PDA

View Full Version : time to redecorate AO

RT Lover
05-28-2012, 08:55 AM
I have been here and gone a few times but i feel it is time to update the forum, we have old threads and sub fourms that dont work. Why not get some new wall paper up? The Angel thread is no more y not put something else in to get some more foot traffic and when a outsider see's what we r doing here they will be infect with passion for a Automag... with the only treatment is to customize your mag and to horde parts lol, lets mix it up and update this bad boy get some young blood in here and grow even more!

BTAutoMag
08-15-2012, 12:21 PM
bump :D

EDIT:

People willing to donate:
-BTAutoMag
-Bunny
-going_home
-Olsson
-Dayspring
-dark_side

Olsson
08-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Good bump, made me see the thread. I would greatly appreciate if the old threads with valuable info could be resurrected. There are a lot of stickies and other how-to threads where all the links and pictures are dead, and where referrals to air smiths and anno shops are outdated. That would be the single greatest improvement in my mind.

BTAutoMag
08-15-2012, 12:40 PM
it makes me sad to see this place fall into dissrepair. this was my teenage years :D

AGD
08-16-2012, 12:22 AM
Your lucky its here at all. We are one server crash away from oblivion. If anyone wants to get a fund going for a revamp let me know. There is no money being made any more in paintball so this is what you get.

Tk

knownothingmags
08-16-2012, 12:35 AM
Your lucky its here at all. We are one server crash away from oblivion. If anyone wants to get a fund going for a revamp let me know. There is no money being made any more in paintball so this is what you get.

Tk
TK/AGD,
wish i would have meet you near 2001 when i started shooting your awsome marker.

but im down to push some $$$, the way of this fund,

i would hate to see this forum go to the wayside,
please anyone who is able to keep this afloat please post up.

i am personally not set up to manage a fund like this.

TK... if you could PM the details of what it takes to keep the servers alive per year... i may be able to fund/ help fund us from going down.

thankyou,
KNM.

BTAutoMag
08-16-2012, 06:48 AM
lets get a paypal donation button :clap:

Arstron
08-16-2012, 07:30 AM
I would be willing to donate a spot on my dedicated server. :cheers:

Bunny
08-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Here is a post from Tom describing what it takes to run Automags.org.....

AGD: 09-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Well the problem is we own our own server at Delaware.net and it hosts all our sites. Its not so easy to just dump AO off to another provider becasue I still have the expense of the server etc. As you all point out, and I certainly understand, paying money and forums don't mix.

It costs about 5-600 a month for the whole package and we get about 150 from Google. That means we would need about 450x12 months=5400.00 to cover everything. Roughly thats 540 subscribers for 10 bucks a year. If you watch the "who's online" numbers you will see that a huge majority of people are not members but "guests" and in effect lurkers.

So I am wrestling with this and might just sell the forum off to someone who can fund it and keep it free.

Thanks,

AGD

Btw, anyone want to make a Kickstarter for automags.org :D

BTAutoMag
08-16-2012, 07:44 AM
If e could turn automags online into the powerhouse it used to be we could do that easily.

RT Lover
08-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Im thinking if we update it with pics of some of the markers that have be personalized, we can pull in new younger people! I would be down to donating to the automag cause! so lets get this moving and get us back on top!!!

OPBN
08-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Not to be a naysayer, but I think it's going to take more than a fancy new forum to breath life back into AGD. I think it's obvious from TK's statement that AGD has essentially given up.

With that said, I would be willing to donate $10-20/year to keep the forum going more as a resource than a means to bring more people to the fold.

I know I'm not going to be popular for my statements above, but it is what it is.

Arstron
08-16-2012, 08:35 AM
I wonder how many/what other sites they are hosting other then AGD and AO? at $500 a month, thats a heck of a server for a few websites.

bbotts77
08-16-2012, 10:57 AM
I wonder how many/what other sites they are hosting other then AGD and AO? at $500 a month, thats a heck of a server for a few websites.
I'm guessing they're doing a co-location and their server is just old.

I would also be happy to let AO (and possibly the other sites) live on one of my servers.

Tom, if you want to PM me some stats (disk space used, bandwidth, clock cycle(if recorded)) for each of the sites on that server, I can look into where I can put them for you and the community.

BigEvil
08-16-2012, 11:25 AM
This site can run on a new server for under $300 a year. A new vbulletin license would be under $200 (last time I checked).

I know the person who can make this happen, lease the server space and handle the migration.

Things like graphics could be handled by the members.

mpsd
08-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Well, I've been visiting AO on a daily basis for the past 7 years and I post almost at the same rate.

MCB charges $10 a year for members and they have several members over there. I wouldn't say 500 but they have some and I believe this helps. I pay there and I'd pay here as well. Just by having a BST only for members on which members offer discounts on their sales to other members already pays of to contribute.

BTAutoMag
08-16-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm so happy I bumped this :cool:

knownothingmags
08-16-2012, 12:02 PM
here is what TK ended up telling me about the site.

"The forum needs someone with programing experience to work on it. It also needs a software update which costs money. We own the sever and once it dies, that's it. The service provider is telling me its so old, its not worth doing anything with. To transfer the data to new hardware would again cost money and require software upgrades. So unless you can figure out a way around the money problem just labor is not the problem. I appreciate the offer to help, if someone wants to step up with funding I will let you know.

Thanks

Tom"

going_home
08-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Jeesh a PBN membership is $30 a year, and for what ?

Scott see if you can get it set up for some sort of premium membership.

I'd do whatever amount is decided.

;)

knownothingmags
08-16-2012, 12:05 PM
i for one would be willing to donate/ contribute to keep this site alive,
ive got CA$H on it as we speak, just need to know where to send it once there is a fund set-up.

BigEvil
08-16-2012, 12:28 PM
here is what TK ended up telling me about the site.

"The forum needs someone with programing experience to work on it. It also needs a software update which costs money. We own the sever and once it dies, that's it. The service provider is telling me its so old, its not worth doing anything with. To transfer the data to new hardware would again cost money and require software upgrades. So unless you can figure out a way around the money problem just labor is not the problem. I appreciate the offer to help, if someone wants to step up with funding I will let you know.

Thanks

Tom"

This site can run on a new server for under $300 a year. A new vbulletin license would be under $200 (last time I checked).

I know the person who can make this happen, lease the server space and handle the migration.

Things like graphics could be handled by the members.
^
^^
^^^
^^^^
^
^
^

BTAutoMag
08-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Lets figure out a goal we need to meet to keep the site alive. transfer the data to another server and yadda and go from there.

VecTor
08-16-2012, 12:44 PM
I for one would contribute to the fund as well. I cant image not having this site avail. If its new hardware/ cpu box i bet we as a community could come up with that.

I know for a fact that players are going back to automags. In my area of Oklahoma automags are comming back (slow but sure.) I think having a section dedicated to the new styles of the automag and contacts to those who do it would be great!

BTAutoMag
08-16-2012, 12:45 PM
yes, automags are making a comeback!!!! I got so many people around here in awe of them :headbang:

Bunny
08-16-2012, 12:47 PM
I would love to help donate/invest in automags.org. It would be a shame to lose all of the valuable data we have in the archives just because we didn't have enough $$$ to keep it running.

Within the past few years it has filtered out the type of AOer in the community and seems like the people that are left are some of the most die hard fans out there. You should poll the forum and see how much of an investment we have in AGD products, I bet you would be surprised how many thousands of dollars we have sunk into our paintball guns.

I think kickstarter.com would actually help automags.org and give us an idea on what we could accomplish. Sure, some folks wouldn't want to pay anything, but there are still a few people around AO that have the time/money to help keep this community going.

BigEvil
08-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Scott see if you can get it set up for some sort of premium membership.

I'd do whatever amount is decided.

;)

That is easy. It is built right into the software out of the box. I am not up to date on all of the bells and whistles that come with the latest version of vBulletin. Most everything you would need is included. There are other add-ons such as the Gallery package and VBADVANCED that MCB uses. That would be an additional $500-1000 (depending on current pricing) just to purchase those plug in modules.

No one seemed to mention anything about the Google Ads at the top. IIRC, someone said they can (or used to) generate $100-$150 a month. Is that still the case? If so, there is your funding source.

Once the database is backed up, optimized, and migrated to a new server, the old one can be 'retired'. I propose an "Office Space" style send off with baseball bats, while the Ghetto Boys plays in the background.

Olsson
08-16-2012, 12:49 PM
i would gladly pay to be a member on AO, and I would gladly contribute to any kind of fund to keep AO online. If we manage to get a larger crowd to AO while we're at it, it would be a nice bonus. Bottom line, a fee wouldn't scare me away, rather the other way around - ensure that I most definitely try to keep AO online.

OPBN
08-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Im not sure if it has been addressed, but IIRC some people have said in the past that they had issues getting registered here. I think its possibly was spurred the growth of the AGD sections on peanut butter and MCB. Would migrating to a new server/software make it easier for new registrants, or has this issue been solved? BE has a point, if Google adds are generating $1200/year it sounds like the funding is easily there.

Bunny
08-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Just thinking off the top of my head...... instead of using Vbulletin we could transfer over to PHPBB or any other type of open source web forum.

I also worked with Joomla in the past and it would be perfect to blend content pages with a community forum as well. They have bridges that can be used to go from Vbulletin to Joomla and can transfer user data over. (All of which would be free!)

Dayspring
08-16-2012, 01:20 PM
PHPBB isn't REALLY designed for major communities. VBulletin is.

I would be happy to help with this - I've been running a smaller VB site, but can certainly help with all of this.

The real issue is server costs - you can't run a site this large on a shared service. You'd need a dedicated server or a Virtual Private Server.

Here's an example of the fees around this:

http://dreamhost.com/servers/compare-our-products/

RT Lover
08-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Im sure there are people here who wouldnt mind helping in the design just for the love of the marker! I my self would do leg work no problem im just not a web designer lol, if we update it im sure it will bring more people in and look way better! im not saying this site is crap or anything but broken or missing links, updated markers, some of the custome parts and bodies are unreal, and newer pics from people playing would be awesome!!! We can show the world that it may not be "mainstream" but the automag is stronger then ever

So TK put it together, lay out what is best for you! Im game no matter what! Just to have you comment on a thread of mine is bad ass lol! Oh yea, i will buy ao right now from you... I will even take the business.... lol i wish

BTAutoMag
08-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Oh yea, i will buy ao right now from you... I will even take the business.... lol i wish

Dibs on product testing :dance:

Bunny
08-16-2012, 01:54 PM
PHPBB isn't REALLY designed for major communities. VBulletin is.

I would be happy to help with this - I've been running a smaller VB site, but can certainly help with all of this.

The real issue is server costs - you can't run a site this large on a shared service. You'd need a dedicated server or a Virtual Private Server.

Here's an example of the fees around this:

http://dreamhost.com/servers/compare-our-products/

I would like to see some numbers from Tom or Dave (whoever ownes automags.org) to see the traffic and bandwidth this site uses. Other than a few webpages at the top, most of the content is text based. I just can't see this website costing so much money.

I may be wrong, but the hosting company is making it sound worse then it actually is.

Btw, when I ran a few sites, I used Dreamhost and <3'd it!

BigEvil
08-16-2012, 01:58 PM
I would like to see some numbers from Tom or Dave (whoever ownes automags.org) to see the traffic and bandwidth this site uses. Other than a few webpages at the top, most of the content is text based. I just can't see this website costing so much money.

I may be wrong, but the hosting company is making it sound worse then it actually is.

Btw, when I ran a few sites, I used Dreamhost and <3'd it!

Traffic numbers are deceiving. They are inflated due to the constant barrage of spambots

Dayspring
08-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Still, bandwidth at Dreamhost is unlimited. Plus, if we upgraded AO to the new VBulletin, you can open registrations to ALL of the free domains by adding a secret question to the form that bots can't handle.

Means no more spam.

And in regards to PHPBB, I had SOOOOO many issues with spam bots with that software. Soon as I went to VBulletin, it all stopped.

BTAutoMag
08-16-2012, 02:24 PM
a point I would like to make:

AGD was a super power in the paintball world and why? because the design is simple, reliable, low cost and fast. name one other paintball marker that has all 4 of those attributes.

and then came AO. Tom would say what should I make next? and we would tell him. or he would say look what I made and we would go, THATS AWESOME or I dont like that at all.

Ideas like the deldrin bolt which died quickly because we the site put its through the ringer and found the fatal flaw... who found the flaw? WE DID!

Automags have become IMO the longest lived single paintball gun thats still competitive and the FIRST open source paintball marker!

In AO you have everything to keep a company going. look what Luke, hill, renie and eeryone else has done for the mag, AGD stepped back and we forced its evolution.

Long live AGD, Long live the MAG.

Let us design the future of this company YOU founded Tom. You will will be amazed at what a group of fanatics can acheive with the permission to do so

Bunny
08-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Btw, I totally agree with upgrading the forum to the latest vbulletin it would be way easier to transfer old accounts. :D

skipdogg
08-16-2012, 03:14 PM
I will contribute $$

RT Lover
08-16-2012, 03:45 PM
i am going out on a limb but i think the vast majority of use would pay a membership fee, just do different levels, like low, med, and high... and the pay out with more foot traffic would make it worth it... make it appealing to younger people and show them all that a mag is! i like the v bulletin idea transfer over the data and wammo! I personally would drop more cash up front. just to have a gold supporting member and to see what i love grow is what i want lol. I sure with newer people it will bring a new dimension to the mag!

I guess we need stats or some idea on what TK thinks is best. Like i said i would do all i could do to help!!

BTAutoMag thanks for bumping!

Tron
08-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Go for http://xenforo.com/ drop VB 4 nothing like VB 3 used to be. If you guys want a front end go simple and use WordPress or use the add-ons Xenforo have. Nginx and Xenforo and this place will be rocking fast and up to date.

knownothingmags
08-16-2012, 05:01 PM
when we get this done, there should be an archives section with all the old projects and info threads to be placed.

BTAutoMag
08-16-2012, 05:50 PM
BTAutoMag thanks for bumping!

:cool:

audioSLAVE
08-16-2012, 06:11 PM
If there is anything I can contribute graphic-wise please let me know.

Darring D
08-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Im in some $ for the win!

Olsson
08-17-2012, 06:42 AM
Regarding membership and fees. Over at MCB it's free to register, or it's $10 a year to be a member. Personally I think that AO need to have at the very least a level of free registry, or AO would loose a lot of people who are more casual visitors, whom we still would like to stick around to spread the word. Whether or not there should be different levels of paying membership could be argued - I have no good arguments either way.

However, to increase the incitement of paying for membership, how about now and then having different kinds of membership specials. For example, there was a fairly high interest when TOTShadowCompany had both the reg sale and the gauges sale with the AGD logo on them. Since they were all made with the permission of Tom Kaye anyways, why not make them a member special deal. Easy and cheap enough to become a member if you want in on the deal. Or when TOT had the AO $10 off the price for the new Deadly Wind foregrips.

Personally, I believe that AO will get enough paying members without any extra membership perks, but with these AO might generate more interest amongst others to become paying members.

hill160881
08-17-2012, 08:39 AM
My concern is that the old threads would be lost in an update. Is this a possibility?

Arstron
08-17-2012, 09:28 AM
My concern is that the old threads would be lost in an update. Is this a possibility?

If you transfer it to another server or upgrade to the latest version of vbulliten then nothing would be lost at all. If you transfer to a different type of forum, well that would depend if there was a conversion available. Everyone might have to reset their passwords, but most conversions go fairly good with you having to pull out only one hand full of hair. :D

VecTor
08-17-2012, 10:13 AM
I agree with Olsson post #45. Not that its needed but even something as simple as a AGD sticker or patch to show off are AGD spirit!

Flatliner333
08-17-2012, 10:15 AM
I would be willing to pay the yearly $$$ .

kfletch
08-17-2012, 10:50 AM
As a life long Mag owner I too would do my part to help. All the men in my family run Mag's and we get plenty of attention from players here in Northeast Ohio. Paintball is hurting with the shape the economy is in, but that means larger companies like DYE, Tippman etc. are hurting worse. Best time for growth is when your competition is shrinking. I for one would love to see AGD products back in our local shoppes.

kfletch
08-17-2012, 10:53 AM
PS: I'm also out of work, need a local rep....lol

GoatBoy
08-19-2012, 03:34 PM
I don't think the site is in need of a redesign in as much as everyone needs to perhaps be a little more forward looking.

1. Forums seem to be a thing of the past. There has to be a simpler, decentralized, and free way to share information.

We archive the old information but lock it down. Then we move on.

Initial idea was FMS on Freenet, although I don't think this would serve any archival purpose, and Freenet runs like a dog.

That would be closest thing to a Bittorrented forum where anyone willing could help "host" content.

2. OK, even if we don't need a redesign, perhaps exerting some control over Google Ad content might be in order. I keep getting this ad for horny MILF porn stars who are apparently looking for *me*. While I am flattered, perhaps these ads are not in accordance with site guidelines.

3. If there's no money to be made in paintball, then I guess AGD as a company should be pretty cheap to purchase, right?

Forget a kickstarter for the forum -- what about a kickstarter to buy the Automag IP and open source it?

luke
08-19-2012, 04:25 PM
My .02 cents:
*I think paying a fee to be a member is a mistake over all.
*I think there should be enough advertising for the site to pay the yearly hosting fees. (Add more if needed.)
*So that leaves us in need of raising funds for software and hardware.
A. Tom needs to set up a PayPal account for straight out donations.
B. We can hold online raffles to raise additional funds.
C. I have no ideas for labor and regular maintenance.

I have no problem chipping in a few dollars and I can also chip in parts to help raise some money in the raffles. Additional raffle donations can come from members that have an overflow of used parts, for most that wont be a problem. ;)
We need some real number$ so we have a place to start.

Beemer
08-19-2012, 04:32 PM
2. OK, even if we don't need a redesign, perhaps exerting some control over Google Ad content might be in order. I keep getting this ad for horny MILF porn stars who are apparently looking for *me*. While I am flattered, perhaps these ads are not in accordance with site guidelines.

^^^ :rofl:

While Google often shows you ads based on the content of the page you are viewing, we also show some ads based on the types of websites you visit, view

Fred
08-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Beemer just won the internet. :cheers:

GoatBoy
08-19-2012, 07:45 PM
lulz, man, I need to turn off cookies or something then

BTAutoMag
08-19-2012, 09:23 PM
we've all learned something very important. AO is a very special place that we want to keep. everyone from new player, tinkerers, vetrans, and someone who likes goats and older ladies ;)

mpsd
08-19-2012, 09:34 PM
we've all learned something very important. AO is a very special place that we want to keep. everyone from new player, tinkerers, vetrans, and someone who likes goats and older ladies ;)

Wait... What?!?! Hahahaha

Justus
08-19-2012, 09:34 PM
1. Forums seem to be a thing of the past. There has to be a simpler, decentralized, and free way to share information.

Got to disagree here. Forums aren't a thing of the past, they've really come to the forefront of topical internet dialogue for the sharing of common interests and ideas. And I don't know why you'd want something that is decentralized. That would prohibit everyone from finding like-minded individuals and relevant information.

I mean, once you have a group of like-minded people who all want to converse about the same topics, then yeah you could go to something a little more fluid like a Facebook group or something. But for the purpose of archiving information and ideas to make them convenient and easy to find and join in, nothing beats a good ol' message board.

Beemer just won the internet.
Agreed! I was thinking the same thing when I read that. :rofl:

Fred
08-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Barely anybody posts on the AO Army facebook page. There goes your idea of forums not being relevant.

Dark Side
08-19-2012, 11:59 PM
I'll pay to become a supporting member. The whole pursuit thing worked for PBN to gain more traffic; a similiar idea to bring AO back couldn't hurt to try.

Dayspring
08-20-2012, 09:16 AM
Well, I can start some of the work on this if some of the mod team is willing to help out.

I'd need some numbers in regards to monthly traffic, server load, etc. That might have to come from the hosting company though.

Tom - is this something you can help with?

Getting this info would help us figure out the monthly hosting costs elsewhere if need be.

Also, can we get a SQL backup of our Database in case something DOES happen? This would make the transfer easy too.

BTAutoMag
08-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Just a side note, I'm on a work computer that isnt used for anything but record keeping and online forums... and I keep getting ads for ukranian women who want to date me :rolleyes:

OPBN
08-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Just a side note, I'm on a work computer that isnt used for anything but record keeping and online forums... and I keep getting ads for ukranian women who want to date me :rolleyes:
Well apparently you need to stop frequenting Ukranian singles forums. :rofl:

BTAutoMag
08-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Well apparently you need to stop frequenting Ukranian singles forums. :rofl:

apperently I need to stop shopping for GM products as well even though I'm loyal to dodge :confused:

justme-
08-20-2012, 11:06 AM
The forum has limited appeal no matter what ads are coming up, what server it's hosted on or what format the information is displayed in. Remember the state of paintball, AGD, and the marker we all love so dearly. There is nothing to draw non AGD fans here and there really would be a tough time to find anything. IF AGD were active in manufacturing anything paintball there would be a draw for the product support but alas...and the difficulty a wanting to register member must endure to actually get registered here will dissuade all but die-hards anyway... seems you have to know someone who knows someone to get a registration approved by a MOD and word on other sites is it's been this way for a long time. If there is a prayer at getting new people here registered to do more then lurk new registrations must be dealt with appropriately and more timely. This situation makes the site look dead to outsiders, and the community look "closed" and snobby.

You can host a pretty massive website for a lot less these days than one could back on 06 when TK was quoted on the costs. Company I was working for was hosted on a virtual dedicated for $400/year with over 5ooGB storage and that was an older server - newer hardware means cheaper hosting costs. Godaddy is a great host even if you dislike their political views. Dreamhost (mentioned before) is so so rated in what I have seen.

I agree with Luke, adding a required membership will be the death of the site/forum - there is not enough content to create traffic from enough people. PBNB and MCB have a much wider audience to draw from. Advertising and user donations are the only viable sources.

We have become a nitch community. I'm all for saving the data here, and moving it to a cheaper host, especially if TK is still paying that exorbitant fee every month, however recently loosing my job precludes me from donating much in the way of funds...I can click ad links, but not for milfs, ukraninian women or such... I can't afford a divorce either :rofl:

BTAutoMag
08-20-2012, 11:38 AM
I can click ad links, but not for milfs, ukraninian women or such... I can't afford a divorce either :rofl:

well when the ukrainian woman moves in just say youre supporting the site :nono:

Olsson
08-20-2012, 12:35 PM
I wholeheartedly agree that a required paid membership would be a very bad move. I still believe, however, that a premium membership, or support member or whatever it might be called for sure would bring in a decent sum of yearly $$$. Especially if there were perks apart from bragging rights, such as membership only deals on AGD apparel. Ukranian women might not be the answer we're looking for, even though some of us are looking for Ukranian women, or so it seems.

BTAutoMag
08-20-2012, 12:38 PM
this is why I love this site :dance:

Darring D
08-20-2012, 01:11 PM
I found a Ukranian woman that shoots a Mag...... win/win! :shooting:

GoatBoy
08-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Got to disagree here. Forums aren't a thing of the past, they've really come to the forefront of topical internet dialogue for the sharing of common interests and ideas. And I don't know why you'd want something that is decentralized. That would prohibit everyone from finding like-minded individuals and relevant information.

I mean, once you have a group of like-minded people who all want to converse about the same topics, then yeah you could go to something a little more fluid like a Facebook group or something. But for the purpose of archiving information and ideas to make them convenient and easy to find and join in, nothing beats a good ol' message board.

It’s only popular because it’s popular.

The two things centralized in the current setup are the storage/bandwidth and the moderation, both of which I would think can and should be decentralized. The fact that it is so centralized doesn’t help people find like-minded individuals or relevant information, especially if the single server goes down (look what happened to Simonized), or the owners don’t feel like paying money for the storage/bandwidth anymore, or new users or certain posts need to be approved by mods, or something silly like that.

The real reason to enforce so much literal centralization is control. Say if you’re a vendor (or just your garden variety megalomaniac) and you want to impose control over customer's content, access, interface -- the entire user experience. From a business perspective, this is understandable.

With the status of AGD as it is, it's hard to make a case for why it needs to be this way.

I’ve been looking for a replacement, but so far haven’t seen anything other than what I’ve already mentioned. I am distinctly, specifically *not* talking about Facebook.

I guess we’ll be holding on to the old model a bit longer.

NU_METAL
08-20-2012, 08:56 PM
It’s only popular because it’s popular.

The real reason to enforce so much literal centralization is control.

With the status of AGD as it is, it's hard to make a case for why it needs to be this way.

I guess we’ll be holding on to the old model a bit longer.

I have to agree with him on these points

Also , i never understood why there are pics of guys up on the banner( rt/hand corner)
that are from 1990's ?
Shouldn't we be adding guys up there like "BIG EVIL" for example ,that are "active" on here ?
You know @ least giving the attempt of "mixing it up " a little
Maybe some variety & fairness ?? Just a thought ;)

Btw its not going to matter what we did to this site @ this moment in economic time.Lets be realistic, cuz paintball & other hobbies are down across the board ,and there are some fancy sites out there we all know that .
I could make this site dance & do "Global thermal Nuclear war games" if i could ,& thats not going to change a thing as far as AGD revenue

RT Lover
08-20-2012, 10:06 PM
My .02 cents:
*I think paying a fee to be a member is a mistake over all.
*I think there should be enough advertising for the site to pay the yearly hosting fees. (Add more if needed.)
*So that leaves us in need of raising funds for software and hardware.
A. Tom needs to set up a PayPal account for straight out donations.
B. We can hold online raffles to raise additional funds.
C. I have no ideas for labor and regular maintenance.

I have no problem chipping in a few dollars and I can also chip in parts to help raise some money in the raffles. Additional raffle donations can come from members that have an overflow of used parts, for most that wont be a problem. ;)
We need some real number$ so we have a place to start.

Shouldn't we be adding guys up there like "BIG EVIL" for example ,that are "active" on here ?
I have always thought there should be pic updates, show the mag in action! Perhaps a video how to and look what i have tab?

i like this idea also, lets all chip in and get some well over due updates... if we can cut out the fees, but if there was a option to be a "supporting member" i would do that, keeping in mind that u can roam free if u like just a little plus for additional support!

RT Lover
08-20-2012, 10:11 PM
a point I would like to make:

AGD was a super power in the paintball world and why? because the design is simple, reliable, low cost and fast. name one other paintball marker that has all 4 of those attributes.

and then came AO. Tom would say what should I make next? and we would tell him. or he would say look what I made and we would go, THATS AWESOME or I dont like that at all.

Ideas like the deldrin bolt which died quickly because we the site put its through the ringer and found the fatal flaw... who found the flaw? WE DID!

Automags have become IMO the longest lived single paintball gun thats still competitive and the FIRST open source paintball marker!

In AO you have everything to keep a company going. look what Luke, hill, renie and eeryone else has done for the mag, AGD stepped back and we forced its evolution.

Long live AGD, Long live the MAG.

Let us design the future of this company YOU founded Tom. You will will be amazed at what a group of fanatics can acheive with the permission to do so

BRANCH OUT!!! as we have shown that the mag is customizable. he made it and perhaps can breath new life in to it! Just a new marker style would b cool... they all have the same motor.... idk if u can out do the xvalve

Dark Side
08-21-2012, 02:01 AM
BRANCH OUT!!! as we have shown that the mag is customizable. he made it and perhaps can breath new life in to it! Just a new marker style would b cool... they all have the same motor.... idk if u can out do the xvalve

I agree. TK adding something new to AGD would do just that.

Making it mandatory to become a paying member is a bad idea any way you slice it. However making it an option to pay to help out AO as a whole is something I feel a lot of old schoolers would do here.

BTAutoMag
08-21-2012, 07:24 AM
I agree. TK adding something new to AGD would do just that.

Tom can we design the next big thing from AGD? :clap:

Dayspring
08-21-2012, 08:07 AM
#1 - this thread was about (originally) re-doing AO forums. If you have "plans" for reinvigorating AGD, let's take them elsewhere to keep things somewhat on track.

#2 - Tom's not in charge of AGD anymore. Dave Zupan is.

BTAutoMag
08-21-2012, 08:10 AM
#2 - Tom's not in charge of AGD anymore. Dave Zupan is.

Tom will always be in charge of AGD in my heart :p

Dayspring
08-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Tom will always be in charge of AGD in my heart :p

Oh, believe me, I have a major affinity for Tom and the brand he built. Hell, I've hung out with the guy multiple times. But let's face facts here - he's out of paintball (outside of the compressor project) and Dave's all we have left.

BTAutoMag
08-21-2012, 08:40 AM
I dont think I've ever seen him on the boards... whats his SN?

Dayspring
08-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Tom? AGD is his SN.

BTAutoMag
08-21-2012, 08:59 AM
lol, no.

Dave's SN

luke
08-21-2012, 09:35 AM
My biggest concern is the possibility of loosing old threads if we have a server crash and the speed of this site itself. Sending messages and also trying to open the site when there is a message window telling you have a new private message in your queue can take forever (on occasion).

For me it’s more about preservation and not a new look. If a new look happens through the renovation that’s fine, but that is not the real motivation.

Your lucky its here at all. We are one server crash away from oblivion. Tk

Dayspring
08-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Well, a SQL database backup would prevent that - not sure how often that's done though.

I'm hoping a mod can either chime in here or somebody with connections to the hosting company pops in - I'd like to help and if necessary, spearhead this. But we have some standing questions that need answers.

Dayspring
08-21-2012, 10:08 AM
lol, no.

Dave's SN

Zupe

skipdogg
08-21-2012, 11:08 AM
I think Zupe has nothing to do with this site. I beleive it is still Tom's baby.
So, i second the lets get back on track.
First priority is a reliable site so this doesnt go bye bye. fancy stuff is not the primary objective.
I also, second someones idea of Tom setting up a paypal account for donations. IF Tom wants to do that....(if Tom could answer this)

BigEvil
08-21-2012, 11:19 AM
I think Zupe has nothing to do with this site. I beleive it is still Tom's baby.
So, i second the lets get back on track.
First priority is a reliable site so this doesnt go bye bye. fancy stuff is not the primary objective.
I also, second someones idea of Tom setting up a paypal account for donations. IF Tom wants to do that....(if Tom could answer this)

Last I heard Zuoe pays the bill but I could be mistaken.

luke
08-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Last I heard Zuoe pays the bill but I could be mistaken.

I thought that is why TK set up the header adds years ago. (??)

Dark Side
08-22-2012, 05:56 AM
Alright then. Back to getting things on track. Why not set something up like Custon Cockers has?

I'm all for reinvigorating the Mag but I think the after market will more than likely have to do that.

Dayspring
08-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Alright then. Back to getting things on track. Why not set something up like Custon Cockers has?

Such as?

going_home
08-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Why not set something up like Custon Cockers has?

Like MCB mods ?

:tard:

justme-
08-22-2012, 11:39 AM
The most important thing is saving the data here - if the easiest and most reliable way to transition to a new server and more modern interface is upgrading the same program that's probably the way to go since coming up with funds for the basics is going to be hard enough never mind someone to actually do a conversion and ensure it's going to go correctly from program/db to a different one. Conversions are costly and time consuming on every level.

Dayspring
08-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Vbulletin is actually pretty easy to work with and if we're upgrading from V3.x to V4.x, it'll work out really well.

Going from one server to another is also not that bad - the system upgrade can either do the SQL backup or connect to the DB on the current server and pull data that way.

The real crux of this will be several things - DNS registration and the transfer to a new host, $ for the new software and possibly $ for hosting depending on the current server load.

luke
08-22-2012, 01:35 PM
For my own curiosity (I'm working on an idea for a new website not related to paintball) how much money can banner adds generate?

Justus
08-22-2012, 01:41 PM
For my own curiosity (I'm working on an idea for a new website not related to paintball) how much money can banner adds generate?
That's going to depend on the site, of course. From the looks of this thread, your biggest revenue stream might be from setting up something showcasing single Ukrainian women driving Dodge trucks...

Dayspring
08-22-2012, 02:35 PM
It really depends on what system you use for banner ads & the content that people click on.

Keep in mind, Google Ads are contextual to those that participate in their network (same goes for DoubleClick, etc.). So if say you go to Sprint.com, you may see a Sprint.com banner ad when you go to a subscribing website.

So as you have seen, if you are looking for hot milfs on a website, you may see ads for hot milfs elsewhere. (Though you should be able to set up whether you allow adult content in your ad network when you sign up for them.)

Bunny
08-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Just looked up automags.org on statscrop.com

http://www.statscrop.com/www/automags.org

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3889/automagsorg.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19/automagsorg.jpg/)

Dayspring
08-22-2012, 08:15 PM
If that's to be believed, this site could run on a non-dedicated server for something like $10 a month...

Back in its hey-day, it couldn't. But now? Hell yes.

BTAutoMag
08-23-2012, 06:55 AM
www.kickstarter.com

everyone donates what they want to reach a goal, if the goal is not reached then no one is charged. once the goal is reached everyone gets a charge on their card ;)

sQuidvision
08-23-2012, 07:10 AM
i would assume TK has the final say on this... has anyone bothered to see if he is actually interested in passing this off?

BTAutoMag
08-23-2012, 07:37 AM
yes :D

I am waiting to see if there is some real momentum

Dayspring
08-23-2012, 09:08 AM
If I don't hear anything from the mods, I'll contact Tom directly.

OPBN
08-23-2012, 09:13 AM
www.kickstarter.com

everyone donates what they want to reach a goal, if the goal is not reached then no one is charged. once the goal is reached everyone gets a charge on their card ;)
No offense, but if we're talking on $120/year to operate, as Luke said, how can this not be covered by ad revenue?

BTAutoMag
08-23-2012, 09:18 AM
we have to cover the costs of transferring data and such dont we?

Dayspring
08-23-2012, 09:20 AM
We still need to raise the $ for the forum software.

Vbulletin costs $195 for a new Forum license and $285 for the CMS + Forum version. (Not sure if we'd need that or not.)

So yes, we could likely make the hosting costs through the banner ads, but we still need $ for software upgrade.

Dayspring
08-23-2012, 09:30 AM
I looked at my hosting company's prices:

$119.40 for 1 year of hosting, prepaid for the year. That's WITHOUT a unique IP address (an additional $4 per month.)

Bunny
08-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Post from TK back in 2004 about AO.....

What will happen to AO?

I need to find a way to make AO pay for itself. If it can do that it can stay around forever. I will be selling banner space as a first try but if that doesnt work it might have to go to some kind of membership fee. Stuff like AO has to get paid for somehow and Dave didn't take over all the bills I have to pay.

AGD

http://www.automags.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1713974&postcount=26

OPBN
08-23-2012, 10:22 AM
We still need to raise the $ for the forum software.

Vbulletin costs $195 for a new Forum license and $285 for the CMS + Forum version. (Not sure if we'd need that or not.)

So yes, we could likely make the hosting costs through the banner ads, but we still need $ for software upgrade.
Ok, the post on the first page that linked back to TK's statement in 06 said there was $150/month in banner revenue. Perhaps this figure has changed, but $1800/year should cover it and then some shouldnt it?

BTAutoMag
08-23-2012, 10:23 AM
they only pay us if we click on them though. I make a point to click on them at least every day :clap:

OPBN
08-23-2012, 10:33 AM
they only pay us if we click on them though. I make a point to click on them at least every day :clap:
Ahhhh. Fat chance of that happening since the only banners I seem to get lately are mature women that "don't like young guys". Trying to figure out if that is supposed to flatter me or excite me? Either way, I'm not sure if I have ever clicked on a banner ad intentionally.

Dayspring
08-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Ok, the post on the first page that linked back to TK's statement in 06 said there was $150/month in banner revenue. Perhaps this figure has changed, but $1800/year should cover it and then some shouldnt it?

Yes, under a new model. But from the sounds of things, they are using that $150 and then some to cover CURRENT hosting costs.

So we'll still need to get the $ together for the software. Once we get moved to a new ISP and plan, then yes - the banner revenue would cover the monthly fees and then some.

Arstron
08-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Again, I would gladly setup space on my server for agd to host the forums at no cost. Transferring would not be much of a problem, worst case scenario we would have to download all files to a computer, upload to the new server, shut AO down temporarily, back up the database, restore the database on the new server and switch the dns information around. Once the dns information updates everyone will start loading the open forums with no change.

Bunny
08-23-2012, 02:23 PM
I'll put $$$ where my mouth is. I'm willing to cover some of the up front costs of upgrading to a new server. If anyone else is truely serious about this feel free to send me a PM.

Dayspring
08-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Well, I can look into a Kickstarter type of setup to cover the Forum Software portion.

But again - we still need the OK from Tom/Zupe as well as some support from the current hosting company.

BTAutoMag
08-23-2012, 02:33 PM
get a clear plan together. who is doing what? then we will present it to Tom.

luke
08-23-2012, 02:47 PM
I'll put $$$ where my mouth is. I'm willing to cover some of the up front costs of upgrading to a new server. If anyone else is truely serious about this feel free to send me a PM.

It does not look like that much money so I dont think raising funds will be a problem, we really need to hear for Mr. TK before anything is started, it's not ours to change. ;)

Dayspring
08-23-2012, 02:55 PM
get a clear plan together. who is doing what? then we will present it to Tom.

I said earlier that if I don't hear from the Mod team here in the next day or so, I'll contact Tom directly.

BTAutoMag
08-23-2012, 03:12 PM
contact him. I have but I have nothing technical to add, just support. we need someone who knows what theyre doing to talk to him

Dayspring
08-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Yes sir. :rolleyes:

BTAutoMag
08-23-2012, 03:17 PM
tom@tomkaye.com :cool:

I dont know how I remember that :ninja:

Dayspring
08-23-2012, 03:20 PM
I've got him on Facebook. :)

BTAutoMag
08-23-2012, 03:23 PM
I got off of facebook but he was a friend of mine when I was :cheers:

AGD
08-23-2012, 04:08 PM
I have been talking with Zac via email. If you guys put together a kickstarter project and raise around 2-3k I will handle moving the forum to a new server with updates etc.

TK

Dayspring
08-23-2012, 05:30 PM
I have been talking with Zac via email. If you guys put together a kickstarter project and raise around 2-3k I will handle moving the forum to a new server with updates etc.

TK

Here's the part I'm not 100% about...

Software: $300 max
Hosting: Between $9-$15/ month on a non-dedicated server

Any personal sites of yours (or AGD proper) could all run on the same server. And in effect you would still retain control of them.

Not sure where the $3k comes from.

'Splain?! :confused:

BigEvil
08-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Yeah Im not sure where that $3k figure comes from either...

BTAutoMag
08-23-2012, 08:45 PM
me aither...

BTW I'm Zac :D

AGD
08-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Because I have to pay guys to go pull the data off the server, setup the new one, buy the software etc. I will be transferring it to my current provider away from Delaware,net so that is two bills.

Then I still have to take care of Zupe because the store runs on that server on more old software. All the parts and products need to be transferred and setup on the new store with new software. Thats a job in itself. The agd website has to go over too. I am not going to do that, someone has to pay for it. Dave doesn't have the dough either.

So its more than just transferring a list of members and some posts.

TK

going_home
08-23-2012, 09:31 PM
I think there would be more sales for the AGD online store if it were easier to navigate.

Like being able to click a "buy" button and pay with Paypal.

If you have to call in to buy something, to me thats a sales prevention website.

Either way if Tom or Dave or someone wants to set up an official "Update AO" Paypal account and keep us updated on the progress I'm in.

;)

BTAutoMag
08-23-2012, 10:01 PM
ahhhhh, I see I see said the blind man to the deaf dog

so lets get kickstarter going :clap:

Dayspring
08-23-2012, 11:33 PM
i will get it going tomorrow morning.

Olsson
08-24-2012, 01:29 AM
I'd be more than happy to actually put my money where my mouth is. If the kickstarter helps out AGD as well, so much the better. Easier navigation - and easier to buy - at AGD's website would benefit AGD (or so I would like to think). As for easier navigation, don't forget to make it easy to purchase for all the non U.S. customers out there. *hint hint*

Oh, and to make a very easy incentive for people to contribute to the kickstarter without any cost/discount to it, how about that everyone who contributes a certain sum gets their photo at the top of the page, much like the gentlemen at the top of the page at the moment.

BTAutoMag
08-24-2012, 06:57 AM
see now I'm sad cause I'm poor :(

I bumped the page :cool:

Dayspring
08-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Well I'm looking at the Kickstarter info.

I can start it, but I'm going to end up getting hit with income tax on the funds received. So it may be better if Tom sets this up himself. I mean, I CAN, but I'd rather not pay this in my taxes next year.

BTAutoMag
08-24-2012, 09:55 AM
kind of a different subject... on another site (neons.org) dealers pay a fee to be able to sell their stuff and have their own forum section...

sorry, luke and all them, but it is extra revenue

luke
08-24-2012, 10:19 AM
kind of a different subject... on another site (neons.org) dealers pay a fee to be able to sell their stuff and have their own forum section...

sorry, luke and all them, but it is extra revenue

:)
I’ll say this in my most happy and cheerful voice:
Are you sure you want your aftermarket parts and services to take a walk?
If you think there is any real money making after market parts for the Automag think again.
If I told you how much money I make doing this you would call me an idiot for doing it.

BTAutoMag
08-24-2012, 10:25 AM
it was just a suggestion. I know theres not alot of profit in this. I'm just posting what another forum is doing to raise money. I'm not AT ALL saying that youre taking advantage of us.

dont ever take what I say as an attack on you. I'm a generously nice person... its also why I'm so poor :rolleyes:

luke
08-24-2012, 10:31 AM
it was just a suggestion. I know theres not alot of profit in this. I'm just posting what another forum is doing to raise money. I'm not AT ALL saying that youre taking advantage of us.

dont ever take what I say as an attack on you. I'm a generously nice person... its also why I'm so poor :rolleyes:

I’ll say this in my most happy and cheerful voice:

I’ll say this AGAIN my most happy and cheerful voice:
(lol) how many smilies do you need to understand my point of view?

BTAutoMag
08-24-2012, 10:36 AM
could of also been sarcasm. Sorry for the missunderstanding :p

luke
08-24-2012, 10:40 AM
sarcasm= :rolleyes:

BTAutoMag
08-24-2012, 10:46 AM
lol= :rofl:

ok back on subject

Dark Side
08-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Such as?

They have a side forum for paying supporters, an aftermarket forum. Plenty of good ideas are already out there for us to model.

BT, can you edit your first post putting a list up for those that will pay to support this site.

Dayspring
08-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Well, once Tom sets up the Kickstarter account, we can link to it and go from there.

But as I said - that part is something Tom's going to need to handle, I'm not willing to take the financial tax hit.

BTAutoMag
08-24-2012, 12:55 PM
BT, can you edit your first post putting a list up for those that will pay to support this site.

will do :p

everyone willing to donate put "I WILL PAY" in their response

Justus
08-24-2012, 01:30 PM
If I told you how much money I make doing this you would call me an idiot for doing it.
I'm no dummy. I wouldn't call you an idiot. I'd just place yet another order for work. ;)

AGD
08-24-2012, 07:24 PM
I read the details on Kickstarter.com and it looks like we don't apply. They will not let projects go on that involve website stuff.

Anyone have any other ideas?

TK

BTAutoMag
08-24-2012, 09:13 PM
well Tom, can we trust you to hold our money :rolleyes:

AGD
08-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Everyone could send me a check and if we don't get to the target price you can cancel the checks.

TK

knownothingmags
08-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Everyone could send me a check and if we don't get to the target price you can cancel the checks.

TK
whats the target price?

Dayspring
08-25-2012, 01:12 AM
why not add an item on the AGD web store?

Dark Side
08-25-2012, 02:08 AM
why not add an item on the AGD web store?

That would work for those of us currently outside CONUS. Although I'm not sure how refunds would work.

BT, I'll pay.

Olsson
08-25-2012, 04:03 AM
Any which way that works for us living outside the U.S. Paypal, VISA or simply sending money to a bank account. A donate button on the AGD website would work as well. If there is a concern over not raising enough, and having the hassle of refunding, why not simply quote the sum we're aiming for, and extend the poll here on A.O with sums people are willing to pledge. In my mind the vast majority on this site are responsible adults, whom we can expect to own up to their pledge, right?

BTAutoMag
08-25-2012, 07:37 AM
In my mind the vast majority on this site are responsible adults, whom we can expect to own up to their pledge, right?

youd like to think that. :rolleyes:

why not simply quote the sum we're aiming for, and extend the poll here on A.O with sums people are willing to pledge.?

if you do that and everyone knows what everyone else is pledging then this will turn ugly fast imagine this:

Person 1 will pledge 200$
Person 2 will pledge 10$
Person 3 will pledge 100$
Person 3 will pledge 50$
Person 5 will pledge 500$
Person 6 will pledge 5$

I'll be the first to admit that I'm poor and wont be able to donate alot... but Lets say I donated 5$ and someone else dontated 200$.... like it or not that person will be the better person in eeryones eyes. you may deny it but it will happen

skipdogg
08-27-2012, 09:44 AM

TK

If this is the chosen method, then please provide address.
And as far as canceling check, I would be fine if you just ripped them up.

skipdogg
08-27-2012, 09:48 AM

BTAutoMag
08-29-2012, 09:14 AM
agreed :rolleyes:

RT Lover
08-29-2012, 10:54 AM
this is probably the best way to do it

Any which way that works for us living outside the U.S. Paypal, VISA or simply sending money to a bank account. A donate button on the AGD website would work as well. If there is a concern over not raising enough, and having the hassle of refunding, why not simply quote the sum we're aiming for, and extend the poll here on A.O with sums people are willing to pledge. In my mind the vast majority on this site are responsible adults, whom we can expect to own up to their pledge, right?

Chronobreak
08-29-2012, 11:37 AM
i like the kickstarter idea myself

Dayspring
08-29-2012, 11:48 AM
i like the kickstarter idea myself

Rules don't let us.

SoulCoffin
08-29-2012, 12:17 PM
if you do that and everyone knows what everyone else is pledging then this will turn ugly fast imagine this:

Person 1 will pledge 200$
Person 2 will pledge 10$
Person 3 will pledge 100$
Person 3 will pledge 50$
Person 5 will pledge 500$
Person 6 will pledge 5$

I'll be the first to admit that I'm poor and wont be able to donate alot... but Lets say I donated 5$ and someone else dontated 200$.... like it or not that person will be the better person in eeryones eyes. you may deny it but it will happen

everyone's situation is different. if people can and want to give, do it. whether it be a large or small amount, something is better than nothing. if anyone is looked at differently for not donating as much as someone else, that's pretty messed up.

BTAutoMag
08-29-2012, 12:28 PM
if anyone is looked at differently for not donating as much as someone else, that's pretty messed up.

Agreed but it happens, everyday :(

GoatBoy
08-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Ah, the joys of centralization. The power grabs, the jockeying for status. We'll eventually look back upon these times, laugh uncomfortably, and then change the subject.

Might want to see if indiegogo will let you do it.

Dayspring
08-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Ah, the joys of centralization. The power grabs, the jockeying for status. We'll eventually look back upon these times, laugh uncomfortably, and then change the subject.

Might want to see if indiegogo will let you do it.

It looks like Indigogo may allow us to do this. Tom, can you check this out?

BTAutoMag
08-29-2012, 02:16 PM
anyone know how to get ahold of some of the old skool members who could come back and help out :D

Dayspring
08-29-2012, 03:13 PM
We're all on Facebook. Not sure how many would consider putting $ in, but I can raise the topic.

AGD
08-30-2012, 10:18 AM
It looks like indiegogo will let us do a campaign. Before I start it we need to see a bit more momentum than a few people.

TK

BTAutoMag
08-30-2012, 10:29 AM
maybe we can incorporate this into a few events like tunaball 7

skipdogg
08-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Maybe a new thread with clearer title is good too. The 'redecorate' title isnt really what this thread has become. its more of a SAVE AUTOMAGS.ORG kinda thing...

Also, Tom I would like to think that there are some people watching this thread but dont make a post. They might be on board too and choose to just not post about it.

BTAutoMag
08-30-2012, 10:55 AM
and then get a mod to sticky it

skipdogg
08-30-2012, 11:03 AM
and then get a mod to sticky it

Sticky in all forums too. Especially the classifieds. For people that buy and sell parts, no AO to do it on would not be cool for lots of people.

Oh, and if word gets to other forums...say MCB, I would hope many more maggers would come running in to help too.

Heck...if Tom did a kissing booth at Living Legends to raise money their would be more than enough :wow: :eek:

BTAutoMag
08-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Sticky in all forums too. Especially the classifieds. For people that buy and sell parts, no AO to do it on would not be cool for lots of people.

Oh, and if word gets to other forums...say MCB, I would hope many more maggers would come running in to help too.

Its going in my signature at PBN

Heck...if Tom did a kissing booth at Living Legends to raise money their would be more than enough :wow: :eek:
:mad: THERE

I'd pay for that :p

and I'm still looking for the picture of Tom as martha stuart :rofl:

luke
08-30-2012, 12:34 PM
It looks like indiegogo will let us do a campaign. Before I start it we need to see a bit more momentum than a few people.

TK

Why not open a paypal account for donations?
It makes the most sense...

I would like to raffle off some parts to help raise funds, but I dont want to run it through my paypal account. ;)

BTAutoMag
08-30-2012, 12:53 PM
I would like to raffle off some parts to help raise funds, but I dont want to run it through my paypal account. ;)
I'm in where do I send money :clap:

luke
08-30-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm in where do I send money :clap:

I have NO idea. ;)

mpsd
08-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Why not open a paypal account for donations?
It makes the most sense...

I agree 200%. Couldn't be more easy than this.

Ando
08-30-2012, 01:37 PM
There's apparently some stipulations with that. I'm about 90% of the time sending money as personal for gear and what not too people. I've been sent paypal nasty-grams about 3 different times about it and have BS'ed my way out of each one. Not sure what the rule is but there is something stupid for "donations"

knownothingmags
08-30-2012, 01:49 PM
just give tunaman some time to get back up in full swing.
from what i understand he is planning to help to get this fixed.

he was talking about it on BEO a little.

tymcneer
09-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Ok... I didn't read it all, but...

I will help with any coding for Vbulletin... Some of my work is on display over at BEO.

If my finances allow, I will make a modest donation.

I have been shooting Automags for as long as there have been Automags, and I would rather not see this site fade away.

Ty

MAGgot
09-04-2012, 01:24 PM
TK: Please just open a paypal account for donations.
I already owe for about 5 years of "membership", so I'll happily donate some cash. I don't even care if it is used for the forum.

As far as the forum, fork over a few hundred for the new Vbulletin. Then pay this hackjob company (Delaware?) to ship your data over to a respected host like Bluehost.com and we are done!

Spider-TW
09-04-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm down for some cash.

I would also go for a shoebox raffle. :rolleyes:

btw, I hadn't noticed this thread take a serious turn (from the past few years) until Shane brought it up on MCB. There might be others ignoring the old topic.

GoatBoy
09-04-2012, 02:48 PM
May I ask how big the forum database actually is (minus private user data, of course)?

How big is the database?

Shane-O-Mac
09-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Yup, its cross posted on MCB now. I am down to donate to keep AO alive.

doc_Zox
09-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Yup, its cross posted on MCB now. I am down to donate to keep AO alive.

http://www.googlepixel.com/images/borged.jpg

kwik175
09-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Ive been keeping up with this thread for a while and agree with the theory that everyone who has read it is willing to donate but may not have posted. We need a new thread with an ongoing list of those contributing and periodically Tom can post the total collected. I'm in for a donation of course.

bbotts77
09-04-2012, 04:35 PM
I would definitely contribute to this.

GoatBoy
09-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Databases have their place, but sometimes they are solutions looking for problems.

It’s about the data. If you want to protect this public data, I don’t see how sweeping it off the floor of one central server space and dumping it into another central server space achieves that goal.

A crowdsourcing campaign reward might be something like an autographed copy of the exported AO database on blu-ray media. And then people like me can seed it out or reorganize it as I am wont to do.

Also helps you get the "old monkey" of the database archives off your back.

Dayspring
09-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Well, the issue is that the current server is one fart away from extinction. We need new hardware that will live for longer than we have. (We realistically could use a shared hosting plan - no REAL need for a private server.)

Rockmag
09-04-2012, 07:41 PM
I will put in, this is my only forum!

SpongeBobSquarePants
09-04-2012, 07:58 PM
In all seriousness have you considered selling it? As someone who literally grew up on AO, I would love to see it be brought back to life. There may be a few enterprising members who would be interested if you don't find yourself willing to put the effort back into it.

Just a thought.

Swampy
09-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Yes there is people willing to donate, but we have nothing to say.

greystone
09-05-2012, 01:06 AM
I'll be more than happy to donate, paypal, buy a membership, buy a raffle ticket, kickstart, indiegogo, whatever. I dont need a reward, incentive or prize for doing so.

I dont frequent here often, but I still have my first marker (a minimag) from 15 years ago, I'll never sell it, and I always need automags.org here for me whenever I get the mag bug.

Saw the posting on MCB.

AGD
09-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Ok I setup a campain on Indiegogo and here is the link.
http://igg.me/p/222650?a=1185620

The rest is up to all of you!

AGD

Spider-TW
09-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Throwdown for first!

Threw out the bit in my ppal account just for the opportunity. :p

I'll have to measure the rest tomorrow.

Dayspring
09-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Posted on PBN, Facebook and BEO.

skipdogg
09-05-2012, 01:06 PM
YAY!!!

YOU GOT MONEY!!! $$$$ :dance:

AGD
09-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Go Go Go!!!

Agd

luke
09-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Go Go Go!!!

Agd

Tom, if I remember correctly it’s against the rules to auction stuff on the forum; I was wondering if I get permission to run a parts auction and or raffle in the dealer forum or better yet in the main forum (Just one thread or one each) with all the proceeds going to the cause?

Bunny
09-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Tom, Since we have the URL we might want to sticky or add the link to the top of the forum.

I went ahead and donated as well :D

steve_81
09-05-2012, 09:34 PM
I've donated a little and will continue every payday until the deadline. Long Live AGD!

AGD
09-06-2012, 01:35 AM
Sure go ahead. Thanks!

TK

Tom, if I remember correctly it’s against the rules to auction stuff on the forum; I was wondering if I get permission to run a parts auction and or raffle in the dealer forum or better yet in the main forum (Just one thread or one each) with all the proceeds going to the cause?

AGD
09-06-2012, 01:40 AM
Ok new thread stuck.

AGD

Lohman446
09-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Despite the trepidation that some of the threads I have read on other boards contain I'm in.

I have said it before and I will say it again.

If TK says it will take X I believe it will take X. If he thinks this is the best route to go then I will accept it as the best route to go.

I do suggest that the link to indigo be moved to the top of the thread though. Frankly I did not read it all

bbotts77
09-07-2012, 11:48 AM
I do suggest that the link to indigo be moved to the top of the thread though.
It is the very first sticky thread.

Lohman446
09-07-2012, 01:26 PM
I meant edit into the first post of this thread as well.

Ando
09-07-2012, 07:22 PM
http://www.googlepixel.com/images/borged.jpg
That **** will never happen.

AGD
09-08-2012, 01:49 AM
If there is any money left over I will donate it to the Paintball Scholarship Fund. That should take care of the people on the edge.

TK

skipdogg
09-08-2012, 09:28 AM
If there is any money left over I will donate it to the Paintball Scholarship Fund. That should take care of the people on the edge.

TK
Fantastic idea Tom!
Hope that is going well.

aerosaaber
09-09-2012, 12:07 AM
I shared this on my local field's page and plan to put a few $ in once paypal stops acting stupid for me.

Arstron
09-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Tom, I am not sure what server you have in mind or if you want suggestions, but wiredtree offers some great packages and has very good service/support. They will even trasnfer your server for you for free (https://helpdesk.wiredtree.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1441&nav=0,50). They will convert your plesk to cpanel as well since they do not use plesk. Just a thought.

Dayspring
09-16-2012, 02:37 AM
Well, it looks like we'll be getting ourselves a new server and new software.

Kinda happy to see AO'ers pull together for something like this.

Tom - this will be the FIRST time that a Pre-Order actually went well on AO. ;)

shooter311
09-16-2012, 07:45 AM
Well, it looks like we'll be getting ourselves a new server and new software.

Kinda happy to see AO'ers pull together for something like this.

Tom - this will be the FIRST time that a Pre-Order actually went well on AO. ;)

Are we there yet? I thought we were still short some $$$

Dayspring
09-16-2012, 10:40 AM
At this pace, we will get the funds before we hit the end of the campaign.