PDA

View Full Version : Can a Classic valve run a ULT?

Loneassassin
07-16-2012, 09:00 AM
So I've been trying to sell my Pneumag lately and it's looking like nobody wants it as a complete gun.

Anyway, I've been toying with the idea of parting out the X-valve and level 10, and maybe my intelli w/ pneus but keep my ULE body and eventually build it up with a Classic valve and a ULT.

I've decided I don't really need a "Super" Mag like I have but I could be happy with a simple classic valve as long as it had a soft pull like a ULT provides. So, would it work?

Flatliner333
07-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Yes...I have used a classic valve with ULT in a Spydermag conversion.

Spider-TW
07-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Yes...I have used a classic valve with ULT in a Spydermag conversion.

You built your own sear for that, did you not? I always found that the most interesting part.

If you put a ULT in a classic, I suggest you tune it per the instructions and use a rear trigger stop. You'll have a better chance of it resetting if you don't stuff it too far into the on/off top o-ring.

If you're going to buy a ULT anyway, you might try it in the x-valve first, remembering that the classic will not reset as well.

What doesn't work well is to just drop a ULT in and expect it to go. The AGD website says the ULT is not for Classic valves. On pure mechanical classic sears, people often go back to classic or RT on/offs, as the ULT can feel on the squishy side, working or not.

morocomole
07-16-2012, 07:35 PM
ive had good luck with RT on/offs in classic valves...easy install and nice pull, ive had pnue, and ult in both valves, but in classics, try the RT first IMO.

OPBN
07-16-2012, 08:19 PM
I thought ULTs were more or less drop ins for Classics. That would explain some issues I had recently.

Spider-TW
07-16-2012, 08:45 PM
I thought ULTs were more or less drop ins for Classics. That would explain some issues I had recently.

They fit, but that little o-ring in the center gets cranky after a while. They can strangle an x-valve, so it's a trick to keep them happy in a classic.

Jaccen
07-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Wasn't the ULT an alternative for the Centerflag on/off when using a Hyperframe with a Classic? I seem to remember something along those lines.

athomas
07-18-2012, 05:45 AM
Wasn't the ULT an alternative for the Centerflag on/off when using a Hyperframe with a Classic? I seem to remember something along those lines.It was. Part of the problem with the ULT in a classic is that it looses some of its return force after it first opens. If your finger on the trigger doesn't release with a clean motion after the bolt resets, it impedes the proper action. You don't have a problem with electronic frames because the on-off is held closed until the bolt resets and then it opens quickly and clean.