PDA

View Full Version : Bumper question

salinasjuan12
06-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Is it bad if i use my mag without the bumper underneath the bolt? i cant seem to find one in hardware stores around where i live, so i replaced it with an o ring? haha, im not really sure if it will shoot correctly with that on, any help?

sQuidvision
06-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Yes its bad... you can read about the result of this here:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/air-gun-designs/205049-2nd-brass-level-x-tip-broke-same-valve.html

You can buy bumpers through Tunamart or AGD as well as ebay and several other online retailers. Good luck!

salinasjuan12
06-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Hey man unfortunately i cant order stuff, i also live in costa rica, so i was wondering if i can use an o-ring or something else instead of the bumper?

Ando
06-25-2012, 04:23 AM
Can you get a hold of RTV? :clap:

athomas
06-25-2012, 06:12 AM
RTV silicon should work. Its tough.

salinasjuan12
06-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Ill try to find RTV silicone, actually i was testing my classic mag with an o ring instead of the blue bumper and it seems to work fine, its not making any rough sound when the bolt hit the valve so i hope its absorbing that energy, hopefully....ill try to work with the silicon...thnks mate

athomas
06-27-2012, 05:58 AM
The oring should work, if it is the proper thickness. The problem with the oring is that only a small area of the bolt is making contact with the oring, and that is at the inner edge. The oring won't last very long.

Spider-TW
06-27-2012, 08:59 AM
You could two or three o-rings on there of different sizes like an on/off top, Or put a large one on and fill the gap with RTV (while setting the valve up). Rubber cement might work with that too.

salinasjuan12
06-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Great ideas, thnks a lot guys!!!

athomas
06-27-2012, 06:16 PM
You could two or three o-rings on there of different sizes like an on/off top, The problem with that is holding them in place when the bolt is forward. The outer orings would want to fall off the inner one. Then it would fall down on the powertube and interfere with the bolt return. It needs to be a one-piece or something that can stay in place.

Justus
06-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Is there no way to just.. order a bumper from AGD or Tunaman? The best tool for the job is the one that was intended to be used, right?

I can understand if all this talk is about a quick fix, but it certainly can't be a long-term solution.

athomas
06-27-2012, 08:39 PM
The proper bumper is the correct one. When you are using the level 10, it has a tendency to tear. One way to help prevent this is to glue it to the front of the valve with a rubbery epoxy glue. Don't use anything too permanent. As long as the bumper doesn't migrate when hit with the smaller end of the level 10 bolt it won't tear and become mush after short use. If this happens, you need to find something to quickly throw in there that will protect your valve and still allow it to function, which I guess is where this conversation went.

salinasjuan12
06-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Actually guys i wish i could order things on-line i just dont have a credit card, i live in costa rica and i cant seem to find a way of ordering things online...

Spider-TW
06-28-2012, 12:43 PM
The problem with that is holding them in place when the bolt is forward. The outer orings would want to fall off the inner one. Then it would fall down on the powertube and interfere with the bolt return. It needs to be a one-piece or something that can stay in place.
Agreed, you would have to glue them on.

I looked at buying a sheet of urethane locally once. Expense aside, I didn't want to watch the urethane for the hundred or so extra bumper and seats go to waste.

Some tennis shoe sole might work to sand down and punch out. You never know. You might need your mag to shoot crossbow bolts at zombies.