PDA

View Full Version : Are we close to getting the XMOD source code released?

Justus
11-05-2012, 01:27 PM
06-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Link (http://www.automags.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2538763&postcount=22)

... I still have 20-30ish programmers here if I sell all of them I will post the fully commented source code on AO.

and...

11-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Link (http://www.niedtech.com/)

I have exactly 5 XMOD programmers left and when they're gone I will not be getting any more.

So, are we really 5 sold programmers away from having Lorne post the fully commented source code for the XMOD software?

Redic
11-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Last I was told tunaman was given all rights to xmod

Justus
11-05-2012, 05:05 PM
That's interesting, I hadn't heard that extent. There is this on the website:
"I have exclusively licensed Tunaman (tunaman5@comcast.net) to install the flash if you'd rather just get your gun flashed."

But I didn't think that meant Tuna owns the right to the source. Not saying he doesn't, just that I didn't know about it if he does. Tuna, wanna weigh in on this one?

BigEvil
11-05-2012, 05:59 PM
If you can actually do something with the code, then you are capable of creating your own and wouldnt need it to begin with.

Justus
11-05-2012, 06:42 PM
If you can actually do something with the code, then you are capable of creating your own and wouldnt need it to begin with.
That's somewhat true. But it takes a lot of time. I do know some programming languages, having mostly taught myself what I needed to know out of necessity. But for the most part that "teaching yourself" thing starts off as a lot of good examples to look through and modify. Also I'm finding that learning assembly is a bit different from other things such as C and C#. There's definitely a learning curve there, and I haven't taken the time to power through it.

I really like XMOD in its current state, but I'd like it even more if some of the excess ramping modes were exchanged for other things such as a game timer, shot count, etc. I do have some manuals and guides downloaded and printed out to make a winter project out of it. But.. you know... a shortcut would save a lot of time.

Probably not going to be an easy way on this one though. I do have some evenings free this winter though, so if I can stay awake while reading more on assembly language I might have something cranked out by spring. Whether that's 2013 or 2023 is a different story, lol