similar to the VER frame in cost/quality), and I would say pretty much the same thing. It's a great bolt-on that supports many modes and high ROF. Expensive, though.

I've also had a Hyperframe, and it worked ok. It was definitely cheaper and much easier to program. (I think I got mine for about $150.) It would cycle around 12 bps without issue. You have to be really careful about buying Hyperframes, though. Some don't go higher than 12 bps. Some don't include the special Centerflag on/off you need to make them work. So do your research and be careful if you go that route.

My main gripe with the Hyperframe, though, was just how cheap it felt (and look). I love mags partially because of how great they can look, and with few exceptions, I don't look at Hyperframed mags and think, "Wow! I want that!" They don't feel much better.... definitely not as solid and sturdy as a VER frame or Emag.

If you're just worried about functionality, though, a hyperframe might be a good place to start. It's a cheap, easy option that will help you learn the basics and get a taste for how fun an electronic mag can be.

bound for glory
05-15-2012, 06:42 PM
i've owned a devilmag so i can do that one:
PROS: great shooting. all the modern modes. nice 90 gripframe. head turner
CONS:the guy who made them is a con man. as far as i know, there are still prople looking to get either their gun or money. and he's not in any hurry to come up with either.
there are very few out there, and no more being made.
also, the guys a conman..mine.s**t the bed. after tring to get the guy who made the gun to fix it, i had to pay a bunch to tuna to fix it. i sold it soon after.

magfan
05-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Hey thanks guys! This is great. I don't think I want to build anything, so EP, Ego, and Spyder mags are out.

I actually like the look of the Hyperframe. I read the WARPIG article, and I think it captures that classic look on the Minimag. That said, I've always sort of lusted for an eMag. So I guess I'm still not sure, but thank you all for taking the time to write. I'd love to read more reviews anyone has about anything.

Zone Drifter
05-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Don't forget the boo-yaah frame. It's not bad, however it does require a bit of tweaking to get shooting consistently. I found the solenoid to be somewhat weak to use on standard automag valves, but worked very well with a ULT kit shimmed up. It's also not something to walk, but works well enough in changing modes to go full auto. I still prefer a good ol' rt effect myself.

MntlHazrd
05-17-2012, 06:33 AM
I own an emag as well and would agree with the posted reviews. The original programming is a bit antiquated but is more than enough if all youre doing is rec-ball but with XMOD now available helps to bring it closer to today's standards. The one major PRO i have for the emag that very limited electronic markers offer that helped me decide to buy one is that should the electronics or battery fail it is ablke to switch to mechanical on the fly.

Justus
05-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Another thing about the Emag: People say it's heavy, but that's just compared to other e-frames. You can have it ULE'd, and you should really compare it to another frame+foregrip combo, because that's what you get with Emag lowers.

Another pro is that the rechargeable battery lasts a LONG time, and with Xmod you've pretty much got the best software available (eyes are an option too). If LorneCash ever makes the software open source after he sells his programmers, then you'll be able to easily customize the software to your liking as well (or, you can learn assembly language and give it a go).

Also, some people say they won't need the switching from E-mode to Mech, but I found myself needing just that in the last game I played, since I had failed to charge the battery before going out that day. It worked in E-mode for awhile, but then didn't have the juice to trip the sear. But with Mech mode, my day of play was saved.

bound for glory
05-17-2012, 03:11 PM
i used to run my emag with a warp feed(when i get another emag, i will also warp it.i won't go on the field without one) and i did'nt think it was too heavy, but thats me...great gun!

zondo
05-17-2012, 07:39 PM
I have an E-90 made in a special batch of frames by Magnus at the request of BigEvil.

Pros:
- Scenario Dreams UTB with it's progamable modes and ability for added features
- Magnus trigger
- Micro switch, like other Eframes that aren't E/Xmags
- easily walked
- BigEvil tuned

Cons:
- Expensive, but you get what you pay for
- 90* grips, have to make sure that they accomodate the solenoid
- only available in 90* version :rolleyes:
- Used with a ULT

93klauss
05-21-2012, 10:06 AM
I run around wit a warped Xvalve with a hyper frame with a 20 bps board. Use a ULT kit for on off. Works as fast as some new electro's.

I find anything over 13 or 14 bps just a waste of paint.

Like the looks, Unless they know mags it looks stock. Hope this helps