PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Body

Jongyver
03-27-2013, 09:48 PM
I have been working on a full Carbon fiber body with clamping feed neck and autococker threads. So what do you think? [ATTACH=CONFIG]87662

knownothingmags
03-27-2013, 09:57 PM
nice idea,
but you need to reinforce things,
and that feedneck look alittle, not right.

but good prgress.
but definently has been thought of before.

Jongyver
03-27-2013, 10:10 PM
What needs to be reinforced? The feed neck is the same as a CCM angel thread no rise just shorter. If it was thought of before I haven't seen it.

Cokrkilr
03-27-2013, 10:33 PM
How'd you reinforce the lug inside the body that the spring seats on? That's the only real failure point... have the bolt barrel and a paintball going down the feild... id actually pay to see it.

Looks nice and clean though, good job on it

knownothingmags
03-27-2013, 10:44 PM
oh im just saying do a little more r&d

Justus
03-27-2013, 11:35 PM
Threaded detent?

Frizzle Fry
03-27-2013, 11:49 PM
This brings to mind a Honda I once saw; 2 inches off the ground, carbonfiber doors, wheels, roof, hood, and spoiler. Easily $20,000 in carbonfiber to knock off a maybe 75lb. Then it parked, and the two 6'3" 350lb Samoan guys got out.

Still, really cool. I like the look, time to cap that valve and get a UL'ed rail though!

Cokrkilr
03-28-2013, 02:47 AM
Eh, don't let em bring ya down. And that's coming from the guy with the negative opinion on everything. As long as you've got the breach area dialed in there is no reason for itt to work....

That being said... I don't see how a 8 thread feedneck made I into a 1/8" thick body. The thread space on my ule is about 1/4". More detailed pics would be great

athomas
03-28-2013, 11:29 AM
If the dimensions of the carbon fiber body are the same as a ULE body, the savings will be about 2oz. The key to making a successful body, will be using a good epoxy resin that has good structural properties so the body stays rigid. They do make epoxy that has good rigid properties, but it usually lacks in wear ability and vise versa. If you can find a good combination, you might be able to build the body washer into the body design so that it will absorb any impact without permanent mushrooming. The other option would be to mold the steel body washer into the body when the body is being poured.

Jongyver
03-28-2013, 09:10 PM
The feed neck is not threaded, it goes all the way through the body. It has a nubbin style detents similar to the twist lock barrels. I did not use epoxy on this, it comes apart to be able to change detents and to clean it.The detents don't go through the body. 87666

Cokrkilr
03-28-2013, 09:16 PM
That's pretty slick. All doubts have been alleviated!

Nice work. Good to see something done and not just talked about ;)

So is that pretty much just a docs machine adapter further milled to fit the neck and be the body lug/ spring seat? If that made sense, haha

blackdeath1k
03-28-2013, 09:20 PM
That is pretty sweet. And looks like a decent amount of time has gone in to it. And deff thinking outside the box with that feed neck. I like.

Interested in how this holds up long term.

koleah
03-29-2013, 12:22 AM
carbonfiber ..., wheels,

Carbon fiber wheels?

knownothingmags
03-29-2013, 12:40 AM
The feed neck is not threaded, it goes all the way through the body. It has a nubbin style detents similar to the twist lock barrels. I did not use epoxy on this, it comes apart to be able to change detents and to clean it.The detents don't go through the body. 87666

i think athomas meant the epoxy that is used in the CF when it is made :D

athomas
03-29-2013, 07:31 AM
i think athomas meant the epoxy that is used in the CF when it is made :DYes, this is what I meant.

I do like the design of the feedneck. It is and interesting concept, and as long as it can hold the body from moving, it should provide stability for the hopper. Is the body insert made of stainless or aluminum? If it is an aluminum insert, you could put a steel body washer behind it to provide protection. If it is steel, it will probably be ok as is.

Frizzle Fry
03-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Carbon fiber wheels?

Carbon fiber wheels.

mpsd
03-29-2013, 06:27 PM
I love that idea! Make a CF rail to go with it, add a MoFo barrel, an AGD CF frame and a DW CF foregrip and you just can't have a lighter Mag.