PDA

View Full Version : How does a regulator react to different air pressures?

Rambozo
02-18-2002, 05:23 PM
I origionally posted this in a bushy forum. I also posted it in the tech forum. But its probably better suited here.

I was wondering what the benefits and drawbacks were of both low pressure operation and high pressure operation. I have started to come to a conclusion that higher consistency can be reached when running at a higher pressure. This assumes that regulation does not change across different pressures. But I really dont know that this is true. Assuming that it is then running a higher pressure would result in better consistency. Because the pressure deviation will be at a lower percentage of the operating pressure. But I also imagine that the higher pressures will be more susseptable to deviations in dwell timing. So in this case the lpr system would have to be top notch. Again Im not shure that this is how regulation scales.

Does anyone know how regulators act when running at different pressures? is it this way or does pressure deviations increase with the pressure? If so this would lead me to believe that there is little no difference between running low pressure or high pressure.

Input would be appreciated.

Rambozo
02-18-2002, 05:30 PM
I do plan on doing tests on myself. But Im curious what people think. Im shure people considered this. I just dont wanna reinvent the wheel here. So if anyone has any idea please share. This knowledge I think is crucial for obtaining optimum consistancy. How does a regulators ability to regulate change from low pressure to high pressure? Thanx again.

AGD
02-19-2002, 02:23 AM
The design of the regulator and the sizing of the various components determines how well a reg handles various pressures. It is not a simple answer. Better consistency usually comes with slower recharge rates but also takes longer. Most of our research on the RT valve was to get the recharge rate up without loosing accuracy.

AGD