PDA

View Full Version : Pulling the mag out of storage after 7 years

TheShark
08-24-2012, 12:44 AM
Hey guys,

My bachelor party is this weekend and we're going out for some paintball. I have an RT Pro with a hyperframe that was working sweet the last time I used it (about 7 years ago). The mag was kept in a nice zipped up storage bag free of dust/etc. Other than replacing batteries and will drop some lube in before I screw in the tank, I haven't done anything to it.

I've forgotten most of the techy related stuff about mags, and really I'm just hoping my gun will work this weekend. If anyone can help me anticipate common problems I might have (example - particular o-rings that might need to be replaced?)

I have an unopened parts kit so I'm hoping I'll have everything with me at the field I'll need to potentially troubleshoot. Unfortunately I won't have air (or time really) before then to fire up the gun and test. Any comments are appreciated!

keiko_819
08-24-2012, 01:17 AM
i'd pull the valve out and lube all the orings...hopefully its all you need to do...contgrats

xero28
08-24-2012, 02:02 AM
Yeah, pretty much what Keiko said. Pull the valve, check the o-rings for wear. Some of them might be cracked/broken from drying out over time. If there's no sign of cracks, just lube it up and you should be good to go. Then, when you get to the field and can get some air, drop 5-6 drops of oil into the asa, remove the barrel and dry fire about 30-50 time to get the oil spread through the gun (and not into the barrel). Make sure you dry fire in place that's allowed by the field, some places are sticklers for stuff like that and don't allow even dry firing in places other than on the field where everyone has masks on.

Also something that you might want to look at is the main bolt spring. After time it might be compressed too much. It should stick out past the bolt when removed from the gun. Good luck.

Olsson
08-24-2012, 03:37 AM
I aired up a Micromag that had been in storage for about 10 years. I had taken well care of it beforehand, and it was very well stored. All I had to do was oil it, and switch two o-rings. I didn't even have to replace them, I simply switched the two teflon o-rings in the on/off.

In your case, as has been mentioned, oil will probably solve everything as long as the o-rings aren't broken, in which case your spare parts will easily take care if it. I would consider the Hyperframe to be the weak link, so if you run into any problems, see if you can slap on a mech frame.

TheShark
08-26-2012, 10:31 AM
I did the basic cleaning suggested... went out yesterday and it immediately shot like a champ. Love it!