PDA

View Full Version : Black SS body

OPBN
10-30-2012, 05:52 PM
What exactly is the black coating that is found on the black SS AM bodiies? I have heard it referred to as teflon coated, is this correct? Will oven cleaner take it off or should I use paint stripper?

Konigballer
10-30-2012, 09:42 PM
WTF! I literally just posted this same question in the main Paintball talk section after you did today! I haven't even come in the Tech forum for a couple weeks. Weird.

But, yeah, I want to find out more about it to. :ninja:

athomas
10-30-2012, 10:01 PM
Teflon spray is typically applied to heated metal and then baked. The heating opens the pores of the metal and allows the spray to penetrate the metal for extra grip. It will probably be hard to remove, but it is possible and should remove with paint stripper. If not, just use sandpaper and steel wool. That always works on stainless steel bodies.

Konigballer
10-31-2012, 08:25 AM
Can it be done at home, or must it be sent to a company specializing in that?

athomas
10-31-2012, 04:14 PM
It can be done at home. You can buy teflon paint.

Konigballer
10-31-2012, 05:31 PM
I gotta check out Lowes then. I wonder if it will be as durable as the kind applied by AGD, that stuff is pretty tough. I might even use it to blacken a polished RT body I have so the gun can match it's factory black twin.

athomas
11-01-2012, 06:06 AM
I don't know if Lowes will have it. They might. They use it on metals such as guns. You might get a lead as to where to buy it by going to a gunsmith.

OPBN
11-01-2012, 07:01 AM
WTF! I literally just posted this same question in the main Paintball talk section after you did today! I haven't even come in the Tech forum for a couple weeks. Weird.

But, yeah, I want to find out more about it to. :ninja:

Yeah, but you want to put it on, I want to take it off...lol.

BTAutoMag
11-01-2012, 07:25 AM
so you just want a plain SS body, power feed left? power feed right? pump milled?

I can just trade you straight up

Tunaman
11-01-2012, 07:38 AM
It's not teflon. These bodies were dipped in acid causing a chemical reaction that turns them black.

OPBN
11-01-2012, 07:40 AM
so you just want a plain SS body, power feed left? power feed right? pump milled?

I can just trade you straight up
Not unless you hava e Centerfeed body to trade.

OPBN
11-01-2012, 07:53 AM
It's not teflon. These bodies were dipped in acid causing a chemical reaction that turns them black.

Any idea which acid was used? How long was it left on? From the way the black is on the body I have, it looks like the body would have been sprayed and not dipped. They definitely would have had to cork it or something since the inside is still raw.

*edit: This looks like the process: http://www.ehow.com/how_8136304_stain-stainless-steel-dark-black.html

DarkApollo
11-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Get it powder coated..? Cheaper than most other coating options.

Konigballer
11-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Any idea which acid was used? How long was it left on? From the way the black is on the body I have, it looks like the body would have been sprayed and not dipped. They definitely would have had to cork it or something since the inside is still raw.

*edit: This looks like the process: http://www.ehow.com/how_8136304_stain-stainless-steel-dark-black.html

I concur. All the black Minimag bodies and RT bodies I've handled, one of which was factory new, have obvious over-spray marks on the inside of the bodies, especially by the ventilated front ends. The inside of the bodies are raw/uncoated as OPBN said. Whatever it is was sprayed on.

mike780
11-01-2012, 07:16 PM
It may well be teflon; I remember that's how it was advertised anyway. As far as getting it redone, I had a stainless model 70 teflon coated by a gunsmith in Williams Lake about ten years ago and the finish is still amazing. Maybe check around for gunsmiths in your area if you want to go the teflon route. It wasn't terribly expensive if I rember correctly (somewhere around 150.00, but that was for everything- breech, bolt, barrel and trigger group).

Konigballer
11-02-2012, 03:46 PM
It may well be teflon; I remember that's how it was advertised anyway. As far as getting it redone, I had a stainless model 70 teflon coated by a gunsmith in Williams Lake about ten years ago and the finish is still amazing. Maybe check around for gunsmiths in your area if you want to go the teflon route. It wasn't terribly expensive if I rember correctly (somewhere around 150.00, but that was for everything- breech, bolt, barrel and trigger group).

Thats a good idea. There are a bunch of gunsmiths in my area, an nowadays there are tons of different firearm finishing companys online. Gotta stay away from Georgia Gunsmithing though, they have a bad reputation on MCB.

BTAutoMag
11-02-2012, 04:39 PM
I talked to the chemical boys at work about stripping it and they said "it needs to be baked off at a high temp... in a well ventalated area... or you will pass out and die. should just flake off after that"

he didnt say how high a temp or for how long but this kinda thing is outta my league :rolleyes:

dont die :headbang:

athomas
11-04-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm pretty sure you can polish it off with an abrasive as if you were polishing a stock stainless body.

audioSLAVE
11-04-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm pretty sure you can polish it off with an abrasive as if you were polishing a stock stainless body.
Yes you can, it just takes a little longer than the bodies with the grey finish. I used sandpaper.

BTAutoMag
11-04-2012, 03:52 PM
what about sandblasting it with glass bead?