PDA

View Full Version : cutting the sear arm

knownothingmags
07-18-2012, 10:53 PM
so i want to do is make a nasty/dual mag.
benn wanting to do it for about 10 years now just didnt know enough, still dont :D

so what im asking is, if i take and cut the sear arm shorter (the part the sear rod attatches to) and actuate the sear arm with the mpa 3 ram right at the end where i cut it will it stil actuate the same.

im asking because im in the process of putting together two projects that this will apply to and just wondering if this will effect the performance of shooting.

thankyou for any and all help.

KNM

knownothingmags
07-18-2012, 10:53 PM
reserve for pics to explain more.

OPBN
07-18-2012, 11:18 PM
I think Flatliner did something very simliar to what you are describing in having the MPA3 facing up towards the rail and striking the bottom of the sear.

I had been thinking about something like this a well, but couldnt work it out in my head. Kinda figured if it was easy more people would have done it already. I envisioned a custom milled dual rail that positioned the bodies in a sort of inverted V formation. Or having the rails mount to some sort of block that again held the rails in a upside down V offered potential. ... I never got farther than that.

knownothingmags
07-18-2012, 11:22 PM
I think Flatliner did something very simliar to what you are describing in having the MPA3 facing up towards the rail and striking the bottom of the sear.

I had been thinking about something like this a well, but couldnt work it out in my head. Kinda figured if it was easy more people would have done it already. I envisioned a custom milled dual rail that positioned the bodies in a sort of inverted V formation. Or having the rails mount to some sort of block that again held the rails in a upside down V offered potential. ... I never got farther than that.
yeah that is what im thinking, as well. ill have to draw it up see if i can prototype some stuff with my 3d printer or peice if together and and then measure the final mesurments, and have the final product milled from billet.

im still cycling stuff in my head.

sQuidvision
07-18-2012, 11:26 PM
what kind of rail setup do you have currently? i have a couple ideas but would want to make sure they fit in what you are working with.

knownothingmags
07-18-2012, 11:50 PM
what kind of rail setup do you have currently? i have a couple ideas but would want to make sure they fit in what you are working with.
im using or will be using 3 shadow rails and 3 xmt minimag bodies

athomas
07-19-2012, 04:46 AM
Anything that can move the sear will work. You need to be aware of the changes in required force and the distance of travel when moving actuation points, though. If you shorten the distance from the center of the pivot to the point of contact, you will decrease the movement required for the actuator but will increase the required amount of force to activate the sear. This may not be a problem, but you need to be aware of it.

Flatliner333
07-19-2012, 11:18 AM
What if you built a block to hold 3 AM/MM rails side by side. Have one long sear pin that ran through all 3 rails (you would have to cut the slots out of the middle rail). Have the 3 sears welded solid to the 1 long pin and cut the arms off the outer 2 sears. Like this
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo263/patrickmason/Nasty%20Rail/Nastyrails.jpg

knownothingmags
07-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Anything that can move the sear will work. You need to be aware of the changes in required force and the distance of travel when moving actuation points, though. If you shorten the distance from the center of the pivot to the point of contact, you will decrease the movement required for the actuator but will increase the required amount of force to activate the sear. This may not be a problem, but you need to be aware of it.
yeah leverage, got it.:D

thankyou,
KNM

knownothingmags
07-19-2012, 11:27 AM
What if you built a block to hold 3 AM/MM rails side by side. Have one long sear pin that ran through all 3 rails (you would have to cut the slots out of the middle rail). Have the 3 sears welded solid to the 1 long pin and cut the arms off the outer 2 sears. Like this
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo263/patrickmason/Nasty%20Rail/Nastyrails.jpg
damn great idea, but i am doing an inverted V,

im going to just se pneumatics up.

keep ya guys posted when i get ahold of a 3 body and another rail.

OPBN
07-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Like the idea Flatliner. Even for a double barrel, a custom rail could be milled and and arm rigged to sit in the middle..... Hmmm.

OPBN
07-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Like the idea Flatliner. Even for a double barrel, a custom rail could be milled and and arm rigged to sit in the middle..... Hmmm.

Kinda suprised no one has opted to make a small run of these.

Flatliner333
07-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Come to think of it three rails side by side might not work unless you had a reverse valve on the left and maybe a capped classic valve in the middle and then there is the task of feeding the beast paintballs.....wait a minute ...you know what would be crazy...three different custom bodies(Karta/Ripper/Pheonix) with different barrels and anno it could be Hydra the 3 headed dragon and the most expensive Mag ever :eek:

knownothingmags
07-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Come to think of it three rails side by side might not work unless you had a reverse valve on the left and maybe a capped classic valve in the middle and then there is the task of feeding the beast paintballs.....wait a minute ...you know what would be crazy...three different custom bodies(Karta/Ripper/Pheonix) with different barrels and anno it could be Hydra the 3 headed dragon and the most expensive Mag ever :eek:
i have all those bodies but ive got a diff tripple mag in mind. the setup i will go for is a pistol feed so small amount of paint for now.

more of a conversation peice till i get the mounting for 3 warps setup.

i could just do your idea of the hydras with my 3 kartas.? that would be funny.
what colors would be good for a hydra setup red, blue, green?

thankyou for all the help guys,
oh and flat liner that is a great idea, wasnt trying to put your idea down, that is the idea iam doing for my dual mag.

that is my third and easiest project.

thankyou again guys for the help so far.
KNM

Spider-TW
07-19-2012, 01:29 PM

You might be able to angle tap the center valve. You just need to miss the feed through.

Flatliner333
07-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Red / Green / Gold... The "HydraMag" :headbang:

knownothingmags
07-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Red / Green / Gold... The "HydraMag" :headbang:
kartas?

my fall back will be 3 aluminum minimag bodies and 3 shadow rails.

knownothingmags
07-20-2012, 02:31 PM
should have mount prototype done tonight,

son got sick so things are up in the air on time frame.

Chrome
07-21-2012, 09:15 AM
On feeding air to the triple stack idea, how about a standard valve on one side, reverse on the other, and a classic RT in the middle? Would allow you to feed the air through the rail in the middle?

. . . or you could do 3 classic RTs and go hoseless with a custom rail?

luke
07-21-2012, 05:50 PM

Any misalignment before and after welding would likely cause one or more of the bolts to not properly recock.

river031403
07-21-2012, 06:11 PM
welding causes warping which could cause some missalignments

Ando
07-22-2012, 07:11 AM
JB Weld

athomas
07-22-2012, 07:38 AM
The easiest would be to put 3 rams in place. They could be controlled by the same source so they would operate together but wouldn't require any alignment that might throw off the consistent operation of the gun.

knownothingmags
07-22-2012, 08:36 AM
yeppers all of this has been figured out.
prototype is made and now all i need to do is go hang out with a drill press, and lose some weight on the prototype.

BTAutoMag
07-22-2012, 09:25 AM
you said that without a picture... I think he needs to be punished

knownothingmags
07-22-2012, 09:27 AM
you said that without a picture... I think he needs to be punished
workin on it let me lose some weight on this prototype.
once i get the prototype finalized and know if i can cad it out and have someone mill the final prototype out ill start posting stuff up.
slow but finaly doing somthing im talking about.:D:D

BTAutoMag
07-22-2012, 07:06 PM
have someone mill the final prototype out

I do that kind of thing for a living... well cnc porting of engines and cnc vcalve jobs. I minght be able to help. depending on the tooling

Flatliner333
07-22-2012, 08:27 PM
JB Weld

True Dat ....JB Weld is my friend.