PDA

View Full Version : Value of old Automag #457

bfnnrgn
08-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Hello all, I happen to own Automag #457 built way back in the day. I posted on here about it back in 2001 when I was going to upgrade it to a retro valve and got talked out of it. I've kept it all this time along with the other parts. Someone suggested this one might have been made my Tom himself. I've been thinking of selling it as I don't play anymore. What would a piece of history like this be worth?

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/JumpinJim3/IMG-20120805-00139-2.jpg

OPBN
08-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Are you looking for an appraisal of the entire marker or just the valve? Either way, you may want to specify what level the bolt is. Level5? Level 7? TBH, the valve looks a littel chewed up.

bfnnrgn
08-06-2012, 10:25 AM
The whole thing. I just had the valve out. It's old, came out in 1990, and it has been played with. It was upgraded to level 7.

OPBN
08-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Bone stock 68 Classics sell for $90-$120 or so. Pristine examples LNIB with all the paperwork, maybe a little more. Obviously something in really terrble condition may go for less. IIRC, some people are willing to pay more for the Level 5 as a collectors piece, but level 7 bolted valves are aplenty. Unless it's signed by TK or has some extraordinary verifiable history I don't see it being worth much more than what I indicated in the first line. And obviously, it's been used, but tool marks like that around the valve might make some shy away from it.

bfnnrgn
08-07-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm not sure if Tom built it himself or not. One of the mods suggested it was possible. Here's the orginal thread from way back when.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20857

OPBN
08-07-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure if Tom built it himself or not. One of the mods suggested it was possible. Here's the orginal thread from way back when.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20857
Ok, probably just said due to the fact that AGD would have been pretty young at the time and TK touched everything that passed through the doors. I don't see any of the other regulars chiming in or battling over themselves to get ahold of the valve. IMO, unless you have a picture of TK holding it or can verify a thumbprint or something, it isnt really all that valuable. Could be Im wrong, maybe someone else will pop in and offer some additional info. Clicking on your link, I dont recognize any of those names other than Army who one in a blue moon posts up something.

justme-
08-14-2012, 12:37 PM
I doubt there;s much collector value, as has been said. It is an early valve that was likely a level 5 and has been converted. All that really means is the fit and finish of the machining is lesser then later valves and the ports may not line up or be as efficient as later ones unless it was returned for service after they had made changes. I have a 4 digit valve and a "classic". the quality of machining is obvious- tool marks on the earlier that are not on the later - the earlier was sent in for an issue and was updated to level 7 from 6.5, valve port redrilled and such. I posted asking why the differences between them. That said, I am attached to my 4 digit (1600 ish IRRC) because of it's history before me and with me. It's just another black bodied .68 automag, but it's mine.