PDA

View Full Version : Working with Delrin

OPBN
07-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Can delrin be worked with files and sandpaper similiar to aluminium? I have a CCM pump handle that came in and has a couple of boogers on the front that I would like to see if I can sand out, but dont want the end result to be crappy.

hill160881
07-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Yes it can but I like a air duster to keep things clean.

athomas
07-31-2012, 04:17 PM
I've done delrin before. It is quite soft and sands very easily.

OPBN
07-31-2012, 05:29 PM
I've done delrin before. It is quite soft and sands very easily.
My main concern is finish. I assume it can be finished smooth and not get "dusty" looking? Not sure if I am explaining it correctly. In other words, if I have a delrin pump handle and I sand out the knicks, will I be able to finish sand it so that you can not tell that it has been worked with?

Darring D
07-31-2012, 06:20 PM
HERE'S SOME INFO:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8598037_polish-delrin.html

sorry for yelling!

kchadek
08-01-2012, 05:06 PM
www.mcmaster.com is a good site to compare and buy plastics. It gives the characteristics such has hardness, machinability, and friction and plenty more. It is also a good way to compare different plastics. Although Delrin is very popular it is quite expensive and alternative may have the same features you are looking for. HDPE is a good all around plastic.

OPBN
08-02-2012, 07:48 AM
Not looking to machine anything, just wanting to see if I can sand out the dings in the delring pump handle that I have. Maybe once the kids are grown and gone I can start to afford some milling toys.