PDA

View Full Version : New Immortal Air adjustable reg from the people who brought us Air America

BigEvil
06-26-2013, 06:27 PM
http://immortalair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=IA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Aura

Hmmm adjustable :)

rukh013
06-26-2013, 06:39 PM
O
my
god

going_home
06-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Think they might be a bit late to the game ?

Ninja seems to be on top of their game.

luke
06-26-2013, 06:42 PM
How can they be late, haven't they been here from the beginning?
:)

Levi
06-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Sounds like its adjustable over the full range rather than increments like the Ninja regs. If that's the case I might have to pick one up.

Can anyone confirm this?

BigEvil
06-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Sounds like its adjustable over the full range rather than increments like the Ninja regs. If that's the case I might have to pick one up.

Can anyone confirm this?

Im trying to get answers on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ImmortalAir/526211510761288/?comment_id=526226664093106&notif_t=group_comment_reply

Syko89
06-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Hi pressure 850psi. No good

going_home
06-26-2013, 07:25 PM
How can they be late, haven't they been here from the beginning?
:)

Air America hello ?

I'm saying making a comeback might be tough because Ninja regs are hard to beat, and they own a large market share.

longi
06-27-2013, 01:53 PM
That's it I'm virtually sold, reviews depending I'm buying 2!!

longi
06-27-2013, 02:01 PM
That was until the price for shipping came to £75.75 to the UK! Really? REALLY? :wow: They're having a cold bath!! £75 nik naks for shipping? Looks like I'll be waiting for a UK dealer then........:(

luke
06-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Air America hello ? I'm saying making a comeback might be tough because Ninja regs are hard to beat, and they own a large market share.

Sorry, but I don't understand that way of thinking.

Are you saying you wouldn't support an AGD come back with new products because there are so many good markers currently fulfilling players demand? ;)

going_home
06-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Sorry, but I don't understand that way of thinking.

Are you saying you wouldn't support an AGD come back with new products because there are so many good markers currently fulfilling players demand? ;)

I'm saying I already have two Ninja regs (one SHP) and they are bulletproof, and I wouldnt buy more because I already have the best.

;)

Chronobreak
06-27-2013, 05:21 PM
i got burnt with myth regs last time i jumped on that bandwagon, I will stick with ninja, my concern with these would be recharge rate

Frizzle Fry
06-27-2013, 05:26 PM
We've got advantages and disadvantages on both sides...

OPBN
06-27-2013, 05:32 PM
Hi pressure 850psi. No good

Agreed.

Fred
06-27-2013, 06:24 PM
I shall stick to my 4500 flatline with 1100psi output and continue to guard my 3 extra reg seats like they're solid gold... ;)

debruynda
06-27-2013, 07:14 PM
I'm saying I already have two Ninja regs (one SHP) and they are bulletproof, and I wouldnt buy more because I already have the best.

;)

Agreed. I ran an SHP on my mag at tunaball for the first time and thats all I plan on using. Big difference between 850 (I think that is near the high end for the Ninja adjustable anyway) and 1100.

[NA]WARLORD
06-27-2013, 07:56 PM
I agree with Going_Home on this one, Ninja has him beat by 16.00. Ninja's basic reg is adjustable between 450 - 850 just like Dans, but it's 16.00 cheaper. Most people I know would take the savings over the name and rep of someones past. My question, where are the regs manufactured ? Since all the media hype has yet to mention this.

BigEvil
06-27-2013, 08:37 PM
WARLORD;2833761']I agree with Going_Home on this one, Ninja has him beat by 16.00. Ninja's basic reg is adjustable between 450 - 850 just like Dans, but it's 16.00 cheaper. Most people I know would take the savings over the name and rep of someones past. My question, where are the regs manufactured ? Since all the media hype has yet to mention this.

There are a few weaknesses in the Ninja regs. The reg pin spring is very weak and they tend to creep, bad at times. Probably not as bad an issue for mag shooters, but the LP guns are having some issues with them.

luke
06-27-2013, 09:10 PM
I wonder if the IA regs could be tuned to output another 100-150 psi?

AGDRetro
06-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Aluminum bonnet into aluminum ASA? Not a fan - want me a nickel plated brass bonnet.

GoatBoy
06-27-2013, 10:22 PM
Howasabout we stop calling preset regs "adjustable".

My Nitro Duck X-stream is adjustable.

My AA Raptor Rex is adjustable.

My non-functional Hyperflow 201 if it were working would be adjustable.

Ninja's and this Aura?

NOT ADJUSTABLE.

[NA]WARLORD
06-27-2013, 11:35 PM
If I can add a spring/shim to get a desired output pressure, then yes, it's adjustable.

GoatBoy
06-28-2013, 01:25 AM
WARLORD;2833777']If I can add a spring/shim to get a desired output pressure, then yes, it's adjustable.

Oh dear. Here we go.

For starters, please name one regulator out there which *cannot* have its output pressure changed by swapping out a spring or shimming with ... er, shims.

Aura:

"Fully adjustable output pressure range via the Quick Pack™/Spring Pack – Allows for fast, precision output pressure conversion"

"Hi pressure 850psi or mid pressure 550 psi." - Larry Taylor

I think the marketing department is taking a few liberties with the phrase "fully adjustable", unless I'm missing something.

Ninja:

If you can shim it to your "desired output pressure", then it's adjustable. OK, I can go with that.

If you can't shim it to your "desired output pressure", is it then fair game to say it's not adjustable?

Let's try some math!

There are two shim sizes, a thick and a thin one.

The thick one does you, what, about 100PSI per shim.

The thin one does, what, 50PSI? Just a ballpark, you'll see why in a bit.

Assume a starting pressure of 650PSI, what combination of shims will give me my "desired output pressure" of 725PSI for my X-valve?

Frizzle Fry
06-28-2013, 02:48 AM
I generally disagree with Goatboy about everything, but in this case I agree wholeheartedly. This has always bugged me because there are actual adjustable regulators out there and frankly it's misleading to bill these as such... Granted I have yet to see a screw-in adjustable regulator but I've also never seen a screw-in that couldn't be shimmed up or down to a different output pressure.

Honestly, I don't think any regulator that can't be adjusted under pressure should be considered "adjustable".

GoatBoy
06-28-2013, 11:46 AM
I generally disagree with Goatboy about everything, but in this case I agree wholeheartedly.

What? Me? No, no you must be talking about some other GoatBoy.

Granted I have yet to see a screw-in adjustable regulator but I've also never seen a screw-in that couldn't be shimmed up or down to a different output pressure.

Nitro Duck X-stream. And by way of cheesing it, the Ninja. See later. It would be nice if a manufacturer stepped up and filled the vacancy in adjustable regs (screw-in or not) instead of trying to muscle into the overpopulated preset space.

Not only is it about being able to adjust it while under pressure, but it's about the granularity of adjustment steps. With the big spring packs or belleville washers, you have very large adjustment steps.

Even with shims you still have large relatively large adjustment steps.

Dirty tactics: I actually have tried adjusting my ninja's output pressure. And I managed to make it pretty much hit 725.

I kept noticing that the output adjustment on the ninjas was somewhat erratic. Take a shim out -- 600. Put a shim in -- 800. Take the same one back out -- 700. WTF?

Judging by the shim thickness, I realized that how tightly you screw that bonnet on can affect output pressure. So I varied, ever so slightly, the position of how tightly I screwed it on and locked it down, and managed to hit roughly 725. I don't know how stable it's going to be though.

BigEvil
06-28-2013, 11:56 AM
What?
Dirty tactics: I actually have tried adjusting my ninja's output pressure. And I managed to make it pretty much hit 725.

I kept noticing that the output adjustment on the ninjas was somewhat erratic. Take a shim out -- 600. Put a shim in -- 800. Take the same one back out -- 700. WTF?

Judging by the shim thickness, I realized that how tightly you screw that bonnet on can affect output pressure. So I varied, ever so slightly, the position of how tightly I screwed it on and locked it down, and managed to hit roughly 725. I don't know how stable it's going to be though.

The reg pin springs are VERY WEAK on the ninja regs, which can make them do really weird things at times.

Frizzle Fry
06-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Maybe a better system would be to say any regulator that needs to be disassembled to change the output pressure should not be considered "adjustable" but "customizable" output?

Oh and I had the exact same issue with my first generation Ninja. The "pro" model seemed to have very defined increments.

Spider-TW
06-28-2013, 12:46 PM
There are two shim sizes, a thick and a thin one.

The thick one does you, what, about 100PSI per shim.

The thin one does, what, 50PSI? Just a ballpark, you'll see why in a bit.

Assume a starting pressure of 650PSI, what combination of shims will give me my "desired output pressure" of 725PSI for my X-valve?

3/4's of the 100psi shim, or 1 and 1/2 50psi shims.

Do I win?

wimag
06-28-2013, 01:11 PM
Been using Ninja when they first came out. Best product out there, phenomenal customer service. When and if someone comes out with something better I may look into it. Too many opinions from too many people who at one time or another backed or supported a massive failure product for me to look anywhere else.

GoatBoy
06-28-2013, 03:17 PM
3/4's of the 100psi shim, or 1 and 1/2 50psi shims.

Do I win?

If you can successfully shave off 1/2 a silver shim or 1/4 off a 100psi shim height wise, yes, you absolutely win!

[NA]WARLORD
06-28-2013, 05:03 PM
I see your point about "YOUR" desired pressure but just because it doesn't cover every stage of psi on the market does not mean it's not adjustable to others needs. If the Xvalve was the only valave technology on the market, this would be an issue, but since it's not, well, stick with your XFire. I had one, hated it, always felt like my bottomline/drop was loose and it was the reg the entire time. Cool concept at the time, but I went with Crossfire and have used them and PMI ever since. I did have a Ninja reg once, wasn't bad, but i prefer the shortness of the Stealth over the Ninja.

blackdeath1k
06-28-2013, 05:31 PM
If you can successfully shave off 1/2 a silver shim or 1/4 off a 100psi shim height wise, yes, you absolutely win!

If you know the actual thickness you need ya can prob Buy shims on line. I can get motor shims of any thickness. But still I don't call that an adjustable regulator.

To me. An adjustable reg is one I can change in seconds like my gun velocity. If I've got to tear it apart. And swap out parts. That is not really an adjustable reg.

[NA]WARLORD
06-29-2013, 04:39 AM
An adjustable reg is one I can change in seconds like my gun velocity. If I've got to tear it apart. And swap out parts. That is not really an adjustable reg.

That would make it automatically adjustable, to remove a bonnet and swap springs/shims makes it manually adjustable. I guess you guys weren't around back in the pump days when the only way to change your velocity was with a spring kit ....

Levi
06-29-2013, 10:31 AM
To me. An adjustable reg is one I can change in seconds like my gun velocity. If I've got to tear it apart. And swap out parts. That is not really an adjustable reg.

That exactly matches my idea of what an "adjustable" regulator is. Its just terminology though, and I don't care what people want to call it.

What interests me is a regulator that adjusts over its full range rather than in discreet steps. Also that I can adjust it externally without disassembly. These are features that I love about my Dynaflow and Flatline regs.

Frankly, if I have to take it apart to "adjust" it then I'm just not interested. I have a few of those sitting around already, some get used some don't... and I don't need any more of them.

p8ntbal4me
06-29-2013, 12:51 PM
Howasabout we stop calling preset regs "adjustable".

My Nitro Duck X-stream is adjustable.

My AA Raptor Rex is adjustable.

My non-functional Hyperflow 201 if it were working would be adjustable.

Ninja's and this Aura?

NOT ADJUSTABLE.

I agree with this,.. and with the opposite end of the argument as well.

If you can change the pressure on the fly AND with the removal addition of springs/shims,... its adjustable.

HOWEVER,.... since the regs. back then were "adjustable on the fly",..... id like to see them fall into a catagory of their own,....

GoatBoy
06-29-2013, 04:32 PM
WARLORD;2833839']I see your point about "YOUR" desired pressure but just because it doesn't cover every stage of psi on the market does not mean it's not adjustable to others needs.

Man, your criteria for "adjustable" is on the one end so broad that it covers every existing regulator, and on the other end allows for regulators which can't do what the end user wants. Most of what you say seems very off-the-cuff and not very well thought out...

WARLORD;2833839']If the Xvalve was the only valave technology on the market, this would be an issue,

Anyone recognize this, and why it's relevant to my point?

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/qvzw6.ewf2b/v/vspfiles/photos/EMPIRETRRACERVELOCITYADJUSTER-2.jpg?1366296987

WARLORD;2833839']but since it's not, well, stick with your XFire. I had one, hated it, always felt like my bottomline/drop was loose and it was the reg the entire time. Cool concept at the time, but I went with Crossfire and have used them and PMI ever since. I did have a Ninja reg once, wasn't bad, but i prefer the shortness of the Stealth over the Ninja.

The X-fire doesn't wobble when under pressure. It only wobbles when empty. I've got one sitting right here at about 2k PSI.

If you like something else for form factor reasons, that's fine. Not really to the point though.

blackdeath1k: I read somewhere the thicknesses were 0.005" and 0.022". So the lil guys are crazy thin.

Frizzle Fry
06-29-2013, 04:34 PM
Goatboy... Nelson bolt adjustment tool?

wimag
06-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Goatboy... Nelson bolt adjustment tool?

tried and true technology. Bulletproof and so so simple to maintain. current markers still use em. Empire Trraccers, the new Kingman Hammer pump guns.

GoatBoy
06-29-2013, 10:20 PM
That's correct!

So... the X-valve isn't the only valve/gun that could use an adjustable regulator.

I love my Empire Trracer.

But there were two things they carried forward in the reissue which they shouldn't have.

One of those was the @%#$%@#$@#%#$^@$^#$%#!^@$#^@#$%#^*^&%$# Civil War era musket loading style velocity adjuster.

blackdeath1k
06-29-2013, 10:38 PM
Man, your criteria for "adjustable" is on the one end so broad that it covers every existing regulator, and on the other end allows for regulators which can't do what the end user wants. Most of what you say seems very off-the-cuff and not very well thought out...

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/qvzw6.ewf2b/v/vspfiles/photos/EMPIRETRRACERVELOCITYADJUSTER-2.jpg?1366296987

The X-fire doesn't wobble when under pressure. It only wobbles when empty. I've got one sitting right here at about 2k PSI.

If you like something else for form factor reasons, that's fine. Not really to the point though.

blackdeath1k: I read somewhere the thicknesses were 0.005" and 0.022". So the lil guys are crazy thin.

I normally don't say this either. BUT. I agree with this 100%

As for the shims. I work at a motor shop. Some of the shims we use disappear if you look at them sideways. So I'm sure I could get shims any thickness needed.

river031403
06-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Air America made some very nice reliable regs that still work to this day! Here's an example of one
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/misc-paintball-items/236703-air-america-apocolypse-reg-very-clean-fs.html#post2746651

blackdeath1k
06-30-2013, 06:46 PM
That was a 600 dollar tank when new. Heavy as heck also. But bomb proof.

[NA]WARLORD
06-30-2013, 07:14 PM

Not every Nelspot/Clone came with one of those unless you paid for the adjustable bolt upgrade. At best most bore drop bolts were anti-kink and non adjustable, the reason why there were so many Nelson Spring kits that saturated the market, or the reason why power tubes ranged in size from 00 - 06.

Mine wouldn't pass re-hydro because of it, thats why I sold it and got the Crossfire. It wobbled when aired up and when empty.

GoatBoy
07-01-2013, 02:47 AM
WARLORD;2833995']Not every Nelspot/Clone came with one of those unless you paid for the adjustable bolt upgrade. At best most bore drop bolts were anti-kink and non adjustable, the reason why there were so many Nelson Spring kits that saturated the market, or the reason why power tubes ranged in size from 00 - 06.

Regardless, all of that stuff sucks, and it's much easier to just adjust a regulator output.

WARLORD;2833995']
Mine wouldn't pass re-hydro because of it, thats why I sold it and got the Crossfire. It wobbled when aired up and when empty.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. .. how does a wobbly reg cause a tank to fail hydro?