PDA

View Full Version : AO, What is Left to DO??

AGD
03-16-2013, 12:18 AM
All,

Ok we finally have the new look, updated software we are running on a new server and CMS is in the works. What more do we have to do?

Thanks to everyone pitching in, we have a chunk of money left over. Once you say we are done, I will donate it as promised to the Paintball Scholarship Fund. I am open to other suggestions for what to do with the money if everyone agrees.

Please outline any more to-do's

TK

Chrome
03-16-2013, 08:28 AM
First, thank you Bunny (and everyone helping behind the scenes) for making AO look like AO again. Much easier on my eyes to read it. :)

TK, I admire the sentiment of donating the surplus to charity, but I did just have an idea come to mind. Put the excess into some zero risk investment vehicle - effecitvely in trust - to cover the cost of doing this all over again in a few years when tehcnology forces the issue again, or if nothing else, to pay for the recurring maintenance/operating costs of AO? If the point was to keep AO solvent as long as possible?

Cheers!

Fred
03-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Scholarships are cool and all, but the heart and soul of AO is how we Meet. Throw an AO day somewhere.

wimag
03-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Hook Bunny up with a autograped marker for all the work he did. Well deserved. Do some contestes for some autographed t-shirts or something like that.

Patron God of Pirates
03-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Scholarships are cool and all, but the heart and soul of AO is how we Meet. Throw an AO day somewhere.

^this

Bunny
03-16-2013, 12:25 PM
:D The only thing I can think of is the iTrader plug-in.

Dayspring
03-16-2013, 12:56 PM

Yeah - I was thinking that as well. Good thing is, that's free.

Now, I thought we were going to put some of the $ towards the AGD website and store. Is that no longer the case?

Frizzle Fry
03-16-2013, 02:48 PM

Just don't delete the old feedback, or find a way to convert it.

I now have (1) feedback on AOG, (2) on Custom Cockers and (4) on PBN because of the iTrader advent and subsequent disappearance of original feedback threads... It sucks to go from 100+ positive feedback with solid/positive commentary to almost no feedback (7) with a twitter sized blurb for each.

I'm HAPPY that AO has traditional feedback.

sQuidvision
03-16-2013, 03:07 PM
$ towards the AGD website and store. Is that no longer the case?

This!

luke
03-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Now, I thought we were going to put some of the $ towards the AGD website and store. Is that no longer the case?

I don't really like the idea of an event or a scholarship, this is a better idea.

AGD
03-16-2013, 05:10 PM
The store as it turns out is going to stay as it is because it is on a different server and not in danger. I do want to refresh the AGD site but that is not a big deal.

TK

Carnage reigns
03-16-2013, 05:16 PM

I agree. The home page and this needs to happen.

Jaccen
03-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Not sure if I missed it, but the old guides would be nice (ie. Level 10, etc.)

Dayspring
03-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Not sure if I missed it, but the old guides would be nice (ie. Level 10, etc.)

We'll work on that. I'll see if I have some time to work on the CMS with Bunny this week. I'd love to get it to the point where all the pertinent info about AGD products is in one place.

going_home
03-18-2013, 03:16 PM
The store as it turns out is going to stay as it is because it is on a different server and not in danger. I do want to refresh the AGD site but that is not a big deal.

TK

Why not use the money to upgrade the store ?
I thought that was the plan from the beginning.
Add a shopping cart, and the ability to pay with Paypal.
In other words make it more user friendly.
Shouldn't have to call to order things.

:dance:

SoulCoffin
03-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Why not use the money to upgrade the store ?
I thought that was the plan from the beginning.
Add a shopping cart, and the ability to pay with Paypal.
In other words make it more user friendly.
Shouldn't have to call to order things.

:dance:

This, please.

Carnage reigns
03-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Paypal on AGDUSA would be fantastic!!!!!

luke
03-18-2013, 10:10 PM

TK

AO members raised the funds so lets keep the extra funds in house instead of letting go somewhere else. :cool:

BigEvil
03-19-2013, 09:14 AM
I think that there should be a button linking to the AGD Store and website placed somewhere here prominently.

Also - most of the manuals are on the AGD site, links to them would be helpful to people as well IMO.

Dayspring
03-19-2013, 09:30 AM
There's a mod for Vbulletin (need to go find it) that lets you add buttons to the menu bar - like the Forum & What's New? ones.

Stay tuned.

luke
03-19-2013, 10:40 AM
It seems like the header sits crammed up on the top of the page, a small margin above might look better..

Dayspring
03-25-2013, 09:05 AM
There's a mod for Vbulletin (need to go find it) that lets you add buttons to the menu bar - like the Forum & What's New? ones.

Stay tuned.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=228507

Here's the mod for the additional click tabs along the top. If the mods want to install that, I can walk them through setup.

Dayspring
03-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Here's a Spam firewall/post spam mod. It's pretty robust - blocking IP addresses it has on file as well as using the AKISMET API for spam detection.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248042

AGD
03-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Day email me directly.

tk

AO Moderation Team
03-25-2013, 04:39 PM
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=228507

Here's the mod for the additional click tabs along the top. If the mods want to install that, I can walk them through setup.

That plugin wont work in Version 4.2.0

Post 925

Do it in the vb navigation manager this mod only works up to vb4.1

Dayspring
03-25-2013, 04:53 PM
It can actually be done in the Navigation Manager in Settings.

AO Moderation Team
03-25-2013, 05:04 PM
I think that there should be a button linking to the AGD Store and website placed somewhere here prominently.

Also - most of the manuals are on the AGD site, links to them would be helpful to people as well IMO.

It can actually be done in the Navigation Manager in Settings.

Added 2 tabs.............Hows that??

blackdeath1k
03-25-2013, 06:36 PM
I like the quick tech tab. That could be handy at times.

Justus
03-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Just noticed the tabs. Very nice!

How about a quick-reply box on threads now?

Dayspring
03-25-2013, 07:31 PM
Day email me directly.

tk

Email sent.

AO Moderation Team
03-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Just noticed the tabs. Very nice!

How about a quick-reply box on threads now?

Try it now........Posted with Quick Reply.:)

single click = Quick

double click = Advanced

luke
03-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Added 2 tabs.............Hows that??

How about a tab to the Shoebox (http://www.shoeboxcompressor.com/)?

BTAutoMag
03-26-2013, 12:25 PM
chat?

Dayspring
03-26-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm looking into a few options. Stay tuned on this one.

BigEvil
03-26-2013, 02:30 PM
I would like to see a dedicated "TUNABALL" forum on AO. I would like to place to organize past threads and pictures and new ones going forward. I volunteer to mod/organize it.

Bunny
03-26-2013, 02:56 PM
I would like to see a dedicated "TUNABALL" forum on AO. I would like to place to organize past threads and pictures and new ones going forward. I volunteer to mod/organize it.

Instead of a forum, how about access to the CMS feature on AO. You could edit and create as many articles/posts about Tunaball as you want.

Dayspring
03-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Well, I'm working on a picture gallery that we can upload all of the AO event pics to. Tunaball ones are high on my list to start with, then moving to some of the older stuff.

BigEvil
03-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Instead of a forum, how about access to the CMS feature on AO. You could edit and create as many articles/posts about Tunaball as you want.

Im not real familiar with the CMS stuff yet.. but I can make and edit as many threads right now as I like also. Since we are going on year #7 now, there is tons of stuff I could use for a sub forum. I was thinking about making a dedicated website (and I still might) but since TB is the premier AO event nowadays I think it would be better to do it here.

Bunny
03-26-2013, 04:01 PM
My mentality is to keep everything within AO. Many of our favorite sites have come and gone long before AO. I think we need to work together and compile as much information about mags as possible so it doesn't get deleted or lost.

Dayspring
03-26-2013, 04:53 PM
I'm testing out a chat room on the dev forums. Let me know what you guys think.

DEV FORUMS - CLICK HERE (http://dev.nickpapandria.com/forums/forum.php)

luke
03-26-2013, 05:34 PM
I just noticed that there seems to be a 13 character limit to the "Custom User Title".
My existing title is longer than 13, but when I tried to change it will only accept 13.
(?)

Dayspring
03-26-2013, 06:13 PM
I'm testing out a chat room on the dev forums. Let me know what you guys think.

Found a better chatbox. Please go test!

Njt11
03-26-2013, 07:02 PM
Stop me if I am way off base with this but what about giving the money to agd to set up a tent at living ledgends. Its close to shop and you could use the money to take some mags out there and let some people who never had a chance to experience the joy of shooting a mag to get a chance to try it for a couple hours. At the end use the funds to give some mags away as prizes to some lucky winners. I just think it would be awsome to give people the chance to shoot these amazing guns all it takes is a couple shots and your hooked.... I don't know but I'd love to see that.

Dayspring
03-26-2013, 07:05 PM
The $ was raised for a specific reason - redoing the AO website & servers. Anything outside of that would go towards the scholarship fund.

Secondly, Tom has nothing REALLY to do with AGD's daily operations anymore. You're barking up the wrong tree.

Dayspring
03-26-2013, 07:52 PM
Found a better chatbox. Please go test!

Yeah... hold off on this for right now. My webhost just crapped the bed at one of their datacenters. ;)

Bunny
03-26-2013, 08:04 PM
...so should we post the dev site on indiegogo.com? :p

Dayspring
03-26-2013, 09:41 PM
...so should we post the dev site on indiegogo.com? :p

I'm buyin' a house - I won't turn it down. ;)

And the dev site is back up.

Justus
03-26-2013, 10:59 PM
Try it now........Posted with Quick Reply.:)

single click = Quick

double click = Advanced
Wow, I like! I used a quick reply from the "reply with quote" button, which is something I've not seen anywhere else!

Fred
03-27-2013, 08:28 PM
The lack of supporting comments about sponsoring an AO Day only reinforces that an AO Day should be sponsored to remind the old timers, and introduce the youngsters, as to why this place was the stuff of legends...

wimag
03-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Only legendary thing in the past was rippin on Shartley, otherwise it was a post whore fest with a few that thought this site was their personal playground. Best thing to happen was the little factions getting butt sore and establishing their own sites.

BTAutoMag
03-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Only legendary thing in the past was rippin on Shartley,

chat parties were pretty legendary

Fred
03-29-2013, 07:03 AM
Shatnerball. The AO-SE and TX events (which I sadly didn't experience outside of midnight phone calls). NJ-AO Days, now evolved into Tunaball. Far more epic than Shibby or anyone else's bruised egos.

Dayspring
03-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Here's a Spam firewall/post spam mod. It's pretty robust - blocking IP addresses it has on file as well as using the AKISMET API for spam detection.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248042

Installed. Now, between the "secret question" and the APIs that this mod uses, we shouldn't see ANY spam in the forums again.

Bunny
03-29-2013, 01:27 PM
Yay. Now all we need is iTrader.... :p

Dayspring
03-29-2013, 03:02 PM
One thing at a time. :p

Dayspring
04-01-2013, 04:00 PM
iTrader has been enabled.

Please start leaving feedback if possible. It also requires the URL of the deal that the seller & buyer were communicating through.

If people have any issues with it, please let me know and I'll troubleshoot the best I can. Testing it with just Bunny and myself doesn't really stress the system or find places that need improvement.

going_home
04-01-2013, 06:01 PM
The Tunamart and Lukes Customs tabs are a nice touch.

Any vendor with a website can get that option or is there a charge for a webstore tab ?

;)

Bunny
04-01-2013, 06:01 PM

Please start leaving feedback if possible. It also requires the URL of the deal that the seller & buyer were communicating through.

If people have any issues with it, please let me know and I'll troubleshoot the best I can. Testing it with just Bunny and myself doesn't really stress the system or find places that need improvement.

I dont have access to give people feedback..

Bunny, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

:(

going_home
04-01-2013, 06:05 PM

Bunny, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Yeah I just got the same result.
Anyone notice the calender only goes to 2006 ?

Dayspring
04-02-2013, 01:31 AM

Fixed. iTrader sticks the permissions in the Usergroup settings. Forgot to set those. Should be ready to go now.

Bunny
04-02-2013, 06:50 AM
Looks good. :D I suppose I will have to buy/sell some more on AO to boost my feedback rating :D

Frizzle Fry
04-03-2013, 01:10 AM

Thanks guys.

Now I have 0 feedback, people can't leave feedback for sales or trades made without a B/S/T thread, and commentary is limited to a "tweet" rather than a paragraph. This was the last forum to do this that I use, and one of the reasons this is my mains B/S/T forum is that it features(ed) real feedback. We still don't allow signatures (which normally I like) but that means a link to old feedback is something you have to actually send someone.

Dayspring
04-03-2013, 01:18 AM
Thanks guys.

Now I have 0 feedback, people can't leave feedback for sales or trades made without a B/S/T thread, and commentary is limited to a "tweet" rather than a paragraph. This was the last forum to do this that I use, and one of the reasons this is my mains B/S/T forum is that it features(ed) real feedback. We still don't allow signatures (which normally I like) but that means a link to old feedback is something you have to actually send someone.

We can add a profile field that you can put your original thread in if that helps. And as far as I know, signatures are allowed.

Frizzle Fry
04-03-2013, 01:25 AM
We can add a profile field that you can put your original thread in if that helps.

That would be AWESOME.

Sorry; feeling residual grumpiness for the loss of my Custom Cockers (old style feedback deleted), Angel Owners (distapeared), and MCB feedback. Between that and the (accidental?) deletion of my PBN feedback thread I'm down quite a ways from 100+. I was about to log back on and saw the big zero and realized my collective forum feedback is like... seven.

Sorry for being a grumpus.

Dayspring
04-03-2013, 01:49 AM
That would be AWESOME.

Sorry; feeling residual grumpiness for the loss of my Custom Cockers (old style feedback deleted), Angel Owners (distapeared), and MCB feedback. Between that and the (accidental?) deletion of my PBN feedback thread I'm down quite a ways from 100+. I was about to log back on and saw the big zero and realized my collective forum feedback is like... seven.

Sorry for being a grumpus.

Done.

You will see a profile field called Legacy Feedback Thread in your profile in the "About Me" section. Copy and paste your feedback thread URL into that and you're good to go. This way you get the benefit of iTrader going forward without losing the old stuff.

If I can find a way to get this kind of information into iTrader on the feedback page, I will. Unfortunately, that page is pretty well dynamic so I'm not sure if I'll be able to or not.

Frizzle Fry
04-03-2013, 02:26 AM
You are the man, Dayspring. The man.

Carnage reigns
04-07-2013, 06:44 AM
The ability to @ people to call their attention to a certain post. I know that may be too twittery for some ppl though.

BTAutoMag
04-07-2013, 12:17 PM
I know that there's an article section... but where is it?

Laku
04-07-2013, 12:48 PM
You mean this (http://www.automags.org/forums/content.php)?

BTAutoMag
04-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Yes. I'm just wondering where the link is on the page :)

Laku
04-07-2013, 02:19 PM
I don't think there's one, work in progress I think? :)

Bunny
04-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Yes. I'm just wondering where the link is on the page :)

Yep, still working on it. I'm slowly recruiting a few people to help me out with it. It is a really big project, but unfortunately not many people wanted to volunteer to help. It will take a while to gather up all the data and actually write good articles about it. So it will take some time. Once I get a few more articles I will probably add it to the top page. Unless we run out of room :p

Syko89
04-11-2013, 11:29 AM
On the motorcycle forum I am on they have a location link to a Google maps link where any member if they want can input there address for other members to find. Thought this would work here to find other mag shooters

Dayspring
04-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Post a link - I'd like to see this map thing.

Syko89
04-11-2013, 03:14 PM
http://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?action=googlemap

going_home
04-11-2013, 05:58 PM
http://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?action=googlemap

Says you have to login.

But we could use some new emoticons ?

:ninja:

BTAutoMag
04-11-2013, 07:07 PM
I've been wondering about the map thing... but I'm sure only about 20 or so of us are gonna take the time. Maybe we can link it with BEO too

zondo
04-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Well maybe something like PBN has with their listing of stores and fields. It lists how many people on the forum use that store or field. I don't remember if it names the individuals.

Dayspring
04-23-2013, 02:28 PM
I changed iTrader to only show feedback while you're in the BST forums. This should help clean up the look/feel a bit on the normal forums.

You still have the back-end stuff on the user profiles though.

Also want to apologize for the lack of updates on my part recently - we're buying a house and are closing in a month, so I've been rather busy on getting ready. Will try and get the chat room/shoutbox set up this week though.